Day 1/Cycle 6

Training information, scheduling practice sessions, etc.

Day 1/Cycle 6

Postby Rich McClain on Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:09 pm

I dedicated this day in the gym to John Gall. I thought a lot about him tonight and even at 25 degrees in the garage, I never felt cold. Some things when put in perspective just don't matter.

It has been 8 days since last workout and 17 days since the last day 1 workout. I did compete this past Saturday which I considered a really good workout.

Snatch 95x5, 115x5, 135x2
Snatch hi-pulls 135x5, 155x5, 175x5
Hexbar Jump shrugs 255x5, 275x5, 295x5
Up Right Rows 85x5, 95x5, 105x5
Seated Arnold Press 50'sx3x5
Core Twists w/plate 45x3x5
Core Crushers 185x3x5
Crunches hold 60 sec
Superman hold 45 sec

I have added Rip Fuel to my supplementation during the day at work. This in turn gave me lots of energy during the workout tonight.

Question about flooring. Other posts talked about mats. I have foam workout mats on the cement garage floor that do not offer much protection. Does anyone have any suggestions about building a platform under the mats to prevent chipping the floor under the mats? I was thinking about 1/2" plywood or pressboard up on firring strips. Comments? Suggestions?

Thanks
Richard McClain
JUST SHUT UP AND TRAIN!
Rich McClain

Re: Day 1/Cycle 6

Postby bjketchem on Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:29 pm

Great work Rich! Numbers look like there moving up and your right about putting things in perspective.

I built a platform and it seems to be holding up well.
1. (2) 4x6 pieces of 3/4 plywood. gorilla glued together an d then fasten with screws.
2. Then screwed (6-8) 2x4's along the bottom horizontally.
3. Glued/nailedrubber mats (from Dick's) to the outer edges of the platform.

Here is a video of a lift i did and you get a rough idea of what it looks like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nsp3R_cK_I

Hope this helps brother.
I will be the new, improved and almost as good-looking Mike Wills.
bjketchem

Postby Rich McClain on Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:50 pm

That is what I have in mind only a little lower to the floor. Thanks for the description and video, Brutha.
Richard McClain
JUST SHUT UP AND TRAIN!
Rich McClain

Postby miked on Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:03 am

I have been thinking about adding the same type of "platform" to my basement of pain.

Yeah, so this is week 14 of the '08 OS. I managed to not workout Monday night because I wanted to "recover" from the throws workout on Sunday.

Then, Tuesday, we got caught in the "great freeze" debacle of the mixing bowl and spent 4 hours on the 395 HOV. Total of 6 hours to get home. I felt a little better when I got out of the car and took a whiz on the HOV. Holly did too. :mrgreen: Almost felt like the good ol' days of a 5 minute potty break while GAC'ing in Iraq.

So, tonight I did a light/dynamic pull workout.
Started with a dynamic warm up, then some drills:

Center Pivots - 10x3
Toe Pops - 10x3
glides - 5x4

Then some "Hang" snatches - 135x3x2 sets, 155x3, 155x5x3 sets
Ulf JSs - 115x5x5 sets
Romanian DL Hi Pulls - 25x3x5 sets
Core Crusher - 135 x 15 each way x 2 sets
Med Ball Hmr Winds x 10 each way x 2 sets
97# KB suitcase carry - 3 trips around basement x each hand
Ab wheelies - 50 total

I had a pretty good leg workout last friday the highlight of which was 4 sets of Front Squats with 315 for 5 reps. I was sore pretty much through yesterday. Those FS really hit the quads, yo.

Rich, glad to hear you are getting a camera. Now BJ and I won't be the only narcissists putting video of ourselves on the board. haha :roll:
miked

Ripped McClain

Postby randy on Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:23 pm

Rich, did you ever take the RFuel when it had ephedra? just wonderin how it compares nowadays...used to love that stuff!

rking
STAY HUNGRY!!
randy

Postby Rich McClain on Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:04 am

I use to be in the supplement business in the late nineties. Ephedra was a key component in slim caps we sold. We had board certified doctors that gave us specific instructions about how the Ephedra stimulated the Brown Adipose tissue. In addition to Ephedra there were also other ingredients that helped me focus better on the task at hand. Only problem with Ephedra (natural form) or Ephedrine (synthetic form) was excessive use could burn out the adrenal glands. I am no doctor, this is what they told us. We were instructed to take it 5 days on and 2 days off which I am following for the consumption of the new supplement. I liked Ephedra much better. These capsules have the same herbal burp effect along with gas at times and sometimes gives me the gitters. I will usually eat something if I have the gitters which calms the effects down some. They also include chromium which is said to assist in maintaining normal sugar levels in the blood. This I can vouch for because I do not go through the sugar highs and lows that should be associated with my drinking a can of Mountain Dew in the morning and a can of Pepsi in the afternoon. Since I have started this supplement I have ceased drinking the afternoon Pepsi.

The one big mistake made was by a professional baseball player hopeful that, under 100+ Florida heat, was taking Ephedra in excess trying to control his weight. These two do not mix. With this in mind, I will only be taking supplement for the next three to four months when the temperatures are below 70.
Richard McClain
JUST SHUT UP AND TRAIN!
Rich McClain

Postby Clancelt on Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:53 am

You can still get that over the counter just north of the border aye? At least I think you can. I know some of the good pain meds are OTC there.

Canada is such a pretty place to visit every once in a while. :mrgreen:
I'll spank you smartly with my spank ray.
Clancelt

Rich McClain

Postby randy on Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:07 am

Rich, thanks for the explanation and comparison.

i used to like the "clean" stimulation that it provided...not like caffeine, which often makes me shaky....or sugar--forget about it--makes me spike and crash--can hardly drink regular sodas anymore.

but i didn't use Eph correctly (5 on, 2 off); i took it daily and lowered my tolerance until they didn't have an effect.

case in point: returning from McClain Games in Carlisle '02 ... i was beat but had to be back in clarksburgwv area. took several (6) RFuels on the return trip. glad i'm still alive.

rking
STAY HUNGRY!!
randy

Postby miked on Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:29 pm

:shock:
miked

Postby Rich McClain on Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:25 pm

:shock: +1

Randy, I am familiar with similar trips. I left Havre De Grace, MD to head home to western PA. I saved my energy drink for the trip home not to compete. No problem that day, I just don't recommend it as standard ops. Glad you are still here, too!
Richard McClain
JUST SHUT UP AND TRAIN!
Rich McClain

Return to Training