READ THIS - Security Breach!

All issues related to the Highland Games, throwing, Scottish events/culture/history, etc., and just generally hanging out with friends

READ THIS - Security Breach!

Postby agm on Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:50 pm

In February 2018, there was a report of a data dump of passwords for millions of accounts from thousands of websites showing up online. This happens frequently. The operator of a website that tracks this sort of thing investigated, and found that most of it is lists of email addresses and passwords. He can't verify whether it's all real, in fact, he says "I have no idea how many of these are legitimate, how many are partially correct and how many are outright fabricated." But, heavyevents.com is on the list.

Now, there really isn't anything that anyone can do here on this site with that information. We don't have any financial information here - if you paid a registration fee, you did it through PayPal, not us. So don't worry about anyone getting anything from us. We've got nothing interesting.

BUT. If you use the same password here and on other websites, along with the same email address (which is generally a bad idea), then it's possible that someone could try to log in as you somewhere else (if they can figure out where that somewhere else would be). So if you do reuse your password here, it's probably a good idea to change it on any important accounts you may have (your bank, etc.).

You can check to see if you have any accounts that have been compromised here: https://haveibeenpwned.com/

You should see an entry that says 2,844 Separate Data Breaches (unverified): That's us. You might see others - I show up on seven other data breaches, including Dropbox and LinkedIn. As I said above, this happens frequently. Nobody has ever actually used my info anywhere.

The article about the data breach affecting us is here: https://www.troyhunt.com/ive-just-added ... een-pwned/
agm
Site Admin

Return to General discussion