Hey Beau

All issues related to the Highland Games, throwing, Scottish events/culture/history, etc., and just generally hanging out with friends

Hey Beau

Postby Mike Wills on Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:24 am

How did the surgery go? Hoping everything went well and you are on the road to recovery.
Mike Wills

Re: Hey Beau

Postby Mrs. T-Bone on Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:02 pm

Ditto...How are you doing? Is there anything we can do for you? If you need some recoup time at the beach just come on down, got the guest room all set up. And I found the all you can eat seafood place in Williamsburg (15 minutes from the Williamsburg games location).
Familiarity breeds consent...
Steph Stewart Fitzsimmons
Mrs. T-Bone

Location: Somewhere between the pool in Sarasota, the York river in Gloucester and the next game field

Postby FrankH on Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:06 pm

+1. Man, that's a deal you shouldn't refuse! And I went to that seafood place-- great. Heal up brother, and let's hear from you!
"...never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never... " --Winston Churchill

"A goal without a plan is just a wish". --Larry Elder
FrankH

Postby miked on Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:22 pm

Sounds like a good plan for after the Williamsburg comp this year.

Beau, let us know what's up, brother.
miked

Postby Beau Fay on Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:32 pm

Hey my friends,

First off, I'm sorry I didn't give you all an update earlier! It's been hard typing with one hand and I've been slacking a bit.

Sure enough, it was a complete rupture of the pec tendon plus some tearing. The procedure went well and I'm all stapled up. I will be in a sling for at least 4 weeks and then through the whole rehab process. We are looking at ~6 months or so to full recovery, according to the doc. Not 100% sure what that means in terms of throwing or regaining full lifting strength... yet. I don't know much more at the moment because my follow-up isn't until 2/4, but I will keep you all posted.

I will really miss throwing with you guys in the near future. I have missed time before due to injury and come back stronger... I will again.

I hope everyone continues to have a productive offseason!

Thanks for all the wishes and the truly kind offers. Steph, thank you so much-- it will be hard for me to get away from my high school throwers anytime soon though!

You all make this sport wonderful and I look forward to returning to the field of honor with my friends! THANKS!

Beau
I kinda like goldfish... live.
Beau Fay

Postby Mike Wills on Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:30 pm

Beaurefunk, I have known several guys who ruptured their pecs. It doesn't seem like something that gives them trouble in the long run. I think that once it is healed, its healed...just like with achilles ruptures, if they are re-attached correctly there generally is never a recurrence. I would say that cutting out max effort benching in the future might be a good preventative measure, along with a very thorough warmup and post workout stretching regimen. Just relax for now, study some video, assess your weak points (when healthy), and develop your plan! My guess is that you will be ready for the big run of games that start the first weekend of September.

Give me a call if you need anything. 304.268.4008
Mike Wills

Postby Beau Fay on Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:50 pm

Thanks Mikey! Good to hear... and indeed, my days of heavy flat benching are over. I will emphasize more speed work, inclines, DBs, and certainly push presses and jerks once healthy. Benching was for 'fun' but I know I can progress with other lifts.

Thanks for the positive words, brother!
Beau Fay

Postby bjketchem on Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:28 pm

Hey Broheim...Thanks for the update. There's is no doubt you will be back at again. Pamper that thing and you will be back, maybe sooner than you think!
Holla if you need anything brother!
I will be the new, improved and almost as good-looking Mike Wills.
bjketchem

Postby Beau Fay on Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:58 pm

Thanks BJ! I know you've been down this road recently with your hamstring. Guys like you are my inspiration for getting through! I hope things are going great with your recovery, my friend. Here's to a big 2008.
Beau Fay

Postby Jeff Storey on Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:08 pm

aye, a big 2008! glad to hear your procedure went well. keep movin in the right direction!
PS, you guys say "brother" more than Hulk Hogan. not that there's anything wrong with that. Brother!
I used to think this kitchen was big, until I saw you guys in here...
-AGM's mom
Jeff Storey

Postby miked on Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:17 pm

Well, my good friend, I am sorry to hear that you will be out for so long. But, I am glad to hear that things should be just fine once you recover.
I am going to miss having you out there. We will have to find time to get together, have a beer, watch some video, discuss the ginourmousnes of Nick Kahanick, wonder why John is so good, etc.
Let me know if there is anything we can do to make your recovery quick and enjoyable. We will definitely have to find time to get together.

miked
miked

Postby bjketchem on Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:28 pm

thanks for the kind words Beau, means alot.

Jeff, that's a good call little brother...keep saying your prayers and taking your vitamins...or are you too young remember that line :lol:
bjketchem

Postby Mike Wills on Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:31 pm

Just keep it all in perspective Beau and you'll be back on the field very soon. This should REALLY help with perspective:

Went to the doctor for a checkup and my official no shoes, flat-footed height is 5' 7-1/2"!
Didn't throw anything until I turned 31 and I'll be 37 this summer.
11 hamstring tears, 1 blown ACL and reconstructive surgery, scopes on both knees, partially ruptured achilles, several minor pec tears, a bulging disk, and tendinitis and minor injuries on every part of my body!
Acid reflux disease, thyroid disease and sleep apnea.

And I will have my best season ever in 2008!!!!!!

Many obstacles can be overcome with time, persistence and a good attitude. I believe that you will be turning pro at the end of the 2009 season....seriously.
Mike Wills

Postby bjketchem on Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:40 pm

Now that's perspective Mike! Now I know why your 82.5% gristle :shock:
bjketchem

Postby Sheaf daddy on Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:48 am

Beau - I am bummed you won't be out here with us throwing. Maybe some coaching and reffing? Anyway - Here is an anecdote for you. Bill Gordon ruptured his bicep at greenlane several years ago. I mean it went thwap-wap-wap like a shade rolling up. He had the surgery - rehabbed - and was back throwing in 9 months. The following year he dominated the sport and did so for another year or so before retiring.
Trish: Colin go get your bike and put it away!

Colin: Okay but someone is going to swoop down, stop, take a picture and sell it on the internet.
Sheaf daddy

Postby FrankH on Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:47 am

Sounds like you have a good plan, Beau. Rest up, rehab good, come out to judge, have a dram or two, get some sun on that fast-balding pate and we'll see you on the field September-ish. :D Take care, son!
"...never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never... " --Winston Churchill

"A goal without a plan is just a wish". --Larry Elder
FrankH

Postby Beau Fay on Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:38 pm

I can't thank you all enough for all the words of support.

Mike, great post about keeping it in perspective. I know you will have your best season to date because you have a plan and have been extraordinarily patient and resilient through some rough times recently. You are even stronger because you weathered it all. And thanks very much for the pro comment... I appreciate the confidence! I hope to win a damn MASA Amateur games first.

Bryan and Francis, thanks for the encouragement! Francis, the hair is hanging in there!

I'd love to have some beers and BS, McDickens!

OK, seriously enough about my injury... all of you go train hard and I will see you when I'm better!!!

Thanks again everyone, you guys are awesome... see you all down the road. Train hard and smart.
Beau Fay

Postby jim on Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:37 am

Damn, I had Beau in my Amateur Highland Games Fantasy League.

Beau - start the rehab as soon as they clear you. Push it hard but sensibly - your body and the fix will be able to take it. It is amazing what docs can do with some thread and staples. You have a long career ahead of you, this is but a minor setback.
I'm not mean, you're just a sissy.
jim

Postby Tim on Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:00 pm

Beau,

Look on the bright side- at least while you are recovering, you can study your ancient history- music of the 70's and 80's. :D

Heal up quickly, Bro.
"I love to sing, and I love to drink Scotch. Most people would rather hear me drink Scotch."- George Burns.

Rock the House
Tim

Postby Beau Fay on Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:32 pm

"Fox on the run, you scream and everybody comes a runnin'....."
Beau Fay

Postby Rich McClain on Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:07 am

Sweet! We had the album, you know, vinyl!
Richard McClain
JUST SHUT UP AND TRAIN!
Rich McClain

Postby Mrs. T-Bone on Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:33 am

Vinyl? I think I remember something about that...white noise, cracks, pops, a scratch or 2 on a favorite. AAHHHH...the good old music, Black Sabbath!
Familiarity breeds consent...
Steph Stewart Fitzsimmons
Mrs. T-Bone

Location: Somewhere between the pool in Sarasota, the York river in Gloucester and the next game field

Postby Sheaf daddy on Sat Feb 02, 2008 2:07 pm

Funny I always thought the lyrics were
"duh duh duh RUN, you uhream and duhuh duh a RUNNIN'....." that is what I always heard Rich sing at least :o :mrgreen: :shock:
Trish: Colin go get your bike and put it away!

Colin: Okay but someone is going to swoop down, stop, take a picture and sell it on the internet.
Sheaf daddy

Postby Rich McClain on Sat Feb 02, 2008 7:50 pm

"... and the kid takes a shot right on the button. He could be down for the count." :cry: ;)
Richard McClain
JUST SHUT UP AND TRAIN!
Rich McClain

Return to General discussion