gettin fired up

Training information, scheduling practice sessions, etc.

gettin fired up

Postby randy on Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:32 am

Hey folks
Thanks to the board stats I see that it's been almost a year since my last visit!
I'm really sorry I missed the thread about shot/stone...dang I think that's the event I like to discuss/study the most!
Gonna toss in my 2 cents right quick then I'll leave it where y'all left it...
A few years ago, Ryan Vierra blew my freakin mind in a clinic when he said that the put is a pull. (That and his hammer widom, which is a different matter). And that was after doing like 5 yrs of HG (never threw before these dang Scotsmen introduced me to real fun and challenge!)
Blew my freakin mind. But then stuff started clickin...my stone study became stone/shot study, and soon became only shot study and practice. I don't even have a stone anymore.
...Pause...I know way more than I can DO...I just haven't taken the time to teach my body...hehehe
And following a theme on the previous discussion of the physical analogy/weapon of war, I submit for your consideration the whip. Big, slow power (relatively) down low getting faster at mid-level, and then a snap at the end like Clint Eastwood in High Plains Drifter.
I think I may have just repeated someone in that thread. Someone also mentioned a "punch" at the top...I saw a dude at the Radford game years ago use a rediculously fast "punch" and I tried it...keeping everything else the same...just "punched" at the end. PR on Dave Strunk's 17# stone. (And I know it's generally not a good idea to change tech at a games, but I guess I got lucky)
2 more cents...sorry I'm rambling, I wouldn't be offended if you already got bored and stopped reading this.
I also found a way to connect the shot put to weightlifting...I'm pretty sure the move from power pos to release is a 180deg rotational DB push press with a back-to-front force component. Hard to do with a DB, but partials seem to feel good.
Oh, and something in particular that I haven't yet taught my body to do is capitalizing on forward motion thru box/circle. I typically add about 10-20% to a standing throw with any pre-power pos footwork...dunno what it should add, but I feel like l lose power somehow. I think I focus too much on pulling the implement thru that motion to the power pos instead of on forward momentum. Hmm...more to ponder.
And I haven't PR'd in stone since '04 so it's time I quit thinkin so darn much and start chuckin.
Just registered for my annual game...B'port...hope there's still room...lookin forward to seein y'all!
Randy King
STAY HUNGRY!!
randy

Return to Training