Weights revisited

Training information, scheduling practice sessions, etc.

Weights revisited

Postby Gunny on Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:15 pm

Weight sets
I know this was addressed before, but can't find the thread.
I need to buy a weight set with 400+ lbs, or piece together one.
Anyone still planning a trip to YORK anytime soon or is there a place in Southern MD / DC area that has good prices on a decent set?
Delivery is out, as it's just too expensive, and I'm not interested in wasting money on a garbage weight set.
Searched Dick's Sporting goods, and they don't show weight set's on their web page, just individual weights and bars. Do they carry complete sets?

Thanks.
Gunny
Semper Fidelis

James (Gunny) Justice
Gunny

Re: Weights revisited

Postby Stephen Malutich on Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:37 pm

Join a gym IMO

Home has alot of distractions that can cuz u to cut a workout or even worse skip one, but gym rates are pretty reasonable

Trainin at home can be good as well since I used to do so...Go to your local highschool see if they want to sell any of their old stuff...also try old gyms and so forth...but if you must buy retail I would suggest a Play It Again Sports or something like that...used weights are the way to go
Stephen Malutich

Postby Mike Wills on Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:28 pm

Malutich is right...weight is weight. I would love to have a full Eleiko set, but until I hit the lottery, that isn't going to happen. High schools can be a gold mine if you know someone there and know the timing of their clearances. Also ask around at gyms to check when they are getting rid of old stuff, sometimes they have old plates and bars in the back storage room. Play it again will usually have what you need...cheap.

I like training at home better than the gym. Put the kids to bed and head to the basement. It beats the spandex jungle.
Mike Wills

Postby bjketchem on Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:29 pm

+2 to Mike...home gym is much better than "spandex jungle", plus you don't have to wait for some tool bag who is using the squat rack for curls...

you can also check out http://www.craigslist.org for weights, people are always trying to get ride of them.
I will be the new, improved and almost as good-looking Mike Wills.
bjketchem

Postby Stephen Malutich on Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:59 am

lol shame on both of you for being judgemental of gym goers.....we wear kilts when we throw which im sure looks silly to people who dont know what its all about...
Stephen Malutich

Postby Clancelt on Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:18 am

Ha! Weights? who needs'em! Just train the way Chuck does:

You'll be throwing farther and looking better in 7 days!
Last edited by Clancelt on Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'll spank you smartly with my spank ray.
Clancelt

weight is weight and training hard is training hard

Postby randy on Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:41 pm

...wherever you do it. i agree about the gym rats who bogart the SQUAT rack for CURLS...unless they're cheat-curlin 225+.
(not me). Davis Power?

but if you get that workout in and gave EVERYTHING you had to give, then hey, you win.

here's one i don't get...the stigma of exact symmetry on the bar...there are people who won't use different-style plates on opposite ends...i'm pretty sure that if it says "45lbs," then it's 45 pounds. (unless there's a huge chunk missin.) if the bar is unbalanced enough to notice, then the lifter can just skooch over to the center of gravity (how far would that reasonably be?) or having the plates facing a certain way bothers some people. i just don't get it. just pick it up!

"spandex jungle"...hahahahaha that's funny! don't think i've heard that one.

rking
STAY HUNGRY!!
randy

Re: weight is weight and training hard is training hard

Postby Rich McClain on Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:32 pm

randy wrote:here's one i don't get...the stigma of exact symmetry on the bar...there are people who won't use different-style plates on opposite ends...i'm pretty sure that if it says "45lbs," then it's 45 pounds. (unless there's a huge chunk missin.) if the bar is unbalanced enough to notice, then the lifter can just skooch over to the center of gravity (how far would that reasonably be?) or having the plates facing a certain way bothers some people. i just don't get it. just pick it up!

My first set of 300 lbs has a 45 lb plate that was not cut right. I took it in to work and it weighs about 9 1/2 lbs heavier. When I use it I have to toss a 10# on the other side. So as I bump up each side with tens, I never have the same plates on each side. I use to be concerned with like you said, "plates facing a certain way", but now I just don't have time.
Richard McClain
JUST SHUT UP AND TRAIN!
Rich McClain

Return to Training