Training around an injury

Training information, scheduling practice sessions, etc.

Training around an injury

Postby Burke on Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:42 am

Hey guys,

Hope this post finds everyone well.

Some years ago I tore my left quad (the vastus medialis to be specfic). Still having trouble squating and sometimes even leg pressing, and because of it I can't train my legs heavy. Any ideas how to train around such an injury? The docs told me it should heal by it's own, but I am still having issues years later. Any ideas would be great.

Thanks everyone
Gene Burke
"The True Measure of a Man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good".
Burke

Re: Training around an injury

Postby FrankH on Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:26 pm

Hey, Gene--

Can you get any depth at all? Even 1/2 or 1/4 squats would be a big help. Try front squats and Zerchers too; they work the quad a little differently and might cause less pain and eliminate further damage.

Also, can you jump? Plyometrics might help; you just need a good stationary platform 18"-24" high to jump up onto.

You might also try a stationary bike with a lot of resistance, work the stairs or use a stairmaster, and try using bands.

Any of these that work without causing pain should help. And you can supplement your quad work with some calf work like toe raises that should help your overall leg strength.

Speaking of supplements, glutamine might help with the repair.

Just some thoughts-- good luck, brother!
"...never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never... " --Winston Churchill

"A goal without a plan is just a wish". --Larry Elder
FrankH

Postby Burke on Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:38 pm

Hey Frank

Thanks for the feedback. I will give the 1/4 squats in a rack a shot and see how it goes. The problem is that I will be lifting and it seems to be fine and then the quad just gives out very quickly and often with no warning. Good advice to try. I will let you know. :D

All the best
Gene B
"The True Measure of a Man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good".
Burke

Postby scotbybirth on Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:00 pm

Hey Gene. Sorry that you are still having problems with that quad... My left knee still reminds of who is boss from time to time (which has encouraged the right one to voice it's opinion as well). PM me and let's see if we can't get you going again.
"All men with honor are kings, but not all kings have honor... Honor is a man's gift to himself." -Liam Neeson as Rob Roy MacGregor.

-Chris Kenyon
scotbybirth

Return to Training