REAL STRENGTH TRAINING

Training information, scheduling practice sessions, etc.

REAL STRENGTH TRAINING

Postby trsmithson on Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:47 pm

OK guys and girls, our gym is open! serious conditioning and weight lifting! holding sessions at most times of the day if your interested in starting your off season training right please contact me so we can all get stronger together!!!!this is a warehouse gym where we can get stronger, better, and faster! this is a gym that has loud music serious people and dirty floors, we are here to play but work harder than we can anywhere else, so that when the next day comes where we stand shoulder to shoulder on that field we will know we are bringing our best and when its done no matter what we can walk away knowing that! contact me so we can get started! -i placed 2nd in my first games ever with no highland training at all simply because of my workout, seriously come check this out!
trsmithson

Re: REAL STRENGTH TRAINING

Postby Burke on Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:05 am

where is the gym located?
"The True Measure of a Man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good".
Burke

Postby trsmithson on Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:50 am

just south of richmond in chesterfield by Johnston Willis hospital
trsmithson

Postby Burke on Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:28 pm

What are the hours and address?

Thanks
"The True Measure of a Man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good".
Burke

Postby trsmithson on Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:07 am

the gym runs in sessions, tonight at 7pm if you want come and check it out, its on me. Check us out at realworldstrengthgym.com or call jamie at 804.720-4566
trsmithson

Postby chirolifter on Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:13 pm

"-i placed 2nd in my first games ever with no highland training at all simply because of my workout, seriously come check this out!" Pretty profound statement... From my experience, which is more then you have been living, training workouts are about 40% of this sport... THROWING is the other 60%.
No disrespect but your workouts are just glorified crossfit....
Gene Flynn
Strive for Perfection, Settle for Excellence !!!
chirolifter

Postby trsmithson on Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:39 am

Glorified crossfit? just come out, try it. you can tell me how you feel after. and your right i dont know much about this, but if your right then i did really well with that other 60% dont you think? my "40%" was probably more like 80%. its simply if you dont have the muscle to use then all you have is technique and your personal bests will be limited, but if you want them to increase, lose the attitude and come check us out. -trevor
trsmithson

Postby B_Stax on Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:11 am

You definitely have more horsepower than I do, but I'm about 400% positive there isn't much you're going to teach Gene about strength training. I've checked the page out and it looks like a good workout, but your post comes off all wrong. It sounds like you are using your accomplisments in a "B" competition to pitch memberships to your gym. I believe you are trying to help others, and want to train hard like you say, just may want to work on the delivery is all.
Bryan Stymacks
B_Stax

Postby TheHammer on Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:31 am

Gene is a pro for a reason, he knows what he is talking about, both on the field and in the gym.
Try not. Do or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

David Marble
The new sheaf gnome
and board lurker extraordinaire
TheHammer

Postby chirolifter on Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:46 am

Trevor, I know Zach and Matt, so I know what your doing. I think your putting the cart before the horse. You need to build absolute strength FIRST, then work on functionality!!! What good is being functional when your weak??? What is your squat? your clean? your strict press?
I am just reacting to the errogance or ignorance of your post and website saying they are the best, or this workout is best or cutting edge. I got news for you, this stuff has been around longer then you think!
I know Matt, and he is the real deal! If you can do the stuff he can then you may get some respect here, but dont come on here trying to sell memberships for your gym saying you have what it takes!!! Besides, it was second, and the guy who beat you trains with me!
chirolifter

Postby trsmithson on Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:02 pm

BRO! First stop taking offense! I never said I have the best workout, I said I have a great one and no I havent been doing this forever, but I am certified and those I work with have other great certifications. I train oldschool aswell, and p.s. my squat is; 585, bench 340, clean 225, leg press 1,300. And the gentleman who won was great! Infact, I have been working on an 8 month workout that I have been researching for almost a year, and still I continue to research. I research so that I know what ALOT of people are doing. Again lose the attitude, understand that im not selling memberships its not that kind of gym, I just want those who are looking for a great workout to come check it out on me. It's that simple, im not saying im better than you, again damn why are you taking offense? My statement was written to incourage not enrage, it was "lets workout together get stronger together and be the best we can on the field', it was not "hey come workout with me cause noone else knows what they're doing"... can you see that yet? Stop taking offense, calm down for a minute and go enjoy working with matt, and whomever else, im sure they are great! Ill do my best next time not to sound so "arrogant" or "ignorrant", never meant to offend or disrupt the status of this forum.
trsmithson

Postby chirolifter on Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:50 pm

Ok im starting to get the picture now... It sounds like your sincere. I just get tired of people being mis-informed by the majority of said "trainers" who dont know there ass from a whole in the ground. I just wanted to weed through the BS. So welcome to the board and would be happy to share training ideas with you! I'm always willing to learn new stuff and im always researching!!! Find what works for YOU and share it- it may not work for everyone, but at least it is something to try... You will find workouts here as well as a training log forum on NASGA.
chirolifter

Postby trsmithson on Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:44 pm

im so glad you understand, im not one of these kids straight out of college with 17 different certifications and not a day worth of experience, i train everyday other than sunday! and what works for me im trying to pass on but im always listening! seriously on the field in Richmond, the only reason i did aswell as i did was that i shut my mouth and listened to everyone elses advice aswell i watched every athlete before me and studied what they did wheather it was a success or failure, but it didnt hurt that i trained for 6 months before. I would love to train with some of you who have been doing this for years! and would love to learn your tricks and techniques, but i also know a thing or two and think it would be great to do some give and take, thats all. and please to all of you who have given this thread your ten cents, understand that i am not arrogant i am not the MTV generation (though i may be part of it) i am an asshole, i am honest, and i will always give the respect where it is owed. wish you all the best and i guess ill see you in march.
-trevor
trsmithson

Postby miked on Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:10 pm

max effort leg press training is one of my primary focuses this offseason.
miked

Postby chirolifter on Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:34 am

Trevor, how about posting your workouts here?
chirolifter

Postby trsmithson on Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:48 pm

today back day,
Deadlift, Bar/10, 135/10, 225/4, 315/4, 405/4, 495/2, 585/2
Pull-ups MAX X3
Cable Rows 130/10 single arm 5 per arm 190/10 230/6 230/6
Off set weight olympic bar oblique crunches (bar on shoulders like a squat, weight only on one side im currently using a 45. drop the weighted side in a controlled motion till you cant go farther or your hips and ribs touch. keep your hips straight the whole time, then left the wighted side till the opposite side ribs and hips touch.) 3 sets 10 reps per side.
Standing Russian twists, olympic bar with 45lb. 3 sets 10 reps
Lat pulldowns wide 100/10 180/10 220/4 220/4
Lat pulldowns close 180/10 200/8 220/6
Cable one arm reverse flies, 40lb 3 sets 10 reps
DB bent over reverse flies 25lb 3 sets 10 reps
DB bent over rows 90lb 3 sets max effort
Arnold curls 35/10 45/10 55/8
DB curls 45/8 45/6 45/6
Waterfalls! DB curls Max effort per weight! 35/10 30/10 25/10 20/10 15/10 the reps of ten are simply a goal, i cant do it yet.

anyway thats my back workout today!i will take suggestions or comments happily
trsmithson

Postby chirolifter on Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:31 pm

Man thats alot of volume? How old are you? I like the side crunch with the bar wtd. on one side, ill have to try them. The russian twists are good too. I do a variation of both called core crushers, Ryan V. showed me these. weighted bar on back like a rear squat then rotate hips, hold back upper body then twist. In throwing the most important thing is to be able to seperate your hips from your upper body!
Good stuff
Try your curls with a 2-3" bar, it best mimics the caber
chirolifter

Postby trsmithson on Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:32 pm

no straps or gloves, wraps are ok but prefferably only on the knee and only if you need it due to a prior injury, your hands should be your mits, not to mention wraps and gloves can take away grip strength and thats one thing i pride myself on.
trsmithson

Postby trsmithson on Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:35 pm

see thats an issue i have been having for awhile, i dont make all that much money, so i have to use what others have or what i buy, as of now i have my own: boxing equipment, 50ft battle rope, 100lb sand bags (cause i go threw em fast) 2X700lb tires, 1X500lb tire, 1 weight sled. and whatever i can find in the gyms i work at, i would love a wide bar! or just use of a wide bar! but for now i have limited access. im 25
trsmithson

Postby trsmithson on Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:38 pm

yeah i have been doing a similar exercise with a 55lb DB i hold it out about a foot from my chest and rotate my upper torso works nice ill try with the bar though sounds good!
trsmithson

Return to Training