The Journey Back...

Training information, scheduling practice sessions, etc.

The Journey Back...

Postby bjketchem on Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:25 pm

if it ain't one thing it's another...Missed nearly two weeks of work and managed to lose 15 pounds...I gave carefull thought to slimming down to a lightweight and realized I like food way too much...

First real workout since January 29th (one workout with dickens in there, but I served more as a cheerleader than a lifitng partner :roll:

Dynamic Warm up and Javorek complex

High Pulls Snatch Grip: 240x5x2
Push Press: 185x5x2
Deadlift off 4.5"box: 315x3, 365x3, 385x2, 400x5
Incline Bench with a bounce pad: 185x4x3
I will be the new, improved and almost as good-looking Mike Wills.
bjketchem

Re: The Journey Back...

Postby Jeff Storey on Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:49 am

nice liftin yo.

had my first real workout after 2 forced "backoff" weeks.

Warmup, yada yada
Main lifts:
DB bench, 55x5 60x5,5,5 55x5 (weeak)
push jerk 135x5 165x3 155x3,3 165x3 155x3,3
curl grip bent rows, 135x5 155x5 180x5 175x5 155x5

Just for fun assistance
Power curls 135x5,5
EZ curls, 85x5,5
DB snatch 70x2per hand, 2 sets

Notes: find a spotter and go heavier in the bench next time, do some kind of light "leg work" lunges maybe? I worked on "dragging the bar up the legs" and keeping it close.
oh, just DON'T rack yourself with the bar while trying to clean 165. it WILL interrupt your workout for at least a half-hour.
I used to think this kitchen was big, until I saw you guys in here...
-AGM's mom
Jeff Storey

Postby bjketchem on Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:31 pm

gracias Jeff.
why the hiatus brother?

my 2 cents... I WOULD definitely add single leg work. It's imparative, especially when you consider how much time you spend on just one leg. Step ups at varying heights, stationary lunges,walking lunges, reverse lunges...the list goes on...but i would certainly add them in your workouts...just remember, if both feet are on the ground at the same time, you probrably aren't going anywhere.
bjketchem

Postby Jeff Storey on Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:21 am

well, from what I can tell, I was overtraining before I started this "cycle". and I just started feeling bad/weak. my knee started acting up, my calf was sore. I fixed these 2 things with the rest and some stretching. Also, I don't sleep enough, and school + life was/is stessful right now.

yeah, the way this program works, you hit the upper body HARD on Mon, then the whole body as one piece HARD on Wed, the squat HARD on Friday.
you do the big money lifts, get all the reps with as much weight as possible, then do whatever assistance work u want/can. I was just too tired/sore to do much else by Friday, so I'm gonna sneak in a little bit of light one-legged stuff on Monday.

PS, I think part of the reason my knee pain went away when I started throwing disc is the rotational stuff on one leg all the time strengthened everything in there.
when I throw disc now, not only am I ticked cause I suck worse than ever, but I get sore in weird little places, like a little line down my shin.
do you want to get together on a concrete circle some time? I think I have some ideas about what's wrong, but I'm stuck on how to fix it.
-AGM's mom
Jeff Storey

Postby Jeff Storey on Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:00 am

oh, and I didn't take 2 whole weeks off, I just did upper body stuff and played with the elliptical and the kettlebells instead of squatting or Oly lifting
-AGM's mom
Jeff Storey

Postby FrankH on Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:10 am

I'd definitely be up for some discus throwing. I'm thinking about going to the Master's meet in Spokane this year, and would like to get in a couple local meets and maybe 8-10 practice sessions.
"...never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never... " --Winston Churchill

"A goal without a plan is just a wish". --Larry Elder
FrankH

Postby bjketchem on Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:27 pm

Got after it a bit this week.
Tuesday, got 280 on the behind the neck jerk. Felt fast going up and pretty good, until I lowered it to my back and it slipped off my back and I thought it was going to go through the platform..and just about scared the bajeebies out of my in-laws in the house :shock: .
Thursday, got 400x2 on the deadlift, which is a post rehab pr and did those reverse cleans/power curls for the first time. Kinda fun to do, got 245x3. Think I might throw them in once a week.

I hope everyone's training is going well! POnly a couple weeks until the clinic!
bjketchem

Postby Rich McClain on Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:50 pm

Awesome job, BJ my brother! I may have to have you guys show me those lifts during clinic time.

I am attempting to sit in my chair and not jump out of my skin. I have been planning places to throw in my neighborhood. I also have a newbie at work that lives on a farm about 30 minutes away. I've been talking to him about needing some where to throw and he volunteered. He also has a setup that I can use for sheaf. He is no thrower at 6' 1" 155 lbs, but may be I can work with him to add some muscle and become one.

Oh yeah, did I mention it has rained all day. I may have to go out there in the rain and mud to throw anyways.
Richard McClain
JUST SHUT UP AND TRAIN!
Rich McClain

Postby bjketchem on Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:02 am

Thanks Rich! I am more than happy to help in whatever way I can.
Great to hear you may have a spot to throw...I have been tryign to talk my nephew into trying the HG. He goes to The Rock and if you don't mind, If i can get him out, I was going to hook him up with you to throw. BUT I got more work to do on him...
bjketchem

Postby Rich McClain on Sat Mar 15, 2008 5:05 pm

I'm up for it if your brother is. I have been talking with Brent Barbe and Andrew Callan both from Pittsburgh area, about getting together to throw. It will be difficult with everything going on in our lives, but at least we are talking about practicing. We are all going to carpool to the clinic which will be cool!

Today at work we did lots of lifting of work benches and I really hurt my right elbow. This is one of those injuries that will never go away unless I go under the knife. Damn Ulnar Nerve. :x
Richard McClain
JUST SHUT UP AND TRAIN!
Rich McClain

Return to Training