McHenry Report

All issues related to the Highland Games, throwing, Scottish events/culture/history, etc., and just generally hanging out with friends

McHenry Report

Postby Mike Wills on Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:17 pm

We had a good day at McHenry with temps around 85-90 but with a steady breeze and no rain all day! We threw the stone and both weights on the lower part of the lower field (inside the fence) and there was virtually no slope. We threw the hammer from the top field and had a ridiculous slope, but the box rising so fast in front of you made many people change their technique - and even choke up on the handle to keep from hitting the ground while simultaneously trying not to fall over backwards - so the results were similar to what you would hit on level ground!

I battled with Stephen Malutich all day, and I'll have to say that he was the better thrower, but just couldn't master the sheaf. More important to me was seeing how much he has grown as a man over the past couple of years. It was a real privilege to share the field with him on Saturday, and now I can truly say that I wish him luck as he moves up the ranks.

I know that Tim Forrester got a couple of nice PR's in the weights and Pat Parker showed that he can still pull a tough caber. Overall it was a good day and more folks should plan on coming back next year.

This was my first win in a couple of years...and I didn't know if it would ever happen again after the knee surgeries...but just being able to compete with a good group was the bast part.
Mike Wills

Re: McHenry Report

Postby Largemilk on Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:22 pm

McHenry was awesome!! I really want to thank the MASA staff for the hard work they've had to put in in last few months. The success of MASA and these games It's a testament to the dedication of Big Daddy Mac and the outstanding MASA crew and each and every athletes should give each and every one of them a huge round of applause for the blood sweat and tears that happen to make this all come alive. This weekend in particular had to have been taxing with two games on probably one of the hottest weekends on record! I guess the sheaf gods must have been looking fondly on this crew and let up on the humidity to make for an injury (stroke or otherwise!) free weekend.

McHenry was fierce but friendly as we've all come to expect. It was great to see the return of an athlete that many had great expectations for and even greater to see someone step into the role of Highland Athlete with all it's ingrained entitlements. Congrats to mike "Stumpalicious" Wills on a games well won and Congrats to Steve Malutich for his return to the herd and a very close second place finish. I think the great equalizers meant that for every mark entered on the score sheets, the slopes were flattened and the athletes abilities to adapt to any environment shone through.

I too had a few nice numbers and seem to be continuing my efforts to become a good sheafer. If only my stone put could catch up.

I had a great time and the beautiful day with the mountain and lake in the background couldn't be more picture perfect.

Finally, thanks to Tim and Al for their genius in rigging an awesome shelter from the sun. I got well toasted but if it weren't for that shelter, I'm sure I'd be nothing but sun blisters today. Pale boy needs SPF 70, yup, sure does.
" A hammer a day keeps the chiropractor in pay"
Largemilk

Re: McHenry Report

Postby Stephen Malutich on Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:22 pm

Thanks for the kind words guys... Good to be back throwing again... The day was awsome with the exception of my shortcomings in sheaf and fouling a 107 hammer throw... But rest assured I the next game I come to I will be ready.

Good to be back fellas hope to see you at another games soon

steve
Stephen Malutich

Return to General discussion