Video of the Week

All issues related to the Highland Games, throwing, Scottish events/culture/history, etc., and just generally hanging out with friends

Video of the Week

Postby miked on Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:54 pm

A day late. Sorry.
Here is a video of Old Man McClain throwing the 56# at Williamsburg in the open class.

This is a good example of being smooth and staying long and building up speed (some ;) ) across the trig. He also hits his positions well and gets a good pull at the end. The result, a master throwing the 56 for over 31 feet.

Also note how those genetics he was lamenting are assisting in this event: the elbow and wrist are actually elongating allowing an extension of his lever and the aerodynamic nature of his joints really allows the lever to slice through the air resulting in extra speed. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7Cr5RoIlIE

Nice throw.
miked

Re: Video of the Week

Postby Sheaf daddy on Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:30 am

Yes - actually feeling the stretch in the elbow and wrist is not a good feeling from the pain perspective BUT I know it will be a nice one. Thanks for that post PhatMike. I was really happy having 4 throws over 30' given how little I practice the heavy weight.

Bryan

OK I have analzed it enough now to critique myself (can you say OCD?)

Good points: Left arm is raised to square me off more and minimize my tendency to lean against the weight.
I am using my legs in my swings to move the weight instead of my core.
When I land after my cast I sit and I am patient with the weight letting it drop to its low point before pulling it into the sprint.
I am also patient waiting for the weight after my sprint. It is high and behind me when I land. Most guys pull from there and land on their ass. Never fight the 56 - it ALWAYS wins.
Lastly, even though I land closed off I pull with my legs toward the angle that keeps my feet open and I lift with my legs.

Bad points: I don't sink nearly enough at the end. And extra 2-3 inches of sinking would result in that much more pull and likely another foot at the end. Note: you do NOT need to go that low with the 56. In fact if you go too low you are out of balance AND you will have no power. The 56 weighs 56lbs times the g-force you are applying. I believe that when you are patient the g-forces are not that bad except at the low points but still 56 x 4g is 224 lbs. If you pull too early then the g forces are much greater at the bottom of the pull when you have accelerated the weight in the wrong direction (down) and then try and lift.

Two other bad points - I am closed when I land. Lastly, I really don't pull with my left side at the end. I believe I trained myself not too from the constant muscle spasms from 2 years ago on the left side. Pull hard = crippling pain. I need to retrain myself now that I am healed up.
Trish: Colin go get your bike and put it away!

Colin: Okay but someone is going to swoop down, stop, take a picture and sell it on the internet.
Sheaf daddy

Re: Video of the Week

Postby FrankH on Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:20 am

You make it look easy, Bryan-- sweeeeeet!!
"...never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never... " --Winston Churchill

"A goal without a plan is just a wish". --Larry Elder
FrankH

Return to General discussion