New guy at Southern MD games...

All issues related to the Highland Games, throwing, Scottish events/culture/history, etc., and just generally hanging out with friends

New guy at Southern MD games...

Postby Aaron on Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:47 am

I had a quick question or 2 as the new guy...This will be my first competition and I was wondering when the start time is set for? Also since I am new most of my practice gear is the homemade stuff...might be a silly question but I have not gotten a 3 tine fork yet...will there be some to use?

and any advice for a newbie....thanks
Aaron

Re: New guy at Southern MD games...

Postby jim on Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:36 am

You need to get there at 7:30am. Traditionally, the new guys unload and setup all the equipment for the first game of the season. And you're responsible for bringing breakfast for the staff. I like steak and egg bagels and egg mcmuffins are also very popular. Only other thing you need is some good scotch and a few cigars as offerings and you are ready to go.

Oh - there's always a fork you can borrow.
I'm not mean, you're just a sissy.
jim

Postby Gunny on Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:45 am

Hey Aaron, this is my first games too!

You grab the Scotch and cigars, and I'll get the Egg McMuffins. :mrgreen:
Semper Fidelis

James (Gunny) Justice
Gunny

Postby CelticElf66 on Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:14 am

Some of the staff are trying to be good and would appreciate fresh fruit! Thanks Jim, always thinking of yourself.
Alexandra Duncan

"Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going." - Jim Ryun

Live simply, Love generously, Care deeply, Speak kindly.
CelticElf66

Postby dWood on Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:09 pm

I heard that the head Ad of Masa games(Mr Dave Mckenzie) likes to have a back rub before the festivities-just walk up to him and tell him you are there to give him a super secret massage :oops:
dWood

Postby miked on Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:33 pm

Dave is a pretty tall guy. I had to stand on a step stool last year when I did it. Luckily I had one. If you don't have one I can bring mine.
miked

Postby Jennifer on Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:19 pm

Alex is right- and thanks Jim for not even bothering to think of the pregnant chic!
Yes, fresh cut fruit is very preferred right now... some judges request a yogurt dipping sauce, but I am fine with just some fresh fruit. And no worries- I will bring my own warm drink since I am off coffee for a bit though some prefer coffee, cream, and assorted sweetners.
Good to meet you and welcome to the games! Sorry youre our greenie when I am such a big eater!
"My spelling is Wobbly. It's good spelling, but it Wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong places."
Jennifer

Postby jim on Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:40 pm

You're eating for 2. Have a McMuffin. And coffee, it'll be a long day. Everyone's doing it. It'll make you popular.
jim

Postby hmckenzie on Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:44 pm

You guys are sick, absolutely sick......Yay for April being soon!
HMAC
hmckenzie

Postby Jennifer on Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:25 pm

Jim-
While I'm at it, why dont I share your scotch... everyone else is doin it! :-P
"My spelling is Wobbly. It's good spelling, but it Wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong places."
Jennifer

Postby Rich McClain on Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:15 pm

Wow, tough post. I was new last year at Bridgeport but nobody noticed. :( Don't let Jim push you around although he does help judge along with big Dave. And then there is the support staff that keeps the scores. Come to think about it, I would just show up early, bring lots of food and scotch. :lol:
Richard McClain
JUST SHUT UP AND TRAIN!
Rich McClain

Postby agm on Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:41 pm

To more directly answer your question - here's what it says on the MASA schedule page (http://www.heavyevents.com/masasched.php) about start times:

Unless otherwise noted, sign-in for Saturday games starts at 8:30, or 9:00 for Sunday games. Throwing begins at 9:00 on Saturdays, 9:30 on Sundays. Any changes from this schedule will be posted on the message board. Please be on the field early to help with setting up the equipment.

Lots of people will have forks, some won't. As long as you ask first, you can use any fork you like.

Oh, and around here, when people say "Scotch" they mean single-malt, not that blended stuff.
agm
Site Admin

Postby Clancelt on Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:51 pm

I'll bring the bumblebee short fork and make it available at the equipment rental stand.

:mrgreen:
I'll spank you smartly with my spank ray.
Clancelt

Postby jim on Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:18 pm

Jennifer wrote:Jim-
While I'm at it, why dont I share your scotch... everyone else is doin it! :-P

But of course! Babies love scotch.
jim

Postby Aaron on Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:26 pm

Ok ..great I got it...single malt scotch, egg mcmuffins, some fresh fruit, yogurt dipping sauce, a warm day and a lot of throwing...and the next question would be...johnny on the spots are close by , right :D ..

thanks for the heads up...and a bumblebee fork i guess...
can't wait for the day...goal - to throw well and not embarass myself...too bad
Aaron

Postby dWood on Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:36 am

seriously Aaron you have entered a sport with some of the friendliest,caring,helpfull athletes in the world-introduce yourself and don't be afraid to ask a question if you need anything-we were all in your shoes at one time!and as a former athlete(still working on the comeback)who has traveled to over 125 games all over North America Masa athletes are some of the most helpfull-just don't forget about the massage :D
dWood

Postby Tearlach on Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:31 pm

You Know Dan,
It was my understanding the the announcer was to get the first massage, then The McKenzie. Has that now changed???? See you at So. Md.

Chuck
Live everyday like it's your last, enjoy life,love your family, leave nothing but spent energy on the game field, so that when the final summons comes, you can leave this world with no regrets.
Chuck
Tearlach

Location: Mechanicsburg, Hampden Township, Cumberland County, Pennsylvania

Postby dWood on Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:58 am

:oops: :oops: hope he has warm hands
dWood

Postby The McKenzie on Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:16 pm

dWood wrote:I heard that the head Ad of Masa games(Mr Dave Mckenzie) likes to have a back rub before the festivities-just walk up to him and tell him you are there to give him a super secret massage :oops:

It is Spring time! the birdies are chirping in the trees. The buds are busting out all over. And the friggin ICE on the river is melting. Getting VERY thin! What? :lol:
The McKenzie

Postby The McKenzie on Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:19 pm

Aaron wrote:Ok ..great I got it...single malt scotch, egg mcmuffins, some fresh fruit, yogurt dipping sauce, a warm day and a lot of throwing...and the next question would be...johnny on the spots are close by , right :D ..

thanks for the heads up...and a bumblebee fork i guess...
can't wait for the day...goal - to throw well and not embarass myself...too bad

One of you people tell this guy where to get a three tine fork please? Like local Southern States Store maybe? :o
The McKenzie

Postby TheHammer on Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:58 am

Ok I have another newbie question. I finally got a fork, but the tines are painted. I'm not concerned about the paint affecting my throwing, but should i sand it off so as not to get paint on the sheaf?
Try not. Do or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

David Marble
The new sheaf gnome
and board lurker extraordinaire
TheHammer

Postby agm on Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:14 am

I wouldn't worry about getting paint on the sheaf - the paint's not likely to come off from just a few throws. But taking the paint off and getting a smooth finish on the tines will help your throws. You'll also want a decent point on the tines to get them through the bag, and you'll need to straighten out the tines if they're flared out at all.
agm
Site Admin

Postby Clancelt on Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:51 am

The bumblebee will be available, it will be in the tent. If anyone needs it just grab it and leave the tip in the shot glass :lol: It is stripped, straightened, and polished, but a little narrow for guys with big hands.

Now my new fork breaks all the rules and and no less than three people have set PR's with it. It's not polished and a little flared and wide. The only thing that has ever touched the tines is a fine brillo pad. Of course it was forged by the dwarves and gifted to me by the gods themselves..... but I'm sure that has nothing to do with how well it throws... :?
I'll spank you smartly with my spank ray.
Clancelt

Return to General discussion