Two Week Countdown and an Overdue "Hello!"

All issues related to the Highland Games, throwing, Scottish events/culture/history, etc., and just generally hanging out with friends

Two Week Countdown and an Overdue "Hello!"

Postby heavysprout on Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:58 am

Hello my wonderful friends. It has been WAY too long since I have been on here. Criminy...if the search tool is correct, last NOVEMBER?!?!?
That's nuts. But probably correct considering that is when Pops' cancer battle began, one he is still fighting almost a year later.

It was with heavy heart that I heard about the highland community's loss this week. I met Ross face to face only twice during my years throwing, but both times he received me with a smile, a laug, and a good swat on the back while wishing me luck. Another grand soul who will be watching over us as we continue to live and compete. it reminded me that I need to do a better job keeping in touch with all those who have been there for me, and are a part of my life.

It was GREAT to see so many friendly faces at VSG Labor Day weekend....and some older ones that I have not seen for a while as I continued to compete as an Open Amateur. It was definitely fun being the youngest 'old fart' on the field, and throwing with guys that I started this with over 11 years ago on the back field, behind the raceway, at RHGCF in October 2002. I couldn't think of any better people to be on hand, to share the moment with, when that bloody WOB finally cleared a height after 12 years.

Been an up and down year, and a hell of a time since August 2010 when Meems had her first aneurysm surgery. As most know, she had her taxing battle for almost 10 months before passing in June 2011, my boss/mentor left the CU 2 weeks later throwing our work into turmoil for six months, and then 'Pops' underwent the same aneurysm surgery in July 2012 that took Meems from us in 2011. Since then Pops was then diagnosed with cancer in November 2012, Tara was in a car accident in July, and my brother survived a widow maker heart attack a week later. Good thing I can work remotely form my job...it has saved me from completely losing my !#$% on several occasions. That, and a REALLY good team of two that work for me. But I digress.

The mainstay for me, throughout it all has been those in the HG family that have stayed in touch, even when I have not. Texted and emailed me, when I have gone off the grid. Kept sending me positive messages, prayers, and thoughts, even when I was ready to lose my mind. Checked in with me, even when they hadn't heard from me on here, or seen me in months at a games.
When people ask me what got me into the games, it’s always a mix of stories and feelings.
When they ask me what has kept me in the games, it's always simple: the people at the games, my HG family.

I am seriously looking forward to the weekend of the 19th back at RIR for my 12th year in a row at my 'home' games. Hopefully I'll be able to see some folks on Saturday, me and the boy (the not so little bugger is 11 now) have some Boy Scout activities Friday night and Saturday. Regardless, the family is looking forward to Sunday and seeing everyone again....I owe Aidan a new kilt, along with Maddy...maybe we'll even get Tara to wear her kilted skirt :D

13 days and counting till we are all on the field again. I hope that it doesn't take me so long, and stay such a rarity for me to share the field with all of you. Usque Ad Finem. Sprout
Sprout - 'Semper Paratus'

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the Gift." -Pre
heavysprout

Return to General discussion