Penn Ren Report?

All issues related to the Highland Games, throwing, Scottish events/culture/history, etc., and just generally hanging out with friends

Penn Ren Report?

Postby Jeff Storey on Sun Jun 29, 2008 12:27 pm

anyone got a report on Penn Ren?

Mike? Mike? Frank? :lol: :lol:
I used to think this kitchen was big, until I saw you guys in here...
-AGM's mom
Jeff Storey

Re: Penn Ren Report?

Postby jim on Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:54 pm

Frank Henry and the caber. Sean McKay winning it all on the final toss.

Mike and Mike throwing things AT each other.

Braemar stone instead of sheaf.

A fond farewell to a great guy.

It was a very good day.
I'm not mean, you're just a sissy.
jim

Postby Dan Jackson on Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:15 am

If I might add, great job in the masters by Gunny. A class act with solid throws resulting in a 1st place finish.
"Son, you haven't lived until you've had crabs." ~ Advice from my friend's Dad upon hearing that we were both going to collage.
Dan Jackson

Postby Clancelt on Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:59 am

Looks like the jarheads have an advantage in the sand! No surprise there, it was just another day storming the beach to them 8-)

Way to go Gunny and Frank!
I'll spank you smartly with my spank ray.
Clancelt

Postby Gunny on Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:11 am

I guess it was the past two weeks on a beach in Hawaii that did it for me. That and setting 5 new pr's and matching another.
The biggest gain was 9+ feet in the 28. Yes, I'm still smiling.
Semper Fidelis

James (Gunny) Justice
Gunny

Postby miked on Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:19 am

I had a blast. When people talked about throwing out of a sand box, I didn't know that they literally meant a friggin sand box. :lol:
I figured there was really thin, bad grass or something. The field is a rennaisance faire jousting arean. Haha

So, we throw off a 10'x10' plot of sod on top of about and inch of soil on top of plywood. So, in every event you feel like you are going to fall of a platform. In the weights, you can actually feel the plywood flexing under you. And, forget about hammer blades. Then, imagine throwing caber at the beach. Not the nice packed sand next to the water, but the fluffy stuff everyone has been playing volleyball in and driving ATVs all over. It was the most challenging field I have every thrown on; it was like Survivor Highland Games.

So, it was a little frustrating, but tons of fun. And, the crowd was great.

I think I threw a new low PR in the HH: 74+ feet. Fouled the first, easy two swing on the 2nd, easy three swing and bounce it off the ground on the third. The funny thing is I was really hoping to go 100 there. Haha!!

Big Sean McKay looked pretty good out there and crushed us in the caber, beating out Frank "the Legend" Henry, then Wills, then me. The only other person to turn the caber was Kevin McCarty. Yes, he's a beast. Single spun the LWFD 52' and cleared 14' in the WOB. Yikes.

Wills did not get along with the Braemar stone, but looked good in the weights.

Sean's "little" brother, all 6'4" of him, was looking pretty good out there, too. He will be challenging big bro before too long.

I think the overall was:

Dickens
McKay
McCarty
Henry
Wills

You will have to check with others for the Master's finishers. Gunny won it, but Pat Parker was looking pretty good, as was Dan Jackson, and I think Melia said he hit some good numbers, too.

I think next year we will stick around and enjoy the festival on Sunday. It is a pretty impressive set up. Lots to see and do.
miked

Postby Steph Riley on Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:02 am

miked wrote:...it was like Survivor Highland Games...

Hahahahaha!!! Sounds like I missed a good show. Sorry I missed it...I was at the REAL beach.
Steph Riley

Postby Mike Wills on Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:55 am

I'm still playing survivor...I got an emergency appt with my gastro today...but I may not make it that long and may have to hit the ER. Three straight days of feeling like I swallowed a basketball, extreme pain and cramping, the big d, throwing up and bile coming up into my stomach. I'll let you know.
Mike Wills

Postby miked on Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:20 am

Damn, bro. I remember you saying something wasn't right with your stomach on Saturday.

Hang in there and let us know what's going on.
miked

Postby Clancelt on Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:41 am

I told those kids not to play basketball around you while you were eating! :D

Hope you feel better Mike.
I'll spank you smartly with my spank ray.
Clancelt

Postby Jeff Storey on Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:45 am

sheez Mike, hope it's just some bad haggis....hope you feel better soon.
I used to think this kitchen was big, until I saw you guys in here...
-AGM's mom
Jeff Storey

Postby Mike Wills on Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:41 pm

Things seem to be under control now. I got some librax to help keep things down where they're supposed to be for now. The doc is pretty certain that the problem is a bacteria that has set up shop in my small intestine that is normally killed by stomach acid...but since I have to take medicine for acid reflux twice a day, it got by and has established a stronghold. The bacteria can work its way back up into the stomach, and every time it does, I essentially get the equal to a bad stomach virus.

I am going in this week for a "breathing test" which will use an indigestible sugar and breath samples every 20 minutes to determine exactly where the bacteria is and what type it is. After that, they can give me a specific antibiotic that should kill it. Not fun, but it helps to know that I shouldn't have to deal with this any more.

Also, I don't believe this had caught on enough to affect my throwing on Saturday...so no excuses. The guys who finished ahead of me did so because they earned it...and in my opinion, the best athlete on the field that day was Mr. Frank Henry!
Mike Wills

Postby miked on Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:26 pm

Good to know you are gonna live. My guts are feeling out of whack today. I didn't think we kissed enough to have passed anything. Damn. :o

I agree . . . Frank Henry was the best athlete on the field Saturday. I mean, when you consider how old he is. Sheesh. Pretty remarkable. I mean, he doesn't need a walker or anything.
miked

Postby CelticElf66 on Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:15 am

miked wrote: it was like Survivor Highland Games.

I think we have a new games category! :lol:
Alexandra Duncan

"Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going." - Jim Ryun

Live simply, Love generously, Care deeply, Speak kindly.
CelticElf66

Postby Gunny on Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:31 pm

Do these results get posted to the NASGA database?
Semper Fidelis

James (Gunny) Justice
Gunny

Postby Mike Wills on Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:47 pm

Yeah...I've been a little under the weather, so I'll get them up in the next couple of days.
Mike Wills

Return to General discussion