Steppingstone Report...

All issues related to the Highland Games, throwing, Scottish events/culture/history, etc., and just generally hanging out with friends

Steppingstone Report...

Postby Drew Kirchen on Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:32 am

Hey fellas, looking for a good report on Steppingstone and how everyone did??? Anyone, anyone...

Anyways, we have finished up with our RIP process here and we are starting our travel back to the states in the next couple of days. Have to go back to Kansas for a few but should be back in the MASA area around the end of the month. I can't wait to see everyone and begin training for the end of the season...gonna have to turn it on with the way you fellas are throwing.

Alright, gotta go. One more joint patrol and I'm done...wish me luck.

Later, Drew
Drew Kirchen

Re: Steppingstone Report...

Postby Steph Riley on Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:50 am

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Steph Riley

Postby Tim on Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:07 pm

Steph Riley wrote:Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

+1

It'll be good to have you back, Drew.
"I love to sing, and I love to drink Scotch. Most people would rather hear me drink Scotch."- George Burns.

Rock the House
Tim

Postby FrankH on Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:05 pm

Roger that. The VMC just isn't the same. Plenty of season left; see you soon!
"...never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never... " --Winston Churchill

"A goal without a plan is just a wish". --Larry Elder
FrankH

Postby FrankH on Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:26 pm

Not sure how things went on the Open side, except that John (the Beast) Collins won. Looked to be some good throwing going on, though. On the Master's side, (not that you care ;) ) Steve Pulcinella pretty much had his way with us, winning every event easily. As best I can recall, he went: around 48 in the Stone, 52 or 53 in the HWFD, nearly 71 in the LWFD, 110+ in the LH, 89 degrees on 1 pull on the caber before it broke, just missed 30 in the sheaf (27) and just missed 19 in the WOB (17). I got 2nd, Eric Wright was 3rd, and I think Pat Mcnamee and Tim Ross followed that; not sure. We had about 9 throwers.

Tim Forrester continues to improve in a big way; just thought I'd throw that in since he's a brother doggie. :D He also threw at McHenry, where I think he had a couple PR's, and he got up after a pretty nasty knee injury during caber and finished out the comp. You boys are pretty hard-headed for doggies. :P

Temp was around 98 degrees; heat index was in the 105-107 range. Do you feel sorry for us? 8-)

Later--

--Frank
"...never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never... " --Winston Churchill

FrankH

Postby CelticElf66 on Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:44 am

Glad to hear you will be back again soon Drew.
Alexandra Duncan

"Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going." - Jim Ryun

Live simply, Love generously, Care deeply, Speak kindly.
CelticElf66

Postby Abner Stolzfuz on Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:30 am

No Frank, i got 19' in the WOB and missed 20'.
Abner Stolzfuz

Postby FrankH on Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:13 pm

I thought that bar looked awful high when you were done! Nice.

FrankH

Postby Mike Wills on Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:06 pm

I have the Steppingstone results, but when I tried to enter them on Tuesday, the database was malfunctioning. I'll try again tonight.
Mike Wills

Postby Clancelt on Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:58 pm

I thought that bar looked awful high when you were done! Nice.

That bar was awful high when he started! :lol:
I'll spank you smartly with my spank ray.
Clancelt

Postby FrankH on Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:24 pm

True dat! 8-) When did he come in-- 16? :shock:

FrankH

Postby jcollins on Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:44 pm

Drew,

Good to hear you will be home soon and throwing with us again. You will be making us look real bad weighing in at a lean 230 and still throwing like a monster. I will have to get back on my workout plan to get below 200 so that I can at least beat you in the swimsuit contest.

Steppingstone was a great time and we somehow managed not to have any major heat stroke related incidents despite the scorching temperatures. There were some bomb stones including a big PR from BJ of over 43 feet, a 45 foot from Kevin McCarty (who is going to be a major beast in the near future) and I managed to fix whatever was wrong with my stone and get over 50. Other than that we had a good comp all the way through caber where Tim Forrester unfortunately fell victim to a bad knee and sadly the big stick was battered during our comp and finally capitulated during the masters rounds. It was a shame b/c I was beginning to like that caber a lot and actually managed 2 12 o'clocks. Tim, being a supreme being, got up, rubbed some dirt on it and managed to finish the comp despite obvious pain. I am convinced Kevin has the best cheering section and traveling fan base in the games today and it was good to meet him and his family.

Long story short, lots of good throws and PR's and no sheep dogs, so all went well. I managed to go home with a large purple cow ribbon, which is very appropriate given the surroundings, met some new people and had a great time. Look forward to doing it next yr.

Give me a shout when you get back in the DC area. We need to grab a pint or two and some steaks somewhere in NOVA.

- John
My friend's flesh and blood
Night size - perfect ten
So rude - she´s no good
But she says...
She can taste the wind
Play to win
She PLAAAYS to win
jcollins

Postby miked on Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:23 pm

Weight City is gonna be goooood.