Passing of John Gall

All issues related to the Highland Games, throwing, Scottish events/culture/history, etc., and just generally hanging out with friends

Passing of John Gall

Postby Kevin&DebAnderson on Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:36 am

John Gall passed away Tuesday night. We do not know all the details. His mother called us at
1 am. I will post more tonight when we know more.
Deb Anderson
Kevin&DebAnderson

Re: Passing of Brother John Gall

Postby The McKenzie on Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:10 am

Whatever he was going through, it is in God's hands now.. Let us simply honor the memory of a brother as we knew him. My fervant prayers go out for his family and loved ones. Espically for Kevin and Deb who were so close to John.. Having served over forty years in the law enforcement profession I know its hazzards and the toll it takes on a person.. You just never know.. You just don't.. I am most thankful for my association with my dear friends in the Scottish Community, they have kept me steady for a lot of years. God Bless you my brother in arms John Gall (WVASP), and give you eternal peace at the final roll call.! You were a happy warrior while you were in camp! Kevin, I pray God's strength for you and Deb as you assist the family through these events. Thanks so much for being a verty big man.. God Bless us all, we all need God's hand for our different reasons! You just never know! PAX! Aye, Dave
The McKenzie

Re: Passing of John Gall

Postby The McKenzie on Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:13 am

No comments about the avatar. it was added by a friend for me some time ago as a joke and I didn't know how to remove it for the above message. Stick to the message. dsmck
The McKenzie

Postby Tim on Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:30 am

I only ever had the chance to throw with him when I was out in McHenry. He was always a joy to throw with- always smiling and laughing. I will miss throwing with him. My deepest sympathies go out to his family and to Kevin and Deb.
"I love to sing, and I love to drink Scotch. Most people would rather hear me drink Scotch."- George Burns.

Rock the House
Tim

Postby Steph Riley on Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:38 am

I'm stunned. Thanks Deb and Kevin for passing on the info and I'm so sorry for your loss. It is our loss, too. John was a very sweet guy, always had a smile for you. He was so young. I'm very sorry to hear about this. My prayers go out to his family and to you all.
Steph Riley

Postby FrankH on Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:14 am

John was a great guy with a big heart. I remember him running back and forth tending to Clan responsibilities and throwing, always with a big smile and a great attitude. I am stunned at his passing at such a young age; it is a huge loss for us all. God bless John, his family and friends.
"...never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never... " --Winston Churchill

"A goal without a plan is just a wish". --Larry Elder
FrankH

Postby Mike Wills on Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:46 am

The story seems to be out everywhere now. Let's try to provide as much support for Kevin and Deb as possible throughout this process...they were very close with John.
Last edited by Mike Wills on Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Wills

Postby jim on Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:18 pm

Rest in peace, John.
I'm not mean, you're just a sissy.
jim

Postby Sheaf daddy on Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:31 pm

He was always such a positive guy wanting to learn and enjoy the games. He will be sorely missed.

Bryan
Trish: Colin go get your bike and put it away!

Colin: Okay but someone is going to swoop down, stop, take a picture and sell it on the internet.
Sheaf daddy

Postby Clancelt on Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:31 pm

Not sure what to think or say. He was a clan brother who I spent time with at many a festival. I really don't understand this.
I'll spank you smartly with my spank ray.
Clancelt

Postby The McKenzie on Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:33 pm

I spoke with Deb Anderson 1330 hours this date. Kevin is over at John's mothers house trying to get things under control. What a marvelously strong woman Deb is. She says she is OK for now. Kevin is taking this hard. He and john were as brothers. Eventually we will all know everything there is to tell but for now, ask God for strength for Kevin and protection for John's family. Aye, Dave
The McKenzie

Postby Mike Wills on Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:41 pm

Agreed 100% Dave. Most will never know how much Kevin and Deb have done to support our MASA organization...and all the sacrifices they have made in the name of the athletes. If anyone can provide a word of support I'm sure it will be appreciated.
Mike Wills

Postby hmckenzie on Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:22 pm

Wow, I think I am on the same page as everyone else, shocked. I personally will remember him as the friendly, positive guy who was as dedicated to athletics as he was to his own clan organization. He and his family were always at Grandfather welcoming me and my own family with a shady spot to sit, or a food supply that seemed to magically replenish itself. I am lucky to have known him, and he will definitely be missed. The Andersons as well as John's family are in my thoughts and prayers.
HMAC
hmckenzie

Postby Clancelt on Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:23 pm

Couple of pics I had of John from Ohio and Grandfather Mountain. Something from better times.

Have no idea what caused him to do this. He was very proud of being an officer, we talked about it often. He never once said anything bad about the force, so I can't imagine what was going on. I know he had some rough times, but nothing I would think would build up to this. Life is unpredictable.

FFF,
-Eric
I'll spank you smartly with my spank ray.
Clancelt

Postby mike melia on Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:52 pm

May John finally have the peace that eluded him.
I'm afraid, Dave. Dave, my mind is going. I can feel it. I can feel it. My mind is going. There is no question about it. I can feel it.
HAL 9000
mike melia

Postby Mrs. T-Bone on Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:50 pm

The tears on my keyboard, won't be the last, I'm sure. Kevin & Deb my heart hurts for both of you and John's family. Know that you all are loved and there are people here that will do anything we can do to help. I will miss yelling for John to come throw while he was attending to others. I'm sure Bob has his big arm around him giving him what for. May there be peace.
Familiarity breeds consent...
Steph Stewart Fitzsimmons
Mrs. T-Bone

Location: Somewhere between the pool in Sarasota, the York river in Gloucester and the next game field

Postby Rich McClain on Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:01 pm

I met John at Bridgeport and thought, what a great guy. He always had a smile on his face and seemed to just enjoy life all together. We crossed paths again at McHenry, Ligonier, and Wellington, OH where he apologized for beating my hwfd by 1/2 an inch. He wasn't the greatest thrower by distance but he was tops by heart. He will be sorely missed!

My condolences to his family, Deb and Kevin.
Richard McClain
JUST SHUT UP AND TRAIN!
Rich McClain

Postby bjketchem on Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:35 pm

my prayers go out for him and all of those who knew him.
I will be the new, improved and almost as good-looking Mike Wills.
bjketchem

Postby Beau Fay on Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:17 pm

This is extremely sad news to hear. I enjoyed throwing and chatting with John over the past 4 years out at McHenry, Grandfather Mountain and the Leesburg Games. I am really sad to hear about this. May he rest in peace.

Beau
I kinda like goldfish... live.
Beau Fay

Postby Jeff Storey on Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:02 pm

wow, this is very hard to hear. My thoughts and prayers go out to his friends and family. May he rest in peace.
I used to think this kitchen was big, until I saw you guys in here...
-AGM's mom
Jeff Storey

Postby John Shingler on Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:40 pm

There are people that you just expect to see. There always seemed to be certain permanents for me when traveling to Bridgeport. We have lost someone of tremendous decency, courtesy, and heart. To all of my MASA family, John's direct family, and to Kevin and Deb I extend most sober condolences and I will most certainly be praying for strength for all who have been touched by this man.

-John Shingler
John Shingler

Postby JoshRaab on Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:18 pm

I am shocked and saddened by this loss to the Highland Games community and to all who knew John. As most people have already said, the one inescapable fact about John was that he always had a smile for you, no matter how crazy his day was. I will miss talking and laughing with him. My heart goes out to his family and the Andersons in this difficult time.
JoshRaab

Postby Largemilk on Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:52 pm

This is indeed very sad news. My best to the Anderson's and everyone closest to John. I will miss him greatly at Bridgeport this year even though I'm sure we will all see his spirit in each other... and raise another cheer for another warrior to leave our presence.
Largemilk

Postby CelticElf66 on Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:46 am

Our thoughts and prayers will be with the Galls and the Andersons especially. May he rest in peace.
Alexandra Duncan

"Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going." - Jim Ryun

Live simply, Love generously, Care deeply, Speak kindly.
CelticElf66

Postby Dan Jackson on Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:01 pm

A great competitor and even better man. John will be missed by all that knew him, Godspeed John.
"Son, you haven't lived until you've had crabs." ~ Advice from my friend's Dad upon hearing that we were both going to collage.
Dan Jackson

Postby agm on Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:08 pm

I tend to stay in the eastern side of MASA territory, and up at a few Pennsylvania games. So as far as I can remember, I only threw with John once, last year. I didn't know him well, but it was pretty clear that he was a good guy, and it was obvious that he was well-liked and respected by those who did know him better. It's a big loss to all.
agm
Site Admin

Postby randy on Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:10 pm

this is rough.
like JShingler said, we expect to see certain people in certain places. John helped open up the Bport games.
Good guy. lots of laughs.
another reminder that we can't take anyone for granted.
Kev&Deb, i hope to see you tomorrow.
r
raw Gall!
STAY HUNGRY!!
randy

Postby Chad Ashton on Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:25 am

I worked with John for 7 years and I am still in shock and deeply saddened. Even though I know some details most will never learn, it still does not explain why such a seemingly happy man would go to such an extreme. Even though we worked together, over the last couple years John and I lost contact and I deeply regret that. I will miss this man more than most will ever realize. My heart goes out to John's family and to Kevin and Deb and to the MASA family.
Chad Ashton

Postby Gellatly on Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:34 pm

I am in total shock , I just saw this this morning my mind is blown.

I called a couple prosecutor friends and about the supposed "details" and I just can not put things together
Per Ardua !
Gellatly

Postby Tearlach on Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:56 am

I also threw with John several times and he always seemed to be a great guy. I also found out that he was a brother of the craft which bears out that he was truley a good man. I hope that he truley is at peace and that T-Bone will I'm sure, look after him till we meet again.

Chuck Wagner
Live everyday like it's your last, enjoy life,love your family, leave nothing but spent energy on the game field, so that when the final summons comes, you can leave this world with no regrets.
Chuck
Tearlach

Location: Mechanicsburg, Hampden Township, Cumberland County, Pennsylvania

Next

Return to General discussion