Greetings From Scotland

All issues related to the Highland Games, throwing, Scottish events/culture/history, etc., and just generally hanging out with friends

Greetings From Scotland

Postby bjketchem on Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:23 am

Hey everyone...just checking in here from across the pond. First, I have to say that Scotland is an amazing place. Christina and I are havign a great time and it really is the most beautiful place I have ever been too. Because I have such a loving and supportive wife, I got to do a games here (Ceres) and we went out to the middle of nowhere so I could attempt to pick up the Dinnie Stones (got them both :lol: )

If anyone has a chance to compete here, you gotta do it. It is so laid back and you can actually get paid. Though it may not be a ton, but I managed to make £40 (about $80) with a third in the shot putt and first place in the tug-of-war. The heavies were asked to make a team of five and compete against a local squad. We bet them pretty easily (which we should have), we did have some guy named Gregor Edmunds :lol: , a 340 pound mammoth from New Zeland, and the 20th rank discus thrower in world from Canada, another scottish heavy and some nobody from the usa (me).

I
more stories to come but I gotta run the almost out of time here on the compter. Can't wait to see you all soon!
BJ
I will be the new, improved and almost as good-looking Mike Wills.
bjketchem

Re: Greetings From Scotland

Postby Mace on Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:48 pm

Sweet.. So BJ's a Pro now? :lol:
just playing with you..

Glad you're having so much fun.
Sam and I are hoping to make the trip next summer.
-KM
Mace

Postby Mrs. T-Bone on Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:20 pm

That sounds incredible BJ. I'm jealous. I've wanted to go for years. Bob was scheduled to compete in the Master's World Championship in July '06 but was too sick. He was heartbroken, but excited for Frank when he came home...Lee too! I plan on going (with our girls) to Inverness next summer for the Championships he missed. I'd like to stay for the Pro's Championship in Edinburgh a week later. Just to really make a trip of it.

To all you Masters, Get Qualified! It is going to be a blast! Wouldn't want to do it without you :D
Familiarity breeds consent...
Steph Stewart Fitzsimmons
Mrs. T-Bone

Location: Somewhere between the pool in Sarasota, the York river in Gloucester and the next game field

Postby bjketchem on Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:33 pm

It really was an amazing trip. if anyone is interested in going there, just shoot me a PM and I will give you the details and names of the places we went and stayed. We pretty much stayed in B & B's and found some really good ones, one in particular was in Inverness, which is a great little city.

As for turning pro... who would have thought that I would beat Dickens, Drew, Beau, John or Sam to that :lol:

But I think me and my massive HWFD will stay in the world of the AM's ;)

Just don't tell anyone about my HUGE payday :shock:
I will be the new, improved and almost as good-looking Mike Wills.
bjketchem

Postby Aaron on Sat Jul 05, 2008 1:06 am

Hey BJ...me and the wife went to Scotland last year for our 5 yeard wedding annie...I was able to watch the games at Peebles, about 30 minutes south from Edinburgh. great little town gathering with the games....it was awesome...all the guys were pros so it was an impressive sight....

We went all over for about 14 days, hitting a lot of the "big" places and a few out of the way places, so if i can offer some info to support BJ, Soctland is a great place..So is Ireland, when there for the honeymoon.
Aaron

Postby CelticElf66 on Sat Jul 05, 2008 2:27 pm

bjketchem wrote: Just don't tell anyone about my HUGE payday :shock:

Too late :lol:
Alexandra Duncan

"Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going." - Jim Ryun

Live simply, Love generously, Care deeply, Speak kindly.
CelticElf66

Return to General discussion