Training advice for PA newbie?

Training information, scheduling practice sessions, etc.

Training advice for PA newbie?

Postby GuinnessStrong on Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:25 pm

Hi, all! I'm hoping to do my first Highland Games in June. I'm not the biggest guy (barely 5'7" and a whopping 187#) but I'm hoping with some help I can see success at the Celtic Fling. Right now I'm trying to pack on the pounds with traditional lifts, but I'm hoping to transition into a strength/power phase in mid Jan / early Feb. I've already picked up a few things from the guys at NASGA and GLSAA but if you have any advice about vital exercises or methods I'd love to hear it. Also, if you're in central Pennsylvania I'd be grateful if we could get together and throw sometime. I'm located and train in State College, PA. Any and all advice is welcome! Thanks!

Matt
GuinnessStrong

Re: Training advice for PA newbie?

Postby jason on Sat Jan 01, 2011 4:51 pm

Hi Matt,
I'm located about an hour east of Pittsburgh and work as a strength and conditioning coach and athletic trainer, if you have any specific questions about training I'd be happy to help the best I can as far as lifts and such as well as any technique things I could help with. If you're intersted in getting together to practice sometime I could make the trip up your way or meet half way if you're interested. Drop me a line on the board or email at JEDSALL@gmail.com I look forward to catching up with you.
Jason
jason

Postby Clan SlyPorkers on Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:28 pm

Matt, I've only got you by 3/4", and, to my wife's dismay 16lbs. Nevertheless, I've competed at a low of 184lbs and am entering my 8th (holy crap) season, so it can be done. I began with 0 throwing experince and 0 previous competitive sports experince. I just enjoyed bodybuilding style training and have some nautural athletic ability. Once I started, I moved to the heavier compound lifts and practiced to build myself up and that's it. The only other thing is find some pros and watch their vid's on you tube.
Clan SlyPorkers

Postby bjketchem on Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:23 am

sounds like another LW guy :shock: ...Alex? Alex?

Matt, if getting bigger doesn't matter to you, than putting on size will help you throw far (as long as technique/athleticism aren't compromised). But, if you dont want to get bigger, you can certainly be competitive and stay "smaller." But the truth is, you compete to better your own numbers, that will matter the most (and technique is the key to throwing far). Best of luck!
BJ
I will be the new, improved and almost as good-looking Mike Wills.
bjketchem

Postby GuinnessStrong on Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:37 pm

Thanks for the responses, everyone.

Jason, thanks for the offer to help! I'd definitely be up for getting together to practice once the weather gets a little more agreeable. I work just outside the Penn State campus as a personal trainer and am familiar with a lot of the weight training techniques people have referred me to, but I could definitely use anything and everything you could provide me with about training for throwing and the events themselves. I've got three weeks to go on my hypertrophy program but I'll be in touch about where to go from there with my strength/power program. I decided to make this the year I start doing Highland Games because my knee is finally back to 100% after a MCL injury during a gym weightlifting competition over in Ireland in 09. My biggest concentration needs to be getting my lower body back to where it was before that.

Very cool to hear, Clan! I'm glad someone out there who's done what I'm doing now responded. One of the first people I talked to about this told me that some of the implements may weigh as much as me (little exaggerated but I can see his point) and I have to admit I was slightly intimidated. This first one is definitely going to be the hardest to work toward because I only know what to expect through other people.

I'd prefer to pack on the weight actually, BJ. I spent years trying to stay light and quick for sports (wrestling/martial arts and pole vaulting) but I think I've capped my strength potential at this weight. I used to think I was a "hardgainer" but my fiance (who's beginning a dietetic internship soon) has helped me expose that I've just been a lazy eater. I did get up to 192 through hard training and a 4750 cal/day diet... then a stomach flu this past week drug me down to 181. My real motivation behind putting on the weight is the endurance aspect of HG. I don't want to be the guy dropping stuff by the end of the day out of fatigue, and bigger guys move stuff with less required effort (more m, less a required for same f). Not that I won't be putting my all into every approach haha. Technique is really going to be my focus from ~March on.
GuinnessStrong

Postby CelticElf66 on Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:15 pm

bjketchem wrote:sounds like another LW guy :shock: ...Alex? Alex?

Oh BJ, will you never learn?

A
Alexandra Duncan

"Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going." - Jim Ryun

Live simply, Love generously, Care deeply, Speak kindly.
CelticElf66

Postby TheHammer on Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:01 pm

No he won't Alex... it just keeps going over his head. :D
Try not. Do or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

David Marble
The new sheaf gnome
and board lurker extraordinaire
TheHammer

Postby miked on Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:19 pm

guess i better stop the diet. :?
miked

Postby CelticElf66 on Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:31 pm

TheHammer wrote:No he won't Alex... it just keeps going over his head. :D

I am not doing height classes either.

Mike - You might want to check with Holly for her thoughts on that first. :D
Alexandra Duncan

"Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going." - Jim Ryun

Live simply, Love generously, Care deeply, Speak kindly.
CelticElf66

Postby TheHammer on Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:36 pm

AMurray wrote:I am not doing height classes either.

lol!
Try not. Do or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

David Marble
The new sheaf gnome
and board lurker extraordinaire
TheHammer

Postby bjketchem on Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:55 pm

Alex you know you love the idea of adding a lightweight class to 1 game this year
bjketchem

Postby GuinnessStrong on Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:10 pm

Glad to say I'd need to cut weight at this point to make an under 190 :D ... not that I wouldn't if the class came to PA or at least within driving distance. I've heard rumors of one out in Ohio but never any details.
GuinnessStrong

Postby bjketchem on Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:42 pm

I too have heard these rumors...Rich McClain....and details on these rumors?????
bjketchem

Postby Rich McClain on Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:42 pm

The GLSAA is gaining Light Weights from Ohio and Indiana. I can see the class added to a game or two not including any backyard games. I'll keep you posted.
Richard McClain
JUST SHUT UP AND TRAIN!
Rich McClain

Postby bjketchem on Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:06 am

On behalf of all us little guys, thanks!

how's your OS going?
bjketchem

Postby Rich McClain on Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:25 am

Nonexistant. I just started lifting this week after months of inactivity. I'm working through some life issues but hope to be back on track soon. I'll be throwing at the Ohio Tundra games and Chili cook-off the end of February. It is always a good time.
Richard McClain
JUST SHUT UP AND TRAIN!
Rich McClain

Postby bjketchem on Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:57 pm

better late than never! I hope things are on the up for you Rich!
bjketchem

Postby GuinnessStrong on Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:56 pm

Well I'm doing a Strongman down near a few of you guys at the end of March so I figured I'd throw the details up in here in case anyone else was interested. The novice class looks do-able for me @ ~198 and the organizer said it's more for fun than anything so if you've never had a go at events like this (which I haven't) it could be a great time. Let me know if this would be better posted somewhere else...

CAPITAL CLASSIC STRONGMAN CHALLENGE
DATE: Saturday, March, 26th - 11:10am start

Email:TheEdge2.0@live.com
ENTRY DEADLINE:$40.00 Post marked no later than March 12, 2011 - $10 late fee after deadline

RULES: 10:45 am
START TIME: 11:10 am
EARLY WEIGH-IN: Friday March 25th at 5:00 pm-8:00 pm at The Edge 2.0 (Crossfit Reston)
LATE WEIGH-IN: Saturday March 26th between 9:00am – 10:30am at The Edge 2.0
HOTEL INFO: To follow
ENTRY FEE $ 40.00 NON REFUNDABLE

First annual strongman competition brought to you by The Edge 2.0 and Crossfit Reston - Home of the only strongman training facility in DC metro area.

Divisions: HW, LW, Women’s, Novice

Events:
1) Log (Slater Log) press for reps Clean and Press - HW 260, LW 220, Novice 190, Women's -Circus dumbell 60 lbs
2) Conan’s Wheel - HW 650, LW 550, Novice 400, Women's 300
3) Frame Carry - HW 650, LW 500, Novice 375, women's farmers walk 160
4) Car Deadlift - HW, LW, Novice - mini cooper, women's 500lbs tire on rig
5) Tire flip/chain drag - HW 1000lbs/450 chain, LW 700/450, Novice 500/chain, women's 400/ 300sled
6) Stones - 52" Platform, HW 255, 280, 300, 330, 350, LW 216, 225, 255, 280, 300, Novice 175,200, 216, 225, 255, Women's 100, 120, 150, 180, 200

BONUS STONE #6 - HW 407, LW 350, Novice 300, Women's 225 (to 47" platform)

There may be a LW and HW women's waiting on head count.
Limit 10 competitors each division, there will be prizes and hardware for top 3 in eachdivision. Bonus stone will have up to a $50 prize
This is a non NAS sanctioned event ENTRY FEE IS $40

Form @ http://www.scribd.com/doc/49294231/Strongman-1
GuinnessStrong

Return to Training