Accomodations at Dunedin

All issues related to the Highland Games, throwing, Scottish events/culture/history, etc., and just generally hanging out with friends

Accomodations at Dunedin

Postby miked on Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:11 am

Hey MASAns,

who all is going down to Dunedin? 12 April.

I have a coworker that owns a house in Tampa. She says it is about 30-45 mins from Dunedin and has three bedrooms. I have basically laid the foundation for some of us staying there. She is pretty fired up about coming and seeing the games. I figure free is better than $100 bucks a night. (although I don't know anything about hotel rates down there.)

I also plan on renting a car. So, for those who aren't driving, we can split the cost on that.

Mike Melia said he had a fare alert from Southwestern for $54 tickets one way. So, looks like a trip to Dunedin could be as low as $108 for travel and room.

miked
miked

Re: Accomodations at Dunedin

Postby ktdupuis on Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:45 pm

Just a tip....before solidifying the travel arrangements, make sure you are registered to compete. They do limit the number of throwers in Dunedin. Usually limited to a total number of throwers overall, and per division.

This is one of the few games in FL that has to keep the number of throwers reasonable.
ktdupuis

Postby Largemilk on Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:19 pm

Hey Mike,

I booked a flight already. Total cost for the return flight on South West 129.00. I haven't officially registered yet simply because I don't have the email for Barri. I did send an email to someone else on the website, it may ahve been Barri but I can't remember, when I looked a few weeks back.

New...... Actually, just looked at the website and I see that Barri's email is now posted and the games registration form is also up. So I guess I better send one in soon. Says there will be room for 42 competitors, first come first served.

Anyway, Mr. Clancelt Eric was also supposed to decide on whether he was going and we were thinking of a hotel room. Let's see if he chimes in and we can go from there. I'd take free accomadation!!
" A hammer a day keeps the chiropractor in pay"
Largemilk

Postby Clancelt on Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:40 pm

Chime!

I think I have to pass on this one Chuck. I promised the wife one away game this year, and this one won't be it :( I thought I might be able to swing it, and I betcha I could if I really wanted too.... but in the "family harmony" cause it's probably best to say no.

-Eric
I'll spank you smartly with my spank ray.
Clancelt

Postby miked on Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:34 pm

I filled out my registration form today and will be mailing it tomorrow. I saw a really good deal on tix to Tampa, so I went ahead and booked the flight. :shock:

If worse comes to worse, I will cheer and offer to help mark or something. It was a really cheap flight.

miked
miked

Postby FrankH on Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:29 am

Planning to get my registration in the mail today! Should be a great time. Anyone else going to give the Dunedin Stone a try?
"...never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never... " --Winston Churchill

"A goal without a plan is just a wish". --Larry Elder
FrankH

Postby Largemilk on Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:55 pm

Registration sent today (check!). Flight booked (check!). Eric Wright a wuss (check!). --- Only kidding Eric. Family always comes first, that's the Golden Rule. The second Golden Rule is "Though shalt eat plenty of protein"

Miked...I would ring in to possibly take advantage of your co-workers hospitality if that's what your still thinking. Otherwise, I'm open to sharing hotels in Clearwater or close to the event, whatever. I may have accommodation at a friends place in Tampa since I'm planning on making this a mini vacation but he hasn't got back to me yet and I'd invite others but I think he has a smallish bachelor pad and I might be staying on the sofa. But I should know more over the weekend. I'd love to talk about your friends place as a back up though.

And, since I'm planning on making this a mini-vacation, it won't be the end of the world if I don't get in, I'll just cheer on the old geezers and catch some rays, then head off to the beach!!
" A hammer a day keeps the chiropractor in pay"
Largemilk

Postby miked on Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:24 pm

I have a pretty strong committment from the owner of the house. She is planning on going down and coming out to the games on Saturday. On Sunday she is going to the local Arena Football team's game. Apparently she has 4 season tickets.

If, for some reason the house and your buddy's place falls through, we can split a room.

Frank, what are you plans? You got family down there, right?
miked

Postby Mrs. T-Bone on Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:43 pm

OK, I'm pretty sure I'm going. Airfare is a bit more from here for some reason. However...I have a 2 bedroom/2 bath villa in Bradenton (actually belongs to my Mom). It's between Tampa and Sarasota. I figure about an hour from Dunedin. If anyone still needs lodging, let me know.

BTW: Anyone heard from Ross lately :?:
Familiarity breeds consent...
Steph Stewart Fitzsimmons
Mrs. T-Bone

Location: Somewhere between the pool in Sarasota, the York river in Gloucester and the next game field

Postby FrankH on Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:45 pm

My sister and her family live near Orlando, a couple 3 hours away. They might come out, or we might swing by after the Games and fly back out of Orlando. In Dunedin we'll be staying at the Games hotel if we can get in; otherwise at a hotel nearby. No lodging help from my sister for the Games, she's too far away.

I haven't heard from anyone about Kevin Youngberg's offer; if anyone wants to crash at his place he has room and lives about 20 minutes away. Just PM or e-mail me; I'll send his contact info. He has a real nice place, a good wine selection and some good cigars. :D
"...never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never... " --Winston Churchill

FrankH

Postby FrankH on Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:47 pm

Forgot to mention I asked Kevin Youngberg about Ross-- he says Ross is doing well.

FrankH

Postby FrankH on Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:43 pm

If you're going to Dunedin and want a place to crash, Kevin Youngberg still has room for 2 at his place. He is 15-20 minutes from the Games. Please PM me ASAP if you're interested!

P.S. He has a nice wine cellar and selection of cigars. ;)

DUNEDIN in 8 weeks!!! Southern MD in 10 weeks!! HOT DAMN!!! :D :D :D

FrankH

Return to General discussion