I'm looking to buy a video camera...

All issues related to the Highland Games, throwing, Scottish events/culture/history, etc., and just generally hanging out with friends

I'm looking to buy a video camera...

Postby Rich McClain on Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:10 am

... any recommendations. Budget is minimal, around $50 - $100, at best. number of mega pixels? Ease of transferring to computer?
Richard McClain
JUST SHUT UP AND TRAIN!
Rich McClain

Re: I'm looking to buy a video camera...

Postby mike melia on Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:29 pm

Rich,

If you want this for analyzing throws, you don't need much. It should, of course, have an lcd screen. You'll need to have a slow playback (1/2 or 1/4 speed) and preferablly, frame-by-frame advance. This allows you the throw, then review. A remote control is a must. Extras batteries may not be necessary, but are nice to have (especially for long sessions).

The pure digital camcorders make transferring to the computer a snap, since the video is stored on a flash memory card. However, you have to check the specs as many cut back on features you want, like frame-advance, but give it the ability to play MP-3s.

Tape camcorders can be had fairly cheap, but you have to check to see if it has a USB or iLINK (aka firewire) connection for transfers to the PC. Aiptek makes a line of inexpensive digital camcorders ($75-$200) that fit the bill and have acceptable quality.

Tape camcorders can be had fairly cheap with a surprising number of features, but you have to check to see if it has a USB or iLINK (aka firewire) connection for transfers to the PC.
I'm afraid, Dave. Dave, my mind is going. I can feel it. I can feel it. My mind is going. There is no question about it. I can feel it.
HAL 9000
mike melia

Re: I'm looking to buy a video camera...

Postby Rich McClain on Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:45 pm

Thanks for the info, Mike. You are correct, I am looking for a video camera to video myself and break down what I am doing wrong or could be doing differently. Now I just have to wait for that income tax refund to come in.
Richard McClain
JUST SHUT UP AND TRAIN!
Rich McClain

Return to General discussion