Important Bridgeport Information

All issues related to the Highland Games, throwing, Scottish events/culture/history, etc., and just generally hanging out with friends

Important Bridgeport Information

Postby Mike Wills on Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:28 am

I just spoke with Kevin and here are a couple of things to be aware of:

1) The athletes will not be able to park on the field, or drive down onto the field to unload equipment. It is just going to be too crowded and too hectic. Plan on bringing some sort of wheeled cart to haul your stuff in. Try to get there a little early...I would recommend 8:00am.
2) The registered athletes will receive wristbands in the mail to get them through the gate, but don't count on anyone else with you getting in for free. This isn't a policy change, Kevin is just going to be too busy to stand at the gate and give the okay for wives and such to get through.
3) There will be a cookout on Friday evening at the field. The Anderson's are providing everything - as usual - and are expecting a pretty big crowd of athletes and organizers. Should eat sometime around 6pm.
4) If you are waitlisted or just don't plan on throwing, please be ready to help in any way needed. Kevin, Dave McKenzie, Jim Cawley, and David Webster could probably all use some volunteer help to keep things running smoothly.

The folks at Bridgeport have gone all out to bring the championships to our neck of the woods, so let's do everything that we can - including watching the language, keeping safety in mind at all times, helping when we are needed, and keeping a good attitude even if things are a little more stressed than during a normal year.

Is there anything else that we need to know???? I can't think of anything right now, but add replies if any more information is needed.
Mike Wills

Re: Important Bridgeport Information

Postby Clancelt on Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:38 am

Thanks Mike!
I'll spank you smartly with my spank ray.
Clancelt

Postby TheHammer on Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:55 pm

Just one question, and my apologies if it has already been answered in another thread. Can tickets be purchased ahead of time online?
Try not. Do or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

David Marble
The new sheaf gnome
and board lurker extraordinaire
TheHammer

Postby Mike Wills on Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:29 pm

I don't see anything on their web site about a way to purchase tickets beforehand.
Mike Wills

Postby TheHammer on Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:35 pm

OK i have another question. I am bringing my brother with me to tape my throws for training. Will he be allowed on the field or will he have to tape from the stands?

David Marble
The new sheaf gnome
TheHammer

Postby CelticElf66 on Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:08 pm

That will probably be an on field decision of McKenzie's. Until we see how it is setup with the third flight (Pros) throwing, we won't really know.

I have not been out to Bridgeport, but I know we try to be as accomodating as possible, HOWEVER, please keep in mind that the ATHLETES are our first priority, not their family/friends. Keeping everyone safe is of the utmost importance.

The athletics tent (when/if there is one at ANY games) is for the athletes and staff. I know we look the other way, most of the time, when family and friends set up 'camp' inside the ropes, however there may come a time when we need them to be outside the rope, so it may be better if they start there, especially if they are there first thing in the morning and can stake out prime watching spots. "Not A Sermon - Just a Thought"
Alexandra Duncan

"Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going." - Jim Ryun

Live simply, Love generously, Care deeply, Speak kindly.
CelticElf66

Postby barbe705 on Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:02 am

will there be space for us to set up awnings, or should we leave them at home?

Brent
barbe705

Postby TheHammer on Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:29 am

Fair enough,
I wasn't sure how big the games were. he can tape just fine behind the rope.

David Marble
The new sheaf gnome
TheHammer

From Poppa Dave

Postby The McKenzie on Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:05 pm

Dear All:
Please always remember that SAFETY is my main priority on any athletic field all season long.. I expect it to be yours too! Look out for stray pets, kids, idiots, & staff crossing the impact/throwing area. You all have always been good about this. All it would take is for one person to get hurt needlessly and it would be on the lips of the gossips, wantabes, insurance agents, and organizers forever. My main responsiblility is to the organizers to conduct a safe and secure athletics event that attracts a paying crowd. That way we keep MASA active in the various fields across the region.

Our MASA family reputation is everything. Our image, the way conduct ourselves, our sportsmanship all goes to our lasting reputation as an athletic family. When I sell you people to organizers, try to expand current areas, or try for new ones, I always point to the quality of the individuals in the organization. Basically, we are safe and we are very good sprortsmen and women. And we gonna stay that way. It is your family, take care of it.

Kevin, Deb, and Jeep have work their buns off to make the world thing happen. You have no idea how hard this stuff is to organize and finance. Give them your support by your actions and ability. My secondary mission is to see that you all have a fun and productive competition. If I get a little grumpy on games day or am not my warm fuzzy self, suck it up and cope! We have a lot going on in Bridgeport and I don't have Kevin and Jeep to fall back on as they have other responsibilities up there.

As to the question of friends qand flys on the field? We are in a new format this year at Bridgeport. I will do your friends taping and photographers as conditions allow. I prefer that each photographer has a safety man to watch for him while on the field when allowed to be there. My only problem is SAFETY!

Fly tents? Bring them. IF POSSIBLE we will designate an area to set up in. Please do not set up till I get there Saturday and look things over. What I was thinking was sort of a Athlete Clan area behind where I park my truck. There will be no cars on the field this year so that area may be open. We will see. Hang tite and we will do the best we can for you. No grumbeling. New format, new ideas.

I can't wait for this year to begin. I need a break. See ya all in SOMD. Queations? E-mail me privately please. reading this board makes me dizzy. Espically Mike Wills posts! Sorry Mike, had to do that.. Aye, dave
The McKenzie

Postby Kevin&DebAnderson on Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:39 pm

An order form is available to order tickets. Go to our website http://www.scots-westvirginia.org and click on Download Festival Brochure. You will have to mail your check to Lucy Hornor and she will send you whatever you order. We do not have online ordering.

Deb Anderson
Kevin&DebAnderson

Return to General discussion