Outdoor weights?

Training information, scheduling practice sessions, etc.

Outdoor weights?

Postby T-Rex on Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:28 pm

Hi everyone,

Quick question, does anyone here keep their weights & bars outside? I don't have a garage and no basement and hate going to the local gym to wait for weights and machines. I am thinking of getting olympic weights, building a little platform and training outside in my backyard. I would appreciate any thoughts on this if any of you have done this, and if so do you treat the weights with anything to keep them from rusting too bad.....

Thanks
Gene B
Richmond
T-Rex

Re: Outdoor weights?

Postby FrankH on Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:43 pm

Hey, Gene-- I hope you're doing well and having a good off-season. Take a look about 12-15 posts down about the 300 pound rubber (coated) weights for $219.

Hope to see you soon-- Frank (Come up for the St. Paddy's Day walk this weekend!)
"...never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never... " --Winston Churchill

"A goal without a plan is just a wish". --Larry Elder
FrankH

Postby T-Rex on Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:03 pm

Hey Frank !!

Thanks !!!

I will check out the post. I can't make the walk this weekend - but thanks.....

I hope to see ya soon at a game or two this year......

gene
T-Rex

Postby agm on Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:42 pm

I train outside. I have the rubber-coated weights in that other thread - they're fine outdoors. You may want to bring the bar inside with you, to keep it from rusting. Or, just accept that it's a cheap piece of crap bar, let it get rusty, clean it every once in a while, and if it gets really bad get a new one. Not all bars will rust easily - I have a trap bar that's been out there for almost a year and looks great.

If you can handle the cold temperatures (which I can normally, but I've been having trouble with my lungs after a bout of the flu last month), and you don't mind missing an occasional workout because of the rain (light snow's OK; ice really sucks), lifting outside is awesome. I won't go back.
agm
Site Admin

Postby Jeff Storey on Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:47 pm

hey man, I do sometimes,
if the paint's pretty good on the plates, they should be fine. if not, a couple cans of cheap spray paint from the hardware store (self priming) will hold up fine.
they also have rubberized paint that u brush on if you want to get fancy.

you're the serious Oly lifter right? I would take your bar inside.
my bar's a 6 year old Dick's that I got free, and already a little rusty, so it stays out when I'm short on time. and it turns as good now as it ever did, which is badly.

besides, real men lift outside and don't lay down to train. ;)
I used to think this kitchen was big, until I saw you guys in here...
-AGM's mom
Jeff Storey

Postby FrankH on Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:08 am

Not that the ol' T-Rex isn't a hoss, but I think you're thinking of Gene Flynn, who does Masters Oly lifting.

So Jeff-- are you up for some discus throwing? I got a nice shiny new (but cheap) 1.5k one and a rubber 2k practice disc. And a pair of throwing shoes. Lemme know, I'm ready to try 'em out!
"...never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never... " --Winston Churchill

"A goal without a plan is just a wish". --Larry Elder
FrankH

Postby Jeff Storey on Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:10 pm

yeah man, anytime! let me know when u have time, maybe sunday? I just talked to Jeremy via facebook. we should seriously invade a few T&F meets this year. they won't know what hit them. :lol:
I used to think this kitchen was big, until I saw you guys in here...
-AGM's mom
Jeff Storey

Return to Training