TheHammer's woes

All issues related to the Highland Games, throwing, Scottish events/culture/history, etc., and just generally hanging out with friends

TheHammer's woes

Postby TheHammer on Thu May 15, 2008 8:25 am

Well as some of you may already know, while i was driving back home from Bridgeport after the games i had a seizure. I spent all of Sunday and most of Monday in the hospital being "observed" (translation = being poked and prodded). 1 CAT scan and EEG later everything looks normal. I have a sleep deprived EEG scheduled for next Friday and a MRI scheduled for Saturday. If these come out normal i can quit taking the anti-seizure drug. Which would be wonderful since the side effects are making me miserable. Oh and since i had a seizure i can't drive for 6 months. Doc also said no competition for 3 months. Good news is i can go back to the gym today!!!
Try not. Do or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

David Marble
The new sheaf gnome
and board lurker extraordinaire
TheHammer

Re: TheHammer's woes

Postby FrankH on Thu May 15, 2008 11:50 am

Might be a good idea to keep the lifting light, too. For throwing, light and explosive is all you need anyway, especially during the season. Take care, good luck and keep us posted!
"...never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never... " --Winston Churchill

"A goal without a plan is just a wish". --Larry Elder
FrankH

Postby Rich McClain on Thu May 15, 2008 6:26 pm

Sorry to hear that you are out for a while. Richmond should still be on your list, though.
Richard McClain
JUST SHUT UP AND TRAIN!
Rich McClain

Postby Steph Riley on Thu May 15, 2008 7:10 pm

Good news! Fingers crossed all remains well. See you at Weight City or Virginia Scottish Games.
Steph Riley

Postby TheHammer on Fri May 16, 2008 1:55 pm

Lift light???? i don't understand... :)
I will definately be at the richmond games

David Marble
The new sheaf gnome
TheHammer

Postby Jeff Storey on Fri May 16, 2008 8:33 pm

hey David, best of luck man. we'll see at Richmond or sooner.
I used to think this kitchen was big, until I saw you guys in here...
-AGM's mom
Jeff Storey

Postby bjketchem on Sat May 17, 2008 7:58 am

Get better soon Dave. See you down the line.
BJ
I will be the new, improved and almost as good-looking Mike Wills.
bjketchem

Postby TheHammer on Wed May 21, 2008 10:35 am

Thanks for the support guys. I will let you all know how my tests go... this not driving thing sucks :(

David Marble
The new sheaf gnome
TheHammer

Postby TheHammer on Tue May 27, 2008 10:01 am

Well, the nuerologist hasn't looked at the EEG or MRI yet, but both the technicians administering the tests said they looked good so far. So i am hoping the doc says the same thing and i can go off these stupid pills. I should hear something this week from the nure so i will let you guys know when i will be throwing again.

David Marble
The new sheaf gnome
TheHammer

Postby TheHammer on Tue May 27, 2008 11:18 am

Nuerologist just called. Long story short i will be on siezure medication until .....
Oh well. I just hope the side effects aren't worse than having another siezure. Most of the anti-siezure meds list depression as a side effect.

David Marble
The new sheaf gnome
TheHammer

Postby dziepak on Wed May 28, 2008 9:33 pm

If you eat a lot of food or supplements with Aspartame, or if you ate or drank something with aspartame during or after the competition, I would consider avoiding that ingredient. See:

http://www.naturalnews.com/008952.html
dziepak

Postby TheHammer on Thu May 29, 2008 11:42 am

Yeah, my neurologist gave me a list of supplements linked with seizure. Alot of them can be found in most energy drinks.

David Marble
The new sheaf gnome
TheHammer

Postby Mrs. T-Bone on Thu May 29, 2008 3:58 pm

Sorry to hear about the meds. The aspartame advice is excellent though. It has been proven to cause brain disfunction, severe depression and joint pain as well. It can be found in many things that are not labeled "sugar free". I've found it in almost all gums, some mints and even some cereals that were not "sugar free" products. Conversely, a good workout has been proven to be better than prescription meds for depression. That would be a great plan for offsetting any trouble with the seizure meds. Assuming your doc OK's your workouts. Hang in there. You'll do fine. ;)
Familiarity breeds consent...
Steph Stewart Fitzsimmons
Mrs. T-Bone

Location: Somewhere between the pool in Sarasota, the York river in Gloucester and the next game field

Postby TheHammer on Fri May 30, 2008 2:11 pm

Yeah i do feel better after hitting the gym. Doc has okayed light workouts. He meant cardio, but i took it to mean anything 315 and under was ok :) Been doing ok in the gym, i get tired fast though, i hope that is just a passing side effect. Thanks for all the support guys and girls.

David Marble
The new sheaf gnome
TheHammer

Postby Mike Wills on Fri May 30, 2008 3:07 pm

I understand about getting tired fast. The strep that I got the week of Bridgeport not only affected me there...but the next weekend at Frederick...and all the up until 1 week ago! I sat on the couch for 2 weeks after Frederick with no energy whatsoever and still had aching joints and muscles every day like I had done a killer workout the day before. I am just now feeling good and the workouts are back to where they should be, but it sucks not being injured and still not being able to have at it.

I'm lucky that this has passed and hopefully your seizure will be just a peculiar once in a lifetime happening that you talk about years from now! In the meantime, patience, stretching, and good eating are about all I can suggest.
Mike Wills

Postby TheHammer on Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:59 pm

Well finally some good news to report!
This past monday was the first day i have felt like myself since the seizure. I am guessin :D g the Dilantin is completely out of my system, and i am also acclimated to the Keppra. I have hit Chest, Legs, and Back this week. While i haven't made any PR's i was able to toss 6 Reps on the Bench at 365, 8 Reps on the Leg Press at 1160, and 4 reps on Deadlift at 425. I am hoping to keep this up and start setting some pr's at least in the gym if not on the field. :D

David Marble
The new sheaf gnome
TheHammer

Postby FrankH on Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:11 pm

Doing some light lifting, are you? :o Very nice! Hang in there and keep on getting better.
"...never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never... " --Winston Churchill

"A goal without a plan is just a wish". --Larry Elder
FrankH

Postby TheHammer on Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:33 pm

yeah just a little light lifting :) trying to get those traps up higher than my head... need to ad some height to my WOB. Lol

David Marble
The new sheaf gnome
TheHammer

Return to General discussion