Just stopping by

All issues related to the Highland Games, throwing, Scottish events/culture/history, etc., and just generally hanging out with friends

Just stopping by

Postby jumbo on Sat May 24, 2008 9:29 am

Just stopping by to say hi to all my MASA buddies, I really dig this new board.

Things are going great back here in jumbo-land, Ava is 2 now and is running around and causing mischeif just like a 2 year old should.... big suprise... she is in the 95% in height.

I saw a special on the discovery channel about the highland games last night and it really pulled at the heart strings. It reminded me that I originally got in these games not so much as a "sport" but to celibrate and experience Scottish culture. In looking back, I think I burned myself about by falling into a mindset that this was just a sport and all that mattered at the end of the day was how far you threw compared to everyone else. I'm a highly competitive individual, so this was an easy trap for me to fall in to.

This coming October will be 2 years away from the games for me, and 2 years since taking $$ to throw, so I'm seriously considering coming back out as an Amateur again and this time around trying to enjoy the experience as much as or more than the results.

Not sure why I went off on this philisophical bent, sorry - but it may be a lesson for others, don't get so caught up in how you rank in the database or how far you throw... the real purpose of these games are to celibrate Scottish culture and spend time with good friends.
The man who thinks he can't, and the man who thinks he can are both right... which one are you?
jumbo

Re: Just stopping by . rerun

Postby The McKenzie on Sat May 24, 2008 10:33 am

BIG DAVE,

PLEASE, get your big butt back into action. I for one miss you guys, mostly Rox... I will never know why you thought to turn Pro. You were having too much fun being Jumbo! Get back here! Aye, Poppa dave..

PS: I need somebody around that i can literally see "eye to eye" with..?
The McKenzie

Re: Just stopping by

Postby Steph Riley on Sat May 24, 2008 11:14 am

jumbo wrote:Not sure why I went off on this philisophical bent, sorry - but it may be a lesson for others, don't get so caught up in how you rank in the database or how far you throw... the real purpose of these games are to celibrate Scottish culture and spend time with good friends.

Dave...you are so right! It is an awesome achievement when your numbers get so high, but I definitely see a difference in the spirit of those who are in it for the competition and to see who they can beat, and those who are in it to do as well as they can, hopefully hit a PR, but have a great day just hanging out with other peeps enjoying the festivities. Anways...it IS a FESTival isn't it? Shouldn't it be FESTive?

It would be great to see you back out there on our playing field, some, so I hope you will join us in Richmond or sometime next season. Why let the good times go to waste? Plus, we want to see Ava! We miss you, guy! Thanks for checking in.
Steph Riley

Postby Dan Jackson on Sat May 24, 2008 3:04 pm

Jumbo!
It would be great to see you come back to the games. The sooner the better.
"Son, you haven't lived until you've had crabs." ~ Advice from my friend's Dad upon hearing that we were both going to collage.
Dan Jackson

Postby jumbo on Sat May 24, 2008 11:30 pm

Thanks all, Dave McKenzie - I miss you buddy - I owe my involvement in the games to you, one year at Leesburg you asked me why my big butt wasn't out on the field throwing... and the next thing I knew I was out of field throwing. I don't think I've ever taken the opportunity to tell you how grateful I am to you, so here we go... THANK YOU!

Steph, your positive and friendly attitue epitomizes what the games are really all about - you're one of those rare individuals that you just feel better after hanging around.

Dan, my brother - we will always have a bond because my Dad was particulary fond of you. You were also the first guy that stopped what he was doing that year at McHenry in 98' and showed me how to throw a 56 so I could prevent embarassing myself any further.

Keep your eyes open, you may have a jumbo sighting sooner that you expect...
The man who thinks he can't, and the man who thinks he can are both right... which one are you?
jumbo

Postby Beau Fay on Sun May 25, 2008 10:39 pm

Big Dave, great to see you on the board! And I hope that you do make a return to the games because I miss throwing and hanging out with you, brotha. You are the one who gave me the initial push to get involved in the heavy events and were my first HG mentor.

Just the other day I was telling one of my high school throwers the story about when you and I almost died practicing on that code red day back in the summer of '02... seeing stars, we staggered (barely) back to your truck, turned on the A/C and made a beeline for Baskin Robbins to cool off with sundaes. Haha! Great times and memories.

See you on the field in the future, Big Dave.

Beau
I kinda like goldfish... live.
Beau Fay

Postby FrankH on Mon May 26, 2008 12:21 pm

Hey, Dave-- Glad to hear things are going well, and that you will be coming back to join us! I also miss having you around, and of course am thankful that you and Paul Duncan were nice enough to encourage a flabby, 250-pound desk jockey about 6 years ago. (I am now a 260-pound desk jockey! :D )

Hope to see you guys around soon!!

--Frank
"...never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never... " --Winston Churchill

"A goal without a plan is just a wish". --Larry Elder
FrankH

Postby CelticElf66 on Tue May 27, 2008 8:20 am

Miss you and Rox on and off the field!
Alexandra Duncan

"Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going." - Jim Ryun

Live simply, Love generously, Care deeply, Speak kindly.
CelticElf66

Postby hmckenzie on Tue May 27, 2008 9:04 am

Dave!!!!!!!
I am so excited you are entertaining the idea of coming back! I can't wait to see you and rox out and about, and finally meet Ava! I definitely miss you guys, and am looking forward to October! Welcome home to one of our illustrious founders!
HMAC
hmckenzie

Postby Abner Stolzfuz on Wed May 28, 2008 8:04 am

I too miss Roxy......ok and you too Dave.

~Pulcinella
Abner Stolzfuz

Postby Tim on Wed May 28, 2008 8:34 am

Dave,

It's great to hear from you again. You know you're always welcome to throw with us. Well, only if you bring the family. :D

Hope you can make it back up north this year.

Tim
"I love to sing, and I love to drink Scotch. Most people would rather hear me drink Scotch."- George Burns.

Rock the House
Tim

Postby jumbo on Wed May 28, 2008 7:44 pm

Hey all, thanks... definatley looking forwarding to seeing all of you!

If I can get in, I think I'll target Richmond for my first competition back. I haven't touched an implement in 2 years and will need to MapQuest the gym...lol
jumbo

Return to General discussion