My garage of horrors

All issues related to the Highland Games, throwing, Scottish events/culture/history, etc., and just generally hanging out with friends

My garage of horrors

Postby miked on Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:45 pm

I worked on a marvel of caveman engineering and a truly nasty beast in my garage this afternoon.

I have created a caber scale, which I will bring to the VMC on Sunday so we can get some weights on the cabers.

And, I prepped the big ol' nasty oak caber. Dude. It is nasty. I cleaned up the first 4 feet or so, but left the other 15 all mean and nasty. We definitely need to come up with a name for it. I called it "the Brute" in an earlier post, but that is a bit too civilized. So far, the names that have crossed my mind are: the Beast, Frankenstick, Big Ugly, WartHog, Gollum, and Thulsadoom.

Hey Mike, IFyou turn the Tootsie Roll, too, then we will try this one. It is heavy and dense like the Hickory, but thicker and longer.
miked

Re: My garage of horrors

Postby Mike Wills on Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:57 pm

From the sounds of it, that is a pro challenge caber...but if it has a lot of taper it would not be impossible to turn, you just have to have a very high level of brute strength to get it going.
Mike Wills

Postby jim on Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:12 pm

Slab of bacon and a fine cigar for the first one who turns it. (not the Philly blunts I usually smoke)

mmmmmmmmmmmm hurry burry bacon.
I'm not mean, you're just a sissy.
jim

Postby miked on Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:47 am

mmmmmm, bacon. mlgmrlfmlmrm (drool).

Thulsadoom is 18'11" has a decent taper, 4" at the base to a little over 6" at the top. But, it is Heav-E. I am guessing that it is over 175 lbs. And, it has a bit of a curve, big cracks, and horns. :twisted: It bit me twice yesterday when I was cleaning up the picking end.

I think fewer of the pro's will be able to turn it than not.
miked

Postby Mike Wills on Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:59 am

That sounds like a fairly average taper. If it is almost 19' and 175#...I would be very surprised if anyone could turn it.
Mike Wills

Postby miked on Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:44 pm

skeeered?
miked

Return to General discussion