Hammer Training

Training information, scheduling practice sessions, etc.

Hammer Training

Postby Burke on Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:31 pm

I do not have access to a scottish hammer for training. Would anyone have any suggestions on what to use, or how to train for this event without the hammer itself? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
"The True Measure of a Man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good".
Burke

Re: Hammer Training

Postby Crush on Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:40 pm

1. Save up and get a hammer or two!
2. Until you can get one, go get 3/4 or 1" PVC from Home depot. Fill a coffee can with concrete, stick the PVC in the can to the bottom and make sure some concrete is inside the base of the PVC and let it harden. Now you have something to do winds with.
Ephesians 3:20
"Now unto him that is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think,
according to the power that worketh in us..."
Crush

Postby agm on Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:24 am

An easier option for a hammer you can do winds with - get some 1" PVC with a flared end, and slide some 5lb plates onto it (and if you can find smaller plates, to be more accurate with the weight, even better). Overall length should be 50". Get some tacky - the spray stuff they make for baseball is OK, but Brock's Magic Tacky is the good stuff ( http://www.brockthrow.com/documents/products.html ). Practice winds without a release - your "hammer" won't hold up. Keep your arms long, loose and straight. Use your hips to move the hammer. And watch lots of video.
agm
Site Admin

Postby Burke on Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:39 pm

Thank you both, I appreciate the feedback and ideas. I think I will try the PVC route using the 5 lb weights first and see how that goes.

Thanks again
Gene
"The True Measure of a Man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good".
Burke

Return to Training