I'm Back

All issues related to the Highland Games, throwing, Scottish events/culture/history, etc., and just generally hanging out with friends

I'm Back

Postby FrankH on Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:46 pm

My absence from the board lately was the result of a cancer scare-- some scary numbers and a biopsy, plus a week waiting for the results. I just found out-- the results were negative for cancer. I can't begin to convey my relief. A scare that this will give you religion if you didn't have it, and it will teach you a couple things.

First, if you have any kind of cancer that runs in your family, start getting tested no later than age 40. Just do it-- pick up the phone after you finish reading this. If you're over 50, get a colonoscopy. If you have GERD or severe and recurring heartburn, get an endoscopy. Just do it. Now. Please.

Second, I realized how much I have taken life for granted. What an amazing gift! When you are in the position I was in, you start bargaining, and I'm not too proud to say that I prayed and made promises like I never have before. I am really looking forward to treating Lee like we're on a date for the rest of my life, to letting my kids know how much I love them and how proud I am of them, and my highland games friends-- I want you to know that you guys are very special to me, and I thank you for your friendship.

Whew.

See you on the field.

And make your appointment.

Frank out.
"...never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never... " --Winston Churchill

"A goal without a plan is just a wish". --Larry Elder
FrankH

Re: I'm Back

Postby bjketchem on Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:56 pm

Frank, I am very happy to hear that the results were negative. You're a good man and I am proud to share the field with you. I know that eveyone who knows you and has thrown with you feels the same way. See you on the field soon brother!
I will be the new, improved and almost as good-looking Mike Wills.
bjketchem

Postby Mike Wills on Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:57 pm

You know what Frank, it sounds like all in all, this will turn out to be a great blessing for you and your family. Some of us are just plain stubborn and have to be convinced of our weakness every once in a while! I'm glad that this burden has been lifted.
Mike Wills

Postby Rich McClain on Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:16 pm

I'm glad to hear everything is alright Frank.
Richard McClain
JUST SHUT UP AND TRAIN!
Rich McClain

Postby mike melia on Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:31 pm

Franks,sometimes it takes getting hit upside your head with a dead fish to put thing into perspective!
I am so happy things worked out and am looking forward to seeing you soon.
I'm afraid, Dave. Dave, my mind is going. I can feel it. I can feel it. My mind is going. There is no question about it. I can feel it.
HAL 9000
mike melia

Postby miked on Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:38 pm

Frank the Tank! I am very happy to hear the tests were negative. whew! Can't wait to see you on the field, probably this weekend, eh?

I will definitely buy a round at SMd so we can all raise a toast to Frank and his big, healthy colon!
miked

Postby DD17/20 on Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:43 pm

Frank, your all class. Great news.
DD17/20

Postby Steph Riley on Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:49 pm

I'm so glad to hear that your results were good, Frank. That is very scary and I share your GERD fear. I have GERD, which after 1 1/2 years I can't seem to get control of. Have been living on meds for it thinking it would fix itself...cut back on the acids in my diet, but my weeknesses are chocolate, coffee, tea, sugar and alcohol, all of which are evil for me and I can't seem to give up altogether. This week went hardcore on my diet to try and tame it. I'm going to Scotland next weekend for 11 days, so I'm afraid the diet won't be great over there...definitely plan on visiting distilleries. But when I return will go hardcore again, and if it isn't fixed soon, I will definitely go for the endoscopy. I'm not stubborn about it, just delusional, I think, that it will just go away. Plus I don't have insurance...eek! Thanks for putting the scare into me about it! I realize it is more serious than most people know. But most of all, I just want my voice back. I haven't been able to sing for 1 1/2 years (since my symptom of GERD is a hoarse voice), and that is depressing.

Yes, cherish your wife and family and friends, and we are so delighted that you are well!
Steph Riley

Postby McNamee on Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:15 pm

Frank, that's great news! All of your days that lay ahead will be a little brighter.

The lord blesses us each and every day!
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure. than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat. T.R.
McNamee

Postby Mike Wills on Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:14 pm

Steph, I developed acid reflux disease nearly 15 years ago - it is one of the great hereditary issues I have to deal with. I tried the bland diet and everything else...nothing worked. Back then the only thing available was Tagamet, and I was on the maximum daily allowable dosage of 1600mgs. They said anything above that and it wouldn't be safe to drive! It still didn't completely control it.

Luckily, about a year or so into it they came out with the proton pump inhibitors, I think Prilosec was the first. It was like a minor miracle to me. I have to take twice the normal dosage, so I take two pills a day for life...but it controls everything very well. The other part for me was having acid come up while sleeping, getting choked, and sucking the acid down into my lungs...that sucked. So when I got the CPAP it was all taken care of.

I don't like that I have to take medicine, but it is the only alternative to complete misery and most likely esophageal cancer - which has killed a number of men in my family. The doc says I have a genetic overproduction of acid couple with a loose stomach valve, so that's just the way it is. I can tell you that after 15 years on the medicine, I don't seem to have any ill-effects, unless the muscle pulls, etc. could be linked to it.

On a side note, not all generics are equal! I spent Monday night and Tuesday morning in the ER. I thought I was having a gall stone attack after 14 straight hours of pain, nausea, and feeling like I swallowed a basketball. Since my mom, sister, and even my wife have all had gall stones and had their gall bladders removed, I figured I would just have to have it done before something bad happened. Turns out that it was a severe allergic reaction to generic prilosec (probably the coating) from a different manufacturer that I had never used. The company is out of India...and believe me, I won't be taking anything but the brand name stuff again!!!
Mike Wills

Postby Rich McClain on Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:37 pm

Zantac during the day, Gaviscon at night. This use to be my routine. What happened? I don't know. First off, cholesterol started to climb to a level my doctor did not like. What did I change? I started eating instant oatmeal every morning at work. I cut out my egg consumption and went to whole wheat bread when I eat bread. They now make low acid orange juice I drink from time to time. I also started working out and using supplements like protein shakes and other non-specific supplements that change every couple of years. Cholesterol dropped in 18 points in 6 months.

I also think acid reflux has something to do with the ph levels being out of balance. Find some litmus paper and piss on it. Check the color with the chart and that should let you know. I would also stick one in your mouth to check. Try not to eat or drink anything for about an hour for the mouth test.

Now I eat a tums once or twice a day but not everyday.
Richard McClain
JUST SHUT UP AND TRAIN!
Rich McClain

Postby Clancelt on Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:52 am

Wow Frank, I had no idea. I'm glad you are ok! The C word is a scary thing. As for the GERD thing, I thought we were talking about a German girl until Steph chimed in :lol:

Anyway, thanking the powers that be and genetics for a cast iron stomach that doesn't let much work it's way back out ;)
I'll spank you smartly with my spank ray.
Clancelt

Postby hmckenzie on Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:34 am

Frank,
I am really glad to hear that everything turned out well. Keep it up, Can't wait to see you and Lee in April!
HMAC
hmckenzie

Postby Jeff Storey on Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:35 pm

whew, Frank, it's great to hear that you got good results. Now, get your butt healthy and back on the field!
And you old folks, go get your scopies done, ASAP. Frank is right, just do it. No ifs ands or buts.
PS, Frank, you've been superpoked.
I used to think this kitchen was big, until I saw you guys in here...
-AGM's mom
Jeff Storey

Postby greg henger on Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:32 pm

Glad to hear things turned out well for you.
I've had the old guy over 50 test already. Not too bad except for the stuff you have to drink the day before. That stuff is just nasty.
greg henger

Postby Mrs. T-Bone on Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:35 pm

Guys, don't forget to remind your ladies that they need their "up yours" test done too. (Trust me, the Doc should do this one.) I've lived with ulcerative colitis for years. It's no walk in the park. The medications are expensive but the alternatives are deadly. Those of you that are not getting good control on your acid inhibitors may want to try protonix if you haven't already. There is a new generic out for it that I haven't tried yet.

Frank, I am proud of you. I know how hard it is to resign yourself to following up on symptoms, then tests, then Dr.'s orders, how hard it is to wait for what seems like an eternity not knowing if what's going on is capable of killing you. I also know what a relief it is to hear that it's going to be OK. I learned not to take time for granted when it was too late. I'm glad you have the opportunity to make every moment count. I know you will. You're both worth it.

We all end up leaving everything here except our friends. Choose your friends wisly and care for them deeply because they are the only thing you can take with you to eternity.
Familiarity breeds consent...
Steph Stewart Fitzsimmons
Mrs. T-Bone

Location: Somewhere between the pool in Sarasota, the York river in Gloucester and the next game field

Postby The McKenzie on Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:11 pm

"I will definitely buy a round at SMd so we can all raise a toast to Frank and his big, healthy colon!"

Gents:
WHY? Do you want to toast Frank's colon? Can't we just deep fry the thing? Or boil it like Haggis! FRANK, good news and ditto on all the included good wishes. You are a class guy and guys like you, Bryan, Bob Stewart, et.all., are the reason I still trudge around weekends doing this stuff.. Deals? I have made a few lately myself ?? Know EXACTLY how you feel....

Poppa dave :!: :!:
The McKenzie

Postby Tearlach on Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:09 pm

Frank my friend,

I am so glad things went your way, I've said that someday I'll beat you, even if it means that we have to throw until we are 100. That means we both have to be breathing, upright, and mobil, and I don't plan on winning by default Bro. I'm so glad for you, Lee and your family. See you this weekend. I'll try and remember a bottle of 2007 brandy for you.

Chuck
Live everyday like it's your last, enjoy life,love your family, leave nothing but spent energy on the game field, so that when the final summons comes, you can leave this world with no regrets.
Chuck
Tearlach

Location: Mechanicsburg, Hampden Township, Cumberland County, Pennsylvania

Postby FrankH on Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:45 pm

Thanks, all. I am working furiously to catch up, I assure you. If you had any thoughts of giving me the beat-down while I'm all weak and flabby, git yer licks in while you can! :D

BTW, Dickens, it was my huge prostate, not my huge colon. Given the size of my huge a$$, though, I can understand your confusion. So guys, get yer prostate checked too if you're over 50, or over 40 if you have a family history. Just ask for a simple blood test called a PSA.

That is all. Frank out. 8-)
"...never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never... " --Winston Churchill

"A goal without a plan is just a wish". --Larry Elder
FrankH

Postby jcollins on Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:36 pm

Hey Frank,

I just read these posts and I am very happy to hear that you got the good news back on the cancer front. That is very scary stuff and ever since Bob passed I know it has been heavily on all our minds. I can't say it is much of a surprise to me that you put this temporary threat back in it's place though, b/c you just have to meet Frank's dad to know that the Henry bloodline is a strong as steel.

It will be good to throw with you again very soon.

- John
My friend's flesh and blood
Night size - perfect ten
So rude - she´s no good
But she says...
She can taste the wind
Play to win
She PLAAAYS to win
jcollins

Return to General discussion