Calendar of Events

All issues related to the Highland Games, throwing, Scottish events/culture/history, etc., and just generally hanging out with friends

Calendar of Events

Postby Gunny on Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:17 am

Let's hear it. I want to know where you guy's look for the most accurate calendar of Heavy Events.

I use ours here on the MASA board and the NASGA board, but I've found that the NASGA board is not updated very well.

Of 5 events (outside of MASA events) that I've tried to contact, 1 changed POC but was polite enough to forward the message, 2 were the wrong dates (by months), and 2 never responded. :?:

Is this the norm that I must live with, or is there a better site of events?
Semper Fidelis

James (Gunny) Justice
Gunny

Re: Calendar of Events

Postby CelticElf66 on Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:31 am

The Association of Scottish Games and Festivals has a pretty good claendar of festivals and will tell you how they are scheduled. Unfortunately NASGA is only as good as the information put into it and it covers a lot of area. Not everyone goes in and updates their information on a regular basis. I am not even sure if our info is correct on NASGA. I only worry about making sure that Adam and Mike have the correct info.

We are fortunate to have a small OCD group running our calendar and site so that we are pretty accurate. Not 100%, but we try.

Alex
Alexandra Duncan

"Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going." - Jim Ryun

Live simply, Love generously, Care deeply, Speak kindly.
CelticElf66

Postby Mike Wills on Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:53 am

I go in every year and update the MASA games information on NASGA, and if I'm positive that other local games are shutting down, I'll take them out.
Mike Wills

Postby Gunny on Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:59 am

Thanks Alex, I hadn't found that one yet.

I appriciate the work you folks do at keeping this site rolling and the nasga site updated with our information.
Semper Fidelis

James (Gunny) Justice
Gunny

Postby CelticElf66 on Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:19 am

Try http://www.asgf.org/4.html

Their listing by state is the one that tells you if it is the "fifth thursday of a full moon" that determines when their games are.
Alexandra Duncan

"Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going." - Jim Ryun

Live simply, Love generously, Care deeply, Speak kindly.
CelticElf66

Postby agm on Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:55 pm

The ASGF calendar is accurate, but limited to games that are ASGF members. So it's far from complete. Some of the other good calendars are gone now (Clan MacLachlan used to have the best). The most complete is probably US Scots (http://www.usscots.com/events/welcome.html). I don't know how accurate it is, but it includes links to each event's web site, so you can double check.
agm
Site Admin

Return to General discussion