Dublin Irish Festival

All issues related to the Highland Games, throwing, Scottish events/culture/history, etc., and just generally hanging out with friends

Dublin Irish Festival

Postby Rich McClain on Sun Aug 03, 2008 3:32 am

The inaugural Dublin Irish Festival Games is in the books. It was a great day to throw. The field records have been set for next year. Thanks to The McKenzie, Kevin and Deb Anderson, John Paul, Buddy Caplinger and his festival staff for putting on the games.

Jeremy Gillingham and Jason Thomas battled it out in the open class with Jason claiming the title. Both maxed out the Sheaf Standards at 32' 6". It was a sight to see. Next competition with either of them an additional 4 to 8 feet will be added. Jason is nipping at the WR.

The masters class also saw a great battle between Doug Ballard and Greg Henger with Doug claiming top honors. Charles Fleming stepped on to the field for his first games as a master athlete. I welcomed him to the dark side. The only casualty of the day was the perimeter fence that Doug used to cushion his caber toss as he turned a perfect 12:00.

If Dave gets his way, next year we will have nearly double the field to throw in so he can run 2 flights and throw the hammer(s). There were a number of spectators asking questions and inquiring about getting involved. We all took turns interacting with the crowd. I can see these games really growing to something special.
Richard McClain
JUST SHUT UP AND TRAIN!
Rich McClain

Re: Dublin Irish Festival

Postby krazy40 on Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:23 am

I had a great time. thanks for letting the Indiana guy come over and play. That Festival was HUGE. Max out the standards was a trip for me, that was over a 6' PR. I would like to thank Jason for all the tips he passed a long the way. It was a good games, very well organized. I'm looking forward to coming again next year and throwing a lil hammer this time. But don't get rid of the Braemar :D
Jeremy Gillingham

Go Big or Go Home
Why run and puke when you can eat and throw?
krazy40

Postby Largemilk on Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:44 pm

Thanks to Rich for the warm welcome to the Dark Side and the recap of the day (I'll still fight with the 56 at least until the end of this season!!). Was a very awesome event. Incredible numbers of people attending this festival and I think they loved us...well that is, until Doug threw a caber at them. ;-)

I'll fly next year. The drive is a bit too long (and the speeding ticket...oops!-- I wasn't going that fast...77 in a 65....shish, even at that speed everyone whizzed past me but somehow the VA plates in OH got tagged...hmmmm). But I'll definitely be back.

Other notes...Jason Thomas is a beast.
Jeremy Gillingham is an uber-beast.
Everyone else, well, lets just say it was great hanging out with you all. A groups of fine athletes! Too bad the hundreds of beer tokens couldn't have been put to libatious use!!

The small group of athletes was great in that it left time for us to relax and joke around. Next year, if more talent comes to this field I suspect it will be one of the country's premiere events!!

Last thoughts...
I like the 42. I think it likes me.
" A hammer a day keeps the chiropractor in pay"
Largemilk

Postby walock on Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:29 am

Reporter dude has a good picture of Jeremy at the link below (picture 18):

http://www.thisweeknews.com/live/founda ... ab1&tot=24
walock

Postby CelticElf66 on Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:12 pm

Rock juggling? New event? :D
Alexandra Duncan

"Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going." - Jim Ryun

Live simply, Love generously, Care deeply, Speak kindly.
CelticElf66

Postby Rich McClain on Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:29 pm

Dave,

Any word on when the scores will be posted for Dublin?
Richard McClain
JUST SHUT UP AND TRAIN!
Rich McClain

Postby krazy40 on Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:55 pm

Any word on posting the scores yet?
Jeremy Gillingham

Go Big or Go Home
Why run and puke when you can eat and throw?
krazy40

Postby CelticElf66 on Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:09 pm

Scores are at home with our "on bedrest" overly pregnant judge. I will try to get them over the weekend. My apologies as this has not been one of our smoother moments.

Alex :oops:
Alexandra Duncan

"Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going." - Jim Ryun

CelticElf66

Postby Rich McClain on Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:39 pm

Thanks!
Richard McClain
JUST SHUT UP AND TRAIN!
Rich McClain

Postby Rich McClain on Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:49 pm

Bump
Richard McClain
JUST SHUT UP AND TRAIN!
Rich McClain

Postby CelticElf66 on Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:21 am

Bump is gone! Jen had her baby, a gorgeous little girl, Sarah.

AND she got the scores to me last night. I have just finished double checking them and sent them to Mike Wills for posting. I am sure they will be up some time this morning.

Alex
Alexandra Duncan

CelticElf66

Postby Rich McClain on Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:24 pm

:D

Thanks!
Richard McClain
JUST SHUT UP AND TRAIN!
Rich McClain

Return to General discussion