Throwing

Training information, scheduling practice sessions, etc.

Throwing

Postby FrankH on Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:17 pm

The weather is getting warmer, and an old man's thoughts naturally turn to throwing stuff. Coach McClain/Mighty VMC, Beau, Dickens/Ketch, Charles-- anyone throwing yet? I'd like to get started; if you guys are throwing, let me know.

Thanks.
"...never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never... " --Winston Churchill

"A goal without a plan is just a wish". --Larry Elder
FrankH

Re: Throwing

Postby TheHammer on Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:39 pm

Not just the old men Frank.... Just waiting for it to still be light when i get home... and for the yard to dry out from our yesterdays torrential rains.
Try not. Do or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

David Marble
The new sheaf gnome
and board lurker extraordinaire
TheHammer

Postby miked on Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:56 pm

not yet. soon . . .
miked

Postby BROOSTER54 on Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:35 pm

What's up guys! I am ready to start throwing on Saturdays. Looking forward to breaking some PRs this year in Amaetur B :D .
TERRY CUNNINGHAM
BROOSTER54

Postby BrianB on Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:13 am

Hey, it's not that warm, Frank, but really glad to hear you're going to be back out throwing.

I probably won't be able to make it to a Saturday until the first weekend in April, but really looking forward to it.

Now BJ just needs to lean on the powers-that-be to get us a LW class in at least one game this year. . .

Brian Baggetta
BrianB

Postby FrankH on Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:10 pm

Please post dates and times for practice; I really want to get going with some easy, half-speed throws so I don't get too rusty.

I'd also be happy to provide some coaching to anyone who's interested, just let me know.

Thanks.
"...never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never... " --Winston Churchill

FrankH

Postby BrianB on Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:03 pm

Frank -- I assume the field is pretty soaked from yesterday's rain -- how about next Sunday (the 20th)? Usually I would like to practice on Saturdays, but can't make Saturday next week.

Brian Baggetta
BrianB

Postby BrianB on Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:39 pm

Was in the area a little while ago, so stopped to check on the field. Little soft and wet, but not too bad. Looks like a lot of the brush and stuff around the edges has been cleared out, although it may be that most of that stuff is just dead for the winter. In other words, it looks like once it dries out, it's about ready for throwing!
BrianB

Postby FrankH on Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:00 pm

We definitely need a field day to get the field ready for throwing. I'm not sure how many folks we can get out there; we have had upwards of 10-12 in the past. Anyone up for a couple hours of work, followed by a little practice next weekend or the weekend after? It's in Vienna, VA at a secret location. If you can work, we'll PM directions if you need them.

Speaking of the field, I'm not sure if we'll have a 3rd Annual Cabers N' Fireworks Backyard Games this year or not. Anyone interested? July 4th weekend.

FrankH

Postby BrianB on Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:04 pm

I can make it out Sunday for sure. Saturday is possible, but less good.

Of course I'm interested in the 4th of July -- I could get some LW marks!
BrianB

Postby TheHammer on Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:41 am

I'm interested in cabers n fireworks
Try not. Do or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

David Marble
The new sheaf gnome
and board lurker extraordinaire
TheHammer

Postby Largemilk on Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:05 pm

I sure do want to get some throwing in this weekend to have some idea how much I'm gonna get my ass handed to me in San Antonio in a few weeks. Sunday would be best. Anyone been to the old VMC field to see what shape it's in?
" A hammer a day keeps the chiropractor in pay"
Largemilk

Postby FrankH on Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:08 am

Per Brian above, it was soggy when he was there but with recent weather it ought to be OK this weekend unless there is rain in the forecast; I haven't checked.

The usual drill is that a bunch of us hit the field with rakes, saws, tampers, etc. and square it away. Shouldn't take too long if we get several guys out there; maybe an hour or two at most.

Sunday looks like the best day so far.

Any other Cabers n Fireworks interest?

FrankH

Postby BrianB on Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:38 pm

Fingers crossed, it does not look like there is any rain in the forecast until Monday.

The field actually looks pretty good -- no major limbs or brush that should take a long time to deal with. I'm in for Sunday -- Frank, what say you on time? Not *too* early, please. . .
BrianB

Postby FrankH on Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:17 pm

10am work for everyone? No problem if you roll in a little late, just don't come so late that you miss the fun!

Whoever's coming, please bring a couple yard implements with you.

As for throwing implements, I have a lwfd and a 16# hammer. Bryan McClain has a stone, I think. Maybe we ought to meet at Bryan's house, toss a little sheaf and WOB then head to the field, spiff it for 45 minutes or so then toss a little more. I say this not having spoken to Bryan!

Coach?

FrankH

Postby BrianB on Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:40 pm

I should be able to make it to Casa McClain by 10-1030. Howevah, being a city dweller, I don't own any yard implements. Assuming I was going to pick up a yard implement, what would be most useful/what do other people not have already?
BrianB

Postby Sheaf daddy on Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:19 pm

Hey fellers - we throwing Sunday? I am good with that! Did a lot of yard work today and am fried. Let's do this!

I would like to fire up wednesdays with sheaf, WOB, and drills too!
Trish: Colin go get your bike and put it away!

Colin: Okay but someone is going to swoop down, stop, take a picture and sell it on the internet.
Sheaf daddy

Postby miked on Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:59 pm

I won't be able to make it Sunday. :evil: Too much going on already.

But, good to see the VMC stirring and rising from hibernation.

@ Charles, you're going to San Antonio, too? Sweet. Clan Dickens is having a bonfire at my brother's house in Fredericksburg, saturday night. I need to double check with him, but, consider yourself invited.
miked

Postby Largemilk on Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:50 am

@ Miked... That's awesome! Send me a pm with details. Sounds like fun.

At the VMC... I'll be there for around 10am. I don't gots no yard equipment either, just hands. Be great to see everyone who can make it out!
Largemilk

Postby BrianB on Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:32 pm

I'll be there tomorrow morning, and am definitely interested in firing up wednesdays too. Bryan/Frank -- let me know if it would be useful for me to pick up any particular item @ home depot on my way over.
BrianB

Postby FrankH on Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:00 pm

Can't make it Wednesday; overdid things yesterday. Maybe this weekend, tho.

FrankH

Postby BrianB on Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:34 pm

I am hopeful for Wednesday, but not optimistic, work-wise. Plus weather.com says it is supposed to rain. Hoping for better next Wednesday, god knows I need the work. . .
BrianB

Postby Largemilk on Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:03 pm

Sorry kids, can't make it this evening. Worky work. And, I thought my traps were gonna bleed they were so sore Monday...good times!!

Hopefully the weather cooperates this weekend...it'll be my last opportunity to practice before heading to the land of BBQ Brisket!
Largemilk

Postby BrianB on Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:24 pm

I don't think I am going to be able to make it out today. Ominous start, but I am hopeful that next Wednesday can kick off the 2011 midweek throwing season in earnest. . .
BrianB

Postby BrianB on Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:46 am

In addition to being cold and supposedly rainy, today isn't looking great from a getting-out-of-work standpoint either. Are people planning to get out Saturday?
BrianB

Return to Training