Ohio Tundra Games

All issues related to the Highland Games, throwing, Scottish events/culture/history, etc., and just generally hanging out with friends

Ohio Tundra Games

Postby Rich McClain on Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:10 pm

Not sure where to post this so here it is.

Soup is on! It is better to eat than it is to throw in.

The Ohio Tundra Games were hosted and won by Clayton Gellatly in his front yard. Roughly a football size field that has seen multiple consecutive days of rain. Temperature was in the low 40's. The weather held out for most of the day except when we started the caber and the wind kicked up. Go figure. Competing in these swampy conditions posed a challenge at times for everyone, but thankfully no one got hurt. Josh Raab ran the show and was assisted by Mary Ann, Brent Barbe's significant other, and Clayton's Brother in-law who marked the throws.

1) Clayton Gellatly
2) Neil Bunt
3) Brent Barbe
4) Steve McCracken
5) Rich McClain
6) Brian Hall (Newbie)

I finished 3rd in the stone (17+#) 28' 10" and 3rd in the WOB 10' which seemed like 11' because of sinking in the mud. Time to hit the training field and get explosive.
Richard McClain
JUST SHUT UP AND TRAIN!
Rich McClain

Re: Ohio Tundra Games

Postby FrankH on Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:01 pm

Hey, Rich-- I hope you had a big old bowl o' chili and a few lagers afterward. No injuries-- that's impressive, under the circumstances. Good job, brother!
"...never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never... " --Winston Churchill

"A goal without a plan is just a wish". --Larry Elder
FrankH

Postby bjketchem on Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:37 pm

Good work Rich...especially inthose conditions.
I will be the new, improved and almost as good-looking Mike Wills.
bjketchem

Postby Rich McClain on Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:51 pm

Thanks, guys. They weren't the best numbers, but considering I have only been lifting and not throwing or drilling I was pleased. It always helps me think about what I need to work on for future games. Not really sore today at all.
Richard McClain
JUST SHUT UP AND TRAIN!
Rich McClain

Postby miked on Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:17 pm

Good job Rich. Those sound like some sweet conditions. You got your first games of '08 under your belt. I am freakin jealous.
Two weeks baby. Two weeks. I hope the weather is better in AZ.
miked

Postby S McCracken on Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:39 pm

It was great day on the muddy tundra. Have a littel bit of a tender Hammy and Knee from my slip in the 28, nothing a little time and stechand time wont heal. Good to see you again Rich, you had a great go with the 56. Maybe next year we can mix in some masters weight for you old guys LOL! :lol:
S McCracken

Postby Rich McClain on Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:06 am

Thanks, Steve. It was good to you again also. There were some great moments like Clayton almost standing the Caber on end and Josh taking the mud splatter to the face. Hope you heal up well. I actually feel pretty good. We may have to do some landscaping for Clayton this summer to reroute some of that water.

See ya soon. I'll be at Beltane.

Old Guys Rule!
Richard McClain
JUST SHUT UP AND TRAIN!
Rich McClain

Postby B Hall on Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:48 pm

Hey Rich
It was nice to meet you at Tundra. I had a lot of fun. Clayton"s caber in the mud was great. The chili was also very tasty. I am also planning on attending Beltane.
Brian Hall
B Hall

Postby Rich McClain on Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:41 pm

Brian, It was great to meet and throw with you. You have exactly what it takes to compete in the Highland Games, your will to listen and have a good time. People like yourself and everyone there is what got me started in the games. Other than family, you will rarely find such a brotherhood of great people. Yeah, trash talking happens, but is usually for fun.

I'll see you at Beltane if not sooner! Maybe we can squeeze in some practices this season.
Richard McClain
JUST SHUT UP AND TRAIN!
Rich McClain

Return to General discussion