Home Gym

Training information, scheduling practice sessions, etc.

Home Gym

Postby TheHammer on Sat May 14, 2011 5:01 pm

I am thinking that i may need to set up a home gym in the next few months due to a possible job change (keeping my fingers crossed) and i'm not going to have a ton of money to spend. I have already prioritized my equipment needs. First things first i'm going to need a decent bar and a pile of 45's, then i figure i will get an adjustable bench and a squat rack. Once i get those three things i will be good for a while. Any ideas where i can pick these up without spending a fortune?
Try not. Do or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

David Marble
The new sheaf gnome
and board lurker extraordinaire
TheHammer

Re: Home Gym

Postby Rich McClain on Sat May 14, 2011 6:44 pm

Craig's list and existing gyms. Gyms sometimes get rid of equipment and weights. I picked up a couple of dumbbells with loose handles. A buddy found a guy that was moving to the West Coast and had to dump all his stuff for real cheep.
Richard McClain
JUST SHUT UP AND TRAIN!
Rich McClain

Postby B Hall on Sat May 14, 2011 10:12 pm

I have bought most of my stuff from craigslist. Power rack, weights, and dumbbells.
Brian Hall
B Hall

Postby TheHammer on Wed May 18, 2011 12:26 pm

Thanks for the info, i have been lurking on Craigslist and Ebay, as well as poking around on the web where i came upon this...
http://www.ironcompany.com/york1260lbis ... -1260.aspx
not a bad deal if you have some cash to spend.... especially when you consider that includes shipping.

David Marble
The new sheaf gnome
TheHammer

Postby Sheaf daddy on Thu May 19, 2011 6:29 am

Another place to look for plates is your local gym like a gold's gym for when they swap out their plates for new ones. They do it periodically for safety reasons (insurance makes them) an you can pick up a crap load for 25 cents on the pound instead of 55 cents a pound.
Trish: Colin go get your bike and put it away!

Colin: Okay but someone is going to swoop down, stop, take a picture and sell it on the internet.
Sheaf daddy

Postby TheHammer on Thu May 19, 2011 7:28 am

Sweet, Thanks 'll check on that.

David Marble
The new sheaf gnome
TheHammer

Postby robert monroe on Thu May 19, 2011 1:50 pm

dave,i just got a stone mold.its an 18" mold and will weigh 240lbs when poured.i am making my 1st stone this weekend and was able to buy "lightening ball"to make 2 more of different weights.as soon as i am done making them i would be willing 2 make you 1 and give it to you at a games later this season(just pay me for the materials). also a great thing i did was make a few homwmade sand bags.went to an army surplus store,got 3 waterproof bags,bought 7 bags of pea gravel and contractors trash bags. put i peagravel bag in a contractor bag & tape it off then put it in a waterproof bag,tape it off and presto-u have a 50lb sandbag...put 2 peagravel bags together like before...100lber and do same for the others and voila-150lbs.the cool thing is they cost me about 58.00.i bought a legit sand bag that would hold 80lbs and paid almost double that after s/h and buying sand...lol.hope that will help with a li variety for your workout...also,if your into chain training-buy em at a hardware store...
rob
trry harder and you will suck less
robert monroe

Postby TheHammer on Thu May 19, 2011 2:15 pm

Thanks for the offer, but I'm set for strong man equipment, just need a bar and lots of 45's now lol.

David Marble
The new sheaf gnome
TheHammer

Return to Training