Penn Renn Celtic Fling List

All issues related to the Highland Games, throwing, Scottish events/culture/history, etc., and just generally hanging out with friends

Penn Renn Celtic Fling List

Postby Mike Wills on Fri May 30, 2008 4:35 pm

Below is the current list. The Celtic Fling has very limited space and a shorter mandated duration, so we have a hard stopping point of 15 athletes in a single flight, so please post if you are dropping out.

Michael Dickens (Open Men)
Frank Henry (Open Men)
Mike Wills (Open Men)
Taylor McKay (Open Men)
Sean McKay (Open Men)
William Ryan (Open Men)
SSG Tim Forrester (Open Men)
Andrew Callan (Open Men)
Kevin McCarty (Open Men)
Chris Cunningham (Open Men)
Charles D Wagner (Masters)
James Justice (Masters)
Pat Parker (Masters)
Dan Jackson (Masters)
Mike Melia (Masters)

Waitlist
Tim Mishico (Masters)
Mike Wills

Re: Penn Renn Celtic Fling List

Postby FrankH on Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:40 pm

Mike-- What is the mandated shorter duration?
"...never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never... " --Winston Churchill

"A goal without a plan is just a wish". --Larry Elder
FrankH

Throwing surface

Postby Sean McKay on Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:49 pm

I know last year we discussed building a plywood throwing surface that could be put down on top of the sand. Glue some of that cheap patio astro turf on top and it should be all set. Did anyone, or can anyone follow up on this? I'll help if you let me know who to contact. I'm sure it would be cheaper than the money they waste on sod and soil.
Sean McKay

Postby Mike Wills on Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:53 pm

I have to get specifics from McKenzie, but I think that they don't like us to start throwing until the crowd is let in, which is after the standard 9am time. I'll give details as soon as I get them.
Mike Wills

Postby agcpitt on Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:51 am

Last year we started throwing at about 11am and finished close to 5:30. There was the mandatory sheep dog break for about an hour. It'll be good to see the VMC crew make the trip to the beach at the Penn Ren.

Hey Dickens -- Can you grab that aerobed?
agcpitt

Postby Malcolm Doying on Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:38 pm

Do the athletes have to pay the $24.95 admission charge? What time do we REALLY need to be there?
Malcolm
Malcolm Doying

Postby The McKenzie on Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:36 pm

Questions re; Penn Renn:

I am sending a list of competitors that can enter through the "competitor gate to t6he folks that run the place. It is somebody different every year and becomes tedious rearguing the same battle with those folks every year. Athletes free and family has (by their rules) has to pay..

Gates to public open at 11:00 AM. I would like to start about 10:30 AM to get the stone out of the way. We will be interrupted twice by the sheep dog people again. No choice. Still haven't heard about the throwing box. For all i know we will be throwing in quicksand. last year i asked for a bigger box and they built one. Then they left a sprinkler on it all night! We had quagmire! i can't win with these people!

The way you have to look at that place is that we are considered as a theatrical act because that is what they know. They do not consider us an athletic event. They have their schedule and we have ours. I am somewhere in the middle sinkling fast!

Back on track, athletes enter through the participants gate NOT the main gate. If you get stuck at the main gate like some did last year you will probably be challenged by "Billy Bub" on security and not allowed to enter with a pitch fork cause, ya know, those things could hurt somebody. PARTICIPANTS GATE, GET IT?

I will be happy to send a m,ap of facility and other stuff that I have gotten from these people if you email me privately at:

dmckenzie@wmata.com

We start late and finish late with two 30 minute breaks for those nasty sheep... on sand all day.. and it is hot.. bring your tents.. food and water are also suggested cause the lines for food in the park are forever and expensive!

Anything else guys?? Aye, Poppa dave
The McKenzie

Postby miked on Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:13 pm

Soooo, where should we enter?

And, should we add flair to our clothing to help us be more theatrical? :lol:

I will prepare some good lines for everyone.

"Forsooth! Hast thow cast thine stone farther than me! Anon, Anon, lest we be hasty while the old man measures thy mark."
miked

Postby Gunny on Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:58 am

I'm just waiting for someone to drop out, so I can go. :lol:
Semper Fidelis

James (Gunny) Justice
Gunny

Postby Mrs. T-Bone on Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:54 am

Ok Mike...I think I got it....Alas, kind Sir, me thinkest you fouleth! Once more with feeling :D But, I refuse to wear a bodice and skirts. :shock:
Familiarity breeds consent...
Steph Stewart Fitzsimmons
Mrs. T-Bone

Location: Somewhere between the pool in Sarasota, the York river in Gloucester and the next game field

Postby Malcolm Doying on Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:07 am

Ok Gunny you can have my spot. I've played in the sand enough.
Malcolm
Malcolm Doying

Postby Malcolm Doying on Sun Jun 22, 2008 5:29 pm

Mike, please remove me from the list for Penn Ren.
Malcolm
Malcolm Doying

Postby Adam B on Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:04 am

MIke, Please drop me frm the waitlist, looks like I can't make it after all. Someone else can have my spot to wait. Thanks.

~Adam Brahosky
~Adam B.

"...my head is bloody, but unbowed." ~Invictus
"Well, we dinna get all dressed up fer nuthin'." ~ Hamish from the film "Braveheart"
Adam B

Postby miked on Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:11 pm

Our very own Beau Fay graces the homepage of the Pennsylvania Rennaisance Festival. The are advertising for the Celtic Fling weekend and Highland Games. There is a pic of Beau throwing the Hammer.

He is photogenic, after all.

http://www.parenfaire.com/
miked

Postby miked on Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:29 pm

Hey, anybody want to carpool up to Manheim Saturday morning??

Clan Dickens is planning on leaving at 0600 which should put us there at 0900. As I recall, we are starting late; at 1030, right?

Just looking to defray travel costs a little. We will be cruising in the MOA. And, returning Saturday after the games.

We have room for up to 3 folks.
miked

Postby Mike Wills on Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:41 pm

Depends on whether or not you are coming up I-81. As of right now, I'm going to pick up Cawley in Hagerstown on my way up 81.
Mike Wills

Postby miked on Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:17 pm

As much as I would like to have y'alls company on the way up and back, that route would add about 80 miles each way. no bueno.
miked

Postby Beau Fay on Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:16 am

Classic pic, McDickens! Thanks for pointing that out, brotha. Although I'm a bit confused because I appear to be releasing the hammer left-handed... and if memory serves me correctly (it's been so damn long), I think the hammer is the one event I throw right-handed. A conspiracy....???
I kinda like goldfish... live.
Beau Fay

Postby jim on Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:35 am

miked wrote:As much as I would like to have y'alls company on the way up and back, that route would add about 80 miles each way. no bueno.

You're saying 160 mile round trip is too much effort to gain such witty and engaging conversationalists as Mr. Wills and myself? Insulted, we are! A pox on your mini-van!
I'm not mean, you're just a sissy.
jim

Postby miked on Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:10 pm

Believe me, kind sir, it was a difficult decision. If gas were under 3.89 a gallon, I would be picking you up early Saturday morning. But, OPEC and Exxon have different plans. :roll:
miked

Return to General discussion