FDA to Add Warning to Antibiotics

All issues related to the Highland Games, throwing, Scottish events/culture/history, etc., and just generally hanging out with friends

Postby CelticElf66 on Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:33 am

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1215532 ... mod=djemHL

By JARED A. FAVOLE
July 9, 2008; Page B7

WASHINGTON -- The U.S. Food and Drug Administration will seek to add strong warnings about the risks of tendon rupture associated with a class of antibiotics used to treat bacterial infections.
Alexandra Duncan

"Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going." - Jim Ryun

Live simply, Love generously, Care deeply, Speak kindly.
CelticElf66

Re: FDA to Add Warning to Antibiotics

Postby dWood on Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:29 pm

Now they tell me,when my orthopedic was evaluating my injury post surgery,my diet,training,competiion history-the one factor he thought contributed the most to my injury(dual patellar tendon rupture) was the use of Fluoroquines(cipro).. :cry:
dWood

Re: FDA to Add Warning to Antibiotics

Postby Mrs. T-Bone on Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:13 pm

OK, the warnings on these meds have been in place since 1992. But apparently the Docs aren't paying attention, so the FDA is re-issuing their strongest warning. While the risk increase is 3-4 times the untreated population, athletes and people with certain medical problems (rheumatoid arthritis and anyone with a history of tendon problems) as well as people over 60 are at greater risk. (At least it's not a double whammy for ya Frank). You "Super-Masters" may want to file this knowledge in case your Doc still isn't paying attention. All of you should always tell your Doc that you are a competative athlete before he gives you an antibiotic. You'd think your Doc would recognize your mighty toned and rippled body as that of an athlete but ....

These are excerpts from the article I received from one of the watchdog groups:

Fluoroquinolone products affected by the labeling changes include ciprofloxacin (Cipro, Bayer; and generics), extended-release ciprofloxacin (Cipro XR, Bayer; Proquin XR, Depomed), gemifloxacin (Factive, Oscient), levofloxacin (Levaquin, Ortho McNeil), moxifloxacin (Avelox, Bayer), norfloxacin (Noroxin, Merck), and ofloxacin (Floxin, Ortho McNeil; and generic).

Depending on the specific medication, patients may experience pain, swelling, or inflammation in the tendon area for up to 2 weeks before rupture occurs. Patients should be advised to stop taking their fluoroquinolone medication and immediately contact their healthcare provider if these symptoms occur, as well as to avoid exercise and use of the affected area.
Familiarity breeds consent...
Steph Stewart Fitzsimmons
Mrs. T-Bone

Location: Somewhere between the pool in Sarasota, the York river in Gloucester and the next game field

Return to General discussion