Weight Training for Beginning Thrower

Training information, scheduling practice sessions, etc.

Weight Training for Beginning Thrower

Postby ChrisM on Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:14 am

Hello all, my name is Chris Milligan I just became interested in throwing after seeing some of you compete at the Southern Maryland Celtic Festival this past weekend (April 24th, 2010).

Anyway, I am hoping to compete in June and was wondering what types of weight training I should focus on to go along with learning the proper techniques for each event. Right now I mainly do arms, chest, shoulder, and cardio. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
ChrisM

Re: Weight Training for Beginning Thrower

Postby Mike Wills on Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:28 am

The weight training for a thrower - or any competitive strength athlete - is probably the opposite of what you are currently doing. It is all about legs, core, and posterior chain (calves, hamstrings, glutes, low back, mid, back, traps). Squats, deadlifts, cleans, snatches, high pulls, etc. are the tools that a thrower uses.
Mike Wills

Postby B_Stax on Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:35 am

The best thing to do is hook up with another group of throwers at least a few times before your first comp. We are pretty well spread out in the MD, VA, WV, and PA areas. The best thing about this sport is that there is never a shortage of helpful veterans willing to welcome and instruct us newbies...
Bryan Stymacks
B_Stax

Postby ChrisM on Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:59 am

Yeah, it looks like I've got some work to do...thanks for the tips, I'm super anxious to get started!
ChrisM

Postby Gunny on Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:22 pm

Chris, didn't see in your post where your from. If you post that, we may be able to hook you up with one of the throwing groups.
Semper Fidelis

James (Gunny) Justice
Gunny

Postby randy on Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:53 pm

Explosions, dude!

All those lifts that Mike Wills mentioned (he knows a thing or two about strength so you can take it to the bank)...

Since you're lookin to start competing soon, you might wanna focus on the explosive lifts he mentioned: snatches & cleans (the Olympic Lifts), and high pulls like a sonofagun!

And since we're in season, throw stuff!!

Good luck and good training!
STAY HUNGRY!!
randy

Return to Training