pleasanton day 1

All issues related to the Highland Games, throwing, Scottish events/culture/history, etc., and just generally hanging out with friends

pleasanton day 1

Postby Sheaf daddy on Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:12 am

all of us have had at least 1 bad event but Drew and JC are tied for 3rd - Phat Mike the hairless ape is in the middle somewhere

I am doing ok 5% off from July but 1 foot in the braemar was the difference between 4th and 8th. and so on I cleared 16 in the knock off WOB.

Frank is still in 2nd after two bad events Not sure where Mike M is

three more events for the overall and then two more for money and we be done.
Trish: Colin go get your bike and put it away!

Colin: Okay but someone is going to swoop down, stop, take a picture and sell it on the internet.
Sheaf daddy

Re: pleasanton day 1

Postby Sheaf daddy on Mon Sep 01, 2008 5:24 pm

Well consistency worked out for Drew - He won the overall. So the VMC brought the trophy back after John awesome win last year and it is coming back (home) again this year.

I dug a deep hole with my braemar stone and both hammers that I was not able to climb out of. PR'd in the WOB for a knock off bar 16' Was nailing the bar at 17' the second day. Placed 3rd in the hvy wt. with a 41' er.

John Collins put in a pretty consistent performace as did Mike Dicken. Frank had some mis-steps but otherwise a very solid performance for 2nd in his class behind Dan John and I know Mike M was working all weekend to put in a good performance.

Overall it was a lot of fun despite my dis-appointment. I did learn a very valuable lesson. I need to continue to lift and keep throwing focused on quality not volume.

Congrats to Drew for the big win in a phenomenol group of throwers
Trish: Colin go get your bike and put it away!

Colin: Okay but someone is going to swoop down, stop, take a picture and sell it on the internet.
Sheaf daddy

Postby chirolifter on Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:20 pm

Awesome games!!! Although I am not a part of the meathead club I feel right at home with you all... It was nice that myself, Drew won and Frank pulled out the wob and Caber on the second day and took second overall. Bryan looked good and pr'd the second day in wob, just goes to show you what rest will do!!! I always err on the side of rest, trust me its not easy but a necessity! I had a very consistant games hitting 2 prs in lw and lh. I am always looking for a more challenging Caber, I turned that one all 6x... Great to see everyone!
Gene
Strive for Perfection, Settle for Excellence !!!
chirolifter

Postby FrankH on Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:53 pm

Yes, awesone games and great to see the MASA guys doing well. Congrats to Drew and Gene for their wins. I threw OK, but struggled with the knock-off bar in wob, clearing 14 feet for my lowest height in a couple years. (Last 14-footer was the knock-off bar in Inverness in 2006, I think.) As Gene said, I had a good second day though, winning both the caber and WOB events, even shooting for 17'1" for the field record in wob and getting close, but no cigar. Dan John was great as expected; he even had an off day (by his standards) and still won most of the events and set a couple field records. I won the LW and Dan Taylor won the caber, keeping him from a clean sweep. Outstanding job by all MASA'ns, and I enjoyed throwing with a solid bunch of 50+ guys. Great job by Steve Conway and his crew, and it was fantastic seeing Ryan Vierra being awarded the Chieftain's Trophy.
"...never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never... " --Winston Churchill

"A goal without a plan is just a wish". --Larry Elder
FrankH

Postby Gunny on Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:17 am

Congrats to all our MASA Warriors that represented the East coast! Way to kick butt!
Semper Fidelis

James (Gunny) Justice
Gunny

Return to General discussion