Changes in the gym

Training information, scheduling practice sessions, etc.

Changes in the gym

Postby FrankH on Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:33 pm

Over the past few weeks, I really started to dread going to the gym. Normally, I look forward to it. But I think that the aches and pains of a dozen or so competitions, dozens of practices and dozens of workouts (not to mention getting older :roll: ) started to take the joy out of lifting. I needed to try something different.

Well, not very different, but different. I decided to back off the heavy (for me) weights and increase the reps so that lifting wasn't literally a pain. What a difference-- lots less pain, and I'm getting some of the old enthusiasm back. I don't know how it will pan out on the field, but I'm starting to feel a little better and will hopefully heal up, which seems like a good thing. And although I'm lifting a bit (not much) lighter, the extra reps result in lifting more total weight.

For example, I was benching (I know, benching stoopid :ugeek: ) 8 reps of 205, 6 reps of 225 and 4 reps of 245 for 18 lifts totaling 3970 lbs. Now I do 8 at 205, 7 at 205 and 6 at 205 for 21 lifts totaling 4305. I do something like this for all my lifts across the board-- backing off the weight a bit and adding in reps. I know about the "go big or go home" mentality, but this, I hope, will work out a little better for me.

What are thoughts on doing this? I have heard that you build strength through reps, and size through lifting heavy. Will this significantly impact my strength? Not that I have much choice; I'm banged up and probably couldn't continue lifting heavy anyway. Thanks.
"...never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never... " --Winston Churchill

"A goal without a plan is just a wish". --Larry Elder
FrankH

Re: Changes in the gym

Postby TheHammer on Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:07 pm

Just my 2 cents, but i have found that dropping weight and increasing reps really doesn't work any differently than increased weights and fewer reps, unless i'm drastically dropping the weight and increasing the reps. For example, not a huge difference to go from squatting 15x225 to squatting 20x185. Where i do notice the difference is going from 15x225 to 30x135. At that point it is an endurance event, but any changes up to that point i don't really notice a difference. I think the important thing is to keep the intensity up regardless of your weight/reps combination that you are doing. And no comment on the benching... sometimes you just gotta do it :)
Try not. Do or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

David Marble
The new sheaf gnome
and board lurker extraordinaire
TheHammer

Return to Training