medical update

All issues related to the Highland Games, throwing, Scottish events/culture/history, etc., and just generally hanging out with friends

medical update

Postby Sheaf daddy on Mon May 12, 2008 6:02 am

okay definately trochanteric bursitis. muscle relaxants so I can sleep and NSAIDS to relieve inflammation. Ice and stretching will help too. The iliofemoral ligament may be torn somewhat as well so I am going to an ortho on Thursday.

I lifted yesterday and a lot of stretching and then iced it down. interesting feeling - kinda itchy in there. Anyway - There ya go. Will know more soon I hope.
Trish: Colin go get your bike and put it away!

Colin: Okay but someone is going to swoop down, stop, take a picture and sell it on the internet.
Sheaf daddy

Re: medical update

Postby FrankH on Mon May 12, 2008 11:14 am

I think I sprained by brain just reading that-- dang. :shock: Well, knowing what it is should be a relief, and also a help in figuring out how to rehab it. And it seems like your timing was good too, since you have a month off between B-port and McHenry/Steppingstone, and 5 weeks to Lehi. So heal up my brotha, and since practice is no doubt canc'd for today and most likely Wednesday, and I'm in R.I. this weekend, I'll hope to see you at practice next week.

There's a whole lotta season coming up!

--McFrank
"...never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never... " --Winston Churchill

"A goal without a plan is just a wish". --Larry Elder
FrankH

Postby scotbybirth on Mon May 12, 2008 2:37 pm

Sorry to hear that, Brian. Quick recovery. OH, I'm not sure how many have seen this, but here are some of pros during Richmond last year (07). Hope you like.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=CKDUpqKNqqs
"All men with honor are kings, but not all kings have honor... Honor is a man's gift to himself." -Liam Neeson as Rob Roy MacGregor.

-Chris Kenyon
scotbybirth

Postby chirolifter on Mon May 12, 2008 3:42 pm

Bryan, get an MRI... Rule out/in tear's, and proceed from there... Bromalien, Papian and tons of vegtables for natural anti inflam... I had Bursitis for 6 months and treated naturally... You can't listen to your body when you are medicated!
Strive for Perfection, Settle for Excellence !!!
chirolifter

Postby Sheaf daddy on Mon May 12, 2008 4:55 pm

Hey Gene thanks for the concern - I plan to follow up on the tear - hence the visit to the ortho on Thursday. I CAN listen to my body when on drugs. Unfortunately it sounds a lot like a frat party where the beer has run out. A lot of moaning and groaning.

I think I will be back earlier than 6 months (famous last words!) but I think I may be out for longer than I want too. Blech - first real injury in 11 years - well if you don't count the pulled oblique my first year. I have had illnesses but no injuries.

Colin: Okay but someone is going to swoop down, stop, take a picture and sell it on the internet.
Sheaf daddy

Postby Jeff Storey on Mon May 12, 2008 5:55 pm

sheez man. hope the news is good.... heal fast!
I used to think this kitchen was big, until I saw you guys in here...
-AGM's mom
Jeff Storey

Postby chirolifter on Mon May 12, 2008 6:43 pm

It took me that long because i treated natural. Half that time with drugs! Let us know what the Ortho says... Let me guess... Shot of Cortisone, NSAIDS and rest! :roll:
chirolifter

Postby Sheaf daddy on Mon May 12, 2008 7:13 pm

you forgot a bottle of scotch, a couple good cubans and the latest from the "adult" movie selection - ooops I thought you were talking about last saturday night. oh! rehab! Some NSAIDS yes - I am doing Ice, Stretching, some exercise to keep active and more stretching and ice.

The muscle relaxants are for sleeping. after 5 days of just 3 hours a night I gave in to the dark side and got some drugs. :shock:

Sheaf daddy

Postby FrankH on Mon May 12, 2008 8:21 pm

Holy S#1+, Bryan. You mentioned you were lifting, so I figured this wasn't as serious. Heal up soon, and we all hope to see you on the field again ASAP!
"...never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never... " --Winston Churchill

FrankH

Postby miked on Mon May 12, 2008 9:42 pm

For all us laymen, Bryan has a bum hip.

Be smart, get well, brother.
miked

Postby Jeff Storey on Mon May 12, 2008 10:22 pm

ooooh, a hip? dang, I thought he had a sore throat and I was gonna ask how that would stop him from throwing. :oops:
-AGM's mom
Jeff Storey

Postby Mrs. T-Bone on Tue May 13, 2008 11:54 am

Darn Bryan that stinks. Gene's right though. Next step in all liklyhood is steroid injection (assuming no tear), then maybe PT. If your Doc didn't tell you, I will, you shouldn't be doing stairs and obviously no direct pressure on the site. I know that the term "Relative Rest" means something entirly different to you than it does to your doctor. It's all "relative" right? Just take it easy and get better. We'll see ya soon.
Familiarity breeds consent...
Steph Stewart Fitzsimmons
Mrs. T-Bone

Location: Somewhere between the pool in Sarasota, the York river in Gloucester and the next game field

Postby Largemilk on Tue May 13, 2008 5:20 pm

I will kick you in the arse if you do any "lifting" . There, nuff said. Well, until you get some imaging diagnostics done to determine the extent of the injurious lament of which you speak.

Then I'll kick yer arse if you do any lifting without healing up first. Someone's gotta still teach me how do do this stuff-and-not-hurt-myself....hold on here a minute. Anyone? Anyone know how not to hurt yourself?

*crickets*

- Thought so.

Do it smart man, just do it...smart. :roll:
" A hammer a day keeps the chiropractor in pay"
Largemilk

Postby Jeff Storey on Tue May 13, 2008 9:09 pm

If you'd asked last week, I could have piped in. but my dang calf is pretty sore for the third day in a row.... :x
-AGM's mom
Jeff Storey

Postby McNamee on Tue May 13, 2008 9:24 pm

Bryan, sorry to hear that news, I hope you make a fast come-back as I am sure you will. I'll drink a couple of beers to your health ......and maybe a dram of scotch.....and another beer.....scootch and berr, are yuu hellllthy yet.....Bryayn? ;)
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure. than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat. T.R.
McNamee

Postby Sheaf daddy on Thu May 15, 2008 8:23 pm

Short and sweet

No Ligament Tear
Definately Bursitis
No Arthritis - Looks surprising clean

PT, Ice, Stretching and Cortisone shot.

Practice Saturday 11 AM

Sheaf daddy

Postby miked on Thu May 15, 2008 8:40 pm

awesome.

not quite time to put you out to pasture, just jet. ;)
miked

Postby FrankH on Thu May 15, 2008 8:46 pm

Awesome news, Bryan! See you when we get back from R.I. Just finishing up packing; shooting for lights out at 9:15, up at 4am to avoid traffic. We're driving up with Lee's dad and flying back so we're dropping a car at BWI. Looks like 30 percent chance of rain; not too bad.

Heal up and go light on the weights! Drills, drills, drills!!! :D :shock: :D :shock: Later, my brotha!

FrankH

Postby Rich McClain on Thu May 15, 2008 9:25 pm

Glad to hear it, Bro. I had my annual (every 3 or 4 years) physical today. He accused me of being one of his healthier patients. He said the majority of his 40+ patients are at least on Hypertension meds. My BP and pulse are right in range.

I did some abs and hypers today after I finished mowing the lawn. I also got the official nod on the new position and salary. If anyone needs a radio remote control for an overhead crane or locomotive, give me a call.

Richard McClain
Cattron Group International
Sales Estimator
(724)962-3571 EXT 61257
Richard McClain
JUST SHUT UP AND TRAIN!
Rich McClain

Postby chirolifter on Fri May 16, 2008 6:42 pm

Bryan, good news... Listen to your BODY, be smart... I would lift hard upper body, nothing to strenuous on the hip joint... I for one DO NOT believe in inactivity- active rest. If you can find a lifting move that doesn't move the hip joint, do it!!! ie: leg extensions, there better than nothing!!!
Rest it
"rest should never be underestimated"
chirolifter

Postby Sheaf daddy on Sun May 18, 2008 8:13 pm

Thanks guys and yeah I am gonna have to hammer the upper body hard and work around the hip. for awhile. I did some drills coached a lot this weekend. I think everyone had a break through this weekend too. BJ was hitting a minimum of 52!!! up to 58. Tim is closing in on 50 and Simella (SP?) is gonna rock the house when she competes. I can do hammer and weight drills, line drills and stone drills where I don't throw. No WFH or Caber. I can do sheaf too tho.

oh well better than nothing

Sheaf daddy

Return to General discussion