Steppingstone, let the battle for second place begin!

All issues related to the Highland Games, throwing, Scottish events/culture/history, etc., and just generally hanging out with friends

Steppingstone, let the battle for second place begin!

Postby bjketchem on Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:19 pm

With Dicken's burning up in the Texas heat,
Beau on the IR,
Drew serving our country,
... and Wills at McHenry,
leaving the reining Pleasonton AM Champ to chase....

Let the battle for number two begin!
I can't wait to battle it out this weekend, It's gonna be a blast!
I will be the new, improved and almost as good-looking Mike Wills.
bjketchem

Re: Steppingstone, let the battle for second place begin!

Postby Jeff Storey on Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:43 pm

Champ or no champ, I'm gunnin for the JC.
he's not THAT good :? ....is he?
I used to think this kitchen was big, until I saw you guys in here...
-AGM's mom
Jeff Storey

Postby Abner Stolzfuz on Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:05 am

Just remember the great equilizer though.....95 degree temps with high humidty this weekend! You never know who will fade out by the end of the day.
Abner Stolzfuz

Postby Clancelt on Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:19 am

Although I can't throw anywhere near Abner, most of my PR's have been set on blistering hot humid days. It does seem like it's Steppingstone that always gets the roasters 8-) I'll take the heat over rain any day of the week.

Most important thing of all, don't forget to hydrate!

Come on Sunday!
I'll spank you smartly with my spank ray.
Clancelt

Postby forrester on Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:10 am

I guess being a Florida boy just might give me an edge... :D

Most of our games in FL are conducted in 80+ degrees! So, +1 on the hydration, the heat IS the great equalizer!!

Floppy hats, lots o water, shade, and be careful with the energy drinks, they can shock your system in that heat and make for a REAL bad day! :shock: :shock:

Let the battle commence BJ! I've got a real good feeling about this weekend, JC you go ahead and run away with the win, the real spectacle will definitely be for place and show, cant wait for the fun!! :D :D :D :D

Good luck to all of us, safe day, and lets let it fly!
The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do.

Everyone needs believe in something. I believe I'll have another scotch.

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
forrester

Postby FrankH on Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:36 am

Remember to hydrate Steve; I don't want to hear any lame excuses! :D I'm looking forward to it; should be a great time. Best of luck to all, and PR's all around--Steppingstone has traditionally been a great place to throw far! See you there, my brothers.
"...never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never... " --Winston Churchill

"A goal without a plan is just a wish". --Larry Elder
FrankH

Postby Mike Wills on Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:51 pm

Remember this about Steppingstone:

It is always brutally hot.
The humidity is always 101%.
The air does not move at all because you're in an isolated little valley.
Take the neoprene off after warmups for the stone!!!
Drink constantly.
Stay in the shade when you can.

You'd almost think I had a bad experience at Steppingstone???
Mike Wills

Postby Abner Stolzfuz on Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:28 pm

We should rename it "The Heat stroke Nationals". I can tell you one thing, I really wilt when its that hot. My body just doesn't seem to be able to handle it usually.
Abner Stolzfuz

Postby Jeff Storey on Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:26 pm

Heat Stroke Nationals....I like the sound of that! Esp because the UV index is going to be 10, and the Heat Index 110. :oops:
I used to think this kitchen was big, until I saw you guys in here...
-AGM's mom
Jeff Storey

Postby Clancelt on Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:25 pm

Ok, it wasn't as hot as I thought it would be. It was HOT though ;)

Couldn't of thrown with a better group of guys. We all seemed to have a great time despite the heat. My girl is crashed out on the sofa and I am kicked back in a bean bag chair finishing off the rest of my sport drinks. Ahhh, I feel good ;)

No PR's for me today, but an overall solid day. I was throwing about where I expected in every event, and you can't ask for more than that. Oooo, I feel the hight events starting to click... soon, very soon... mooohahahaha...

Ok, the heat must of got to me a little.

-Eric
I'll spank you smartly with my spank ray.
Clancelt

Postby FrankH on Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:47 pm

Well I for one am pretty gassed. I had a pretty solid day, though, with a PR in the WOB, a good stone and pretty good weights. I wish I had another chance at that caber; felt like it was definitely turnable. Great throwing with everyone, and thanks to Dave, Heather, Steph, Pete and master MacQuarrie for their help, and to Steve's gal for her scorekeeping. Heading for bed-- Frank out.
"...never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never... " --Winston Churchill

"A goal without a plan is just a wish". --Larry Elder
FrankH

Postby Abner Stolzfuz on Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:46 am

Hell man, I came home and mowed my lawn after the games! :oops: That is what my face looked like when I was done.

Great day though, if it wasn't for the heat there would have been PRs all around I bet. Thanks for the fun day guys.
Abner Stolzfuz

Postby Mrs. T-Bone on Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:28 pm

Yea! There were no fatalities and I woke up brown (not red). Thank God for that little bit of Apache blood. As for mowing....I'm thinking September :) . The thermometer on my front porch says it's 100 degrees, the heat index is 107 and it's only noon. The order of the day...lots of home grown mint tea, air conditioning, a good book and dinner out. The news guys just said tomorrow is expected to be hotter than today. Yikes!

Thanks to all of you for another wonderful day on the field. You make it worth doing.
Familiarity breeds consent...
Steph Stewart Fitzsimmons
Mrs. T-Bone

Location: Somewhere between the pool in Sarasota, the York river in Gloucester and the next game field

Postby forrester on Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:18 pm

WOW, what a cooker of a day! Day Two of throwing for me, following McHenry, and I started off strong. Didnt feel gassed, or terribly sore. Open stone was pretty standard for me, came within 2" of PR (set the day before) in HWFD at 24'. Little off in the LWFD and 47'+, same with the hammer.... then came the caber ( dunh, dunh, DUNHHHHH!!!)

First two throws pulled a solid 70 degree on both, which was much better than McHenry. I wanted that caber bad! Got up to the third throw, and knew I had to pull one out to take third, was feeling a little twingy in the knee but thought all would be fine. Great pick, very little dance then its of to the races! Pull started nice, and then it all fell apart.... as I dropped to pull, knee started to go, but rockhead me wanted it so bad i kept pulling... start to come up and knee completely gave out, dropping me like Id been hit by Chuck Liddell. only ended up with a 55 degree. that so sucked.

Pretty much had to write off the rest of the day after that. no height in sheaf, and only 10' in WOB. I intentionally faulted 11' to save my knee, and because i gave my word i wouldnt go for 11'. And glad to do it.

Overall a very disapponting end to an awesome weekend, but I wouldnt trade it for anything!

ALso a special thanks to BJ and JC for all your help in getting my knee straight, next beer is on me!
The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do.

Everyone needs believe in something. I believe I'll have another scotch.

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
forrester

Return to General discussion