Hogmanay

All issues related to the Highland Games, throwing, Scottish events/culture/history, etc., and just generally hanging out with friends

Hogmanay

Postby CelticElf66 on Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:35 pm

Hogmanay (pronounced IPA: [ˌhɔɡməˈneː] —) is the Scots word for the last day of the year and is synonymous with the celebration of the New Year (Gregorian calendar) in the Scottish manner. It is, however, normally only the start of a celebration which lasts through the night until the morning of New Year's Day (1 January) or, in some cases, 2 January which is a Scottish Bank Holiday.

There are many customs, both national and local, associated with Hogmanay. The most widespread national custom is the practice of 'first-footing' which starts immediately after midnight. This involves being the first person to cross the threshold of a friend or neighbour and often involves the giving of symbolic gifts such as salt (less common today), coal, shortbread, whisky, and black bun (a rich fruit cake) intended to bring different kinds of luck to the householder. Food and drink (as the gifts) are then given to the guests. This may go on throughout the early hours of the morning and well into the next day (although modern days see people visiting houses until 3 January). The first-foot is supposed to set the luck for the rest of the year.
I have been told that the person "first footing" should be dark haired, otherwise they might be a Viking/Norse pilaging and that would not be the way to start the year.

Well, with a long weekend in the States, I hope everyone is able to celebrate! I hope that everyone has a happy and healthy New Year! May 2010 be a decided improvement over 2009!
Alexandra Duncan

"Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going." - Jim Ryun

Live simply, Love generously, Care deeply, Speak kindly.
CelticElf66

Return to General discussion