fun w/ the Capn's of Crush at work

All issues related to the Highland Games, throwing, Scottish events/culture/history, etc., and just generally hanging out with friends

fun w/ the Capn's of Crush at work

Postby jim on Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:04 pm

I brought my Captains of Crush #1 into the office last week as a stress release toy. And while it is great to play with while on the phone - the most fun is just to leave it on the end of my desk. It's like fishing. Guys walk by my office, see it and say - "ohhh, thats a nice gripper, I got one of them at home." They pick it up, give it a casual squeeze..... reposition and squeeze with all their might and immediately say - "hey, this thing is broken. Must be rusted in place." Best effort I have seen so far is not quite half way. Then to reel em in the boat - I pick it up and bang out some quick reps and hand it back to them - "nope, working fine." Fish has been landed. No one has come back for a second try at it.
jim

Re: fun w/ the Capn's of Crush at work

Postby FrankH on Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:08 pm

I have my #2 here at work and get the same comments. I can barely close it, but most guys can hardly budge it. It's good for morale. :D
"...never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never... " --Winston Churchill

"A goal without a plan is just a wish". --Larry Elder
FrankH

Postby S McCracken on Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:02 pm

i have 2 of them that i keep at work, everyone in my office comes in thinking they can close them and they all walk
out deflated when they cant budge it. then i do it 5 times to show them who's the boss around here. :lol:
North American Highlander Ohio Chair
http://www.nahighlander.com
S McCracken

Postby Clancelt on Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:20 pm

lol, I have my #2 on my desk at work too. It is great for fishing! My best reaction so far was one of my buddies at work came in to my office for a casual chit chat and just picked it up while we were talking. He fiddled with it a bit while he was talking and then gave it a squeeze. You know, not really paying attention, just keeping his hands busy while we talk. Kind of the reason we keep stuff like that on our desk.

Well, he squeezed it and then paused. Gave it another squeeze and then stopped talking. He gave it another try and then looked up at me and asked if it was some kind of joke. I laughed and said no. He handed it to me and said "do it then" and I did. He then realized those black plastic ones from K-Mart are crap.

I did have one guy who used to work for me close it. He also broke 50' with the light weight in street clothes the first time he tried it. I couldn't talk him into the games though.
I'll spank you smartly with my spank ray.
Clancelt

Postby barbe705 on Sat Feb 23, 2008 8:59 am

According to legend Dawe Brown plays with the #4 like it's a toy.

brent
barbe705

Postby randy on Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:20 am

gonna get a new #3 at the Arnold's next weekend...i think i left mine in S.C. when we stayed with my brother-in-law's family...rrrrr...they couldn't find it (but their 3y.o. daughter may have!)

anyway, once upon a time about 3 years ago, i had it to 3/8"...it's time to stop screwin around.

rking
STAY HUNGRY!!
randy

Postby Sheaf daddy on Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:52 am

hmmmm Can barely close a #1 - Heavy Weight (42#) flies over 40 feet regularly and 56# went almost 32 feet last year. Yupp - keep squeezing - I am sure it helps the love life. :lol: :shock:

hehehe just getting over my cold so I am feeling ornery. Seriously tho - without the hookgrip I would really have a problem with the heavy weight. I have no idea how you guys can squeeze those suckers.

don't get this cold tho. 3 days of 102 fever - 7 lb weight loss - hey I can see my abs again or at least imagine I do.
Trish: Colin go get your bike and put it away!

Colin: Okay but someone is going to swoop down, stop, take a picture and sell it on the internet.
Sheaf daddy

Postby S McCracken on Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:10 pm

Clancelt wrote:lol, I have my #2 on my desk at work too. It is great for fishing! My best reaction so far was one of my buddies at work came in to my office for a casual chit chat and just picked it up while we were talking. He fiddled with it a bit while he was talking and then gave it a squeeze. You know, not really paying attention, just keeping his hands busy while we talk. Kind of the reason we keep stuff like that on our desk.

Well, he squeezed it and then paused. Gave it another squeeze and then stopped talking. He gave it another try and then looked up at me and asked if it was some kind of joke. I laughed and said no. He handed it to me and said "do it then" and I did. He then realized those black plastic ones from K-Mart are crap.

I did have one guy who used to work for me close it. He also broke 50' with the light weight in street clothes the first time he tried it. I couldn't talk him into the games though.

I have Big G not COC but the equiv of a #1.5coc and #2 coc most of the office guys grab them both, one in each hand and cant understand why they can almost budg one and all the bones in there hands pop. LOL!
S McCracken

Postby jim on Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:22 pm

Sheaf daddy wrote:Seriously tho - without the hookgrip I would really have a problem with the heavy weight. I have no idea how you guys can squeeze those suckers.

You are right there - gotta hook grip for hwfd. Hard to keep the arm long and loose when you're trying to hold tight.

A crushing grip is very utilitarian. Seeing the tears in the eyes of that annoying sob as you shake his hand. Cracking walnuts. Loosening bolts without a wrench. Picking up small children.

I have a #3 coming in the mail this week.

Cows see me and moo in fear. bwaaaahahahahaa
I'm not mean, you're just a sissy.
jim

Postby agm on Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:42 pm

Sheaf daddy wrote:don't get this cold tho. 3 days of 102 fever - 7 lb weight loss - hey I can see my abs again or at least imagine I do.

Sounds like the flu, not a cold. I had the flu pretty bad - I was reasonably healthy within a week or so, but it's been over a month and I still can't completely shake the cough. My lungs won't tolerate heavy breathing in cold air, either. That's the downside of lifting weights outside.

Oh, yeah, the COC. I used to be able to close the #1, and got halfway on the #2, but I haven't touched them in a couple of years after a bout of tennis elbow. At the last MWC, Dale Harder was walking around with a dynamometer, testing people's grip strength. I tried to explain that I had the grip strength of a six-year-old girl, but he just laughed and insisted I try it anyway. So I did, and he checked the gauge, then just said "Oh, yeah, OK" and handed the dynamometer to someone else.
agm
Site Admin

Postby FrankH on Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:42 pm

My abs went into hiding shortly after I left the Marines in 1987, and I haven't seem 'em since. :cry:
"...never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never... " --Winston Churchill

"A goal without a plan is just a wish". --Larry Elder
FrankH

Postby S McCracken on Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:00 pm

FrankH wrote:My abs went into hiding shortly after I left the Marines in 1987, and I haven't seem 'em since. :cry:

I think i was 18 the last time anyone could see them, but i see them everyday i know they are there. :lol:
my six pack has been a kaig so long im getting thirsty just thinking about it. :lol:
S McCracken

Postby Jeff Storey on Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:53 pm

Frank Henry's abs don't go into hiding. You go into hiding from them. :D

Jim, you're supposed to squeeze the milk out. Not tear the teat off!
meatheads! I swear. :roll:
I used to think this kitchen was big, until I saw you guys in here...
-AGM's mom
Jeff Storey

Postby Beau Fay on Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:47 pm

Go on, Francis... tell them your Dale Harder story from Pleasanton!!!
I kinda like goldfish... live.
Beau Fay

Return to General discussion