Hip drive in WOB

All issues related to the Highland Games, throwing, Scottish events/culture/history, etc., and just generally hanging out with friends

Hip drive in WOB

Postby barbe705 on Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:01 pm

So, I've noticed that I'm not using my legs when I do te WOB. I'm popping my hips hard but, it's not moving the weight. It seems like I'm driving after the weight has moved passed that point. I think maybe I'm waiting too long to shoot with my hips. Does anybody have any ideas on how to fix this.

Brent
barbe705

Re: Hip drive in WOB

Postby Clan SlyPorkers on Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:54 pm

Try letting the weight get back as far as possible on the backswing, then when it's going to drop to the ground puullllllll! Also, Adam (thanks by the way) has posted some great video footage recently....train without training.
Clan SlyPorkers

Postby Rich McClain on Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:42 pm

Brent,
At the clinic, Ryan explained that once the weight passes the ankles moving forward then the movement becomes a one arm dumbbell snatch. Dip your knees down and a little forward then BAM!! explode straight up. It is all about timing.

Hope this helps
Richard McClain
JUST SHUT UP AND TRAIN!
Rich McClain

Postby Abner Stolzfuz on Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:03 am

I think what Ryan meant by "snatch" was the legs, back and hip drive is the same as they are in the snatch. I have seem a lot of amateur throwers coaching each other to pull the weight like a snatch and have seen the guys pulling the weight up close to their bodies like you would with the bar in the snatch and that's far from correct. The arm must stay long and swing wayyyy out during the drive up.

~Steve
Abner Stolzfuz

Postby Rich McClain on Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:53 pm

Thanks for the clarification. I will be working on this tomorrow at practice.

Rich
Richard McClain
JUST SHUT UP AND TRAIN!
Rich McClain

Return to General discussion