Bar load question

Training information, scheduling practice sessions, etc.

Bar load question

Postby Burke on Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:36 pm

Would anyone know what the max load weight capacity for a 6' standard bar would be? I have heard up to 300 lbs but wanted to see if anyone knows or heard anything different.

Thanks for any feedback.
"The True Measure of a Man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good".
Burke

Re: Bar load question

Postby Rich McClain on Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:49 pm

http://www.livestrong.com/article/218178-standard-barbell-weight-limit/ See the section on training bar. According to article, 250# but other articles vary or have no listing for max limit.
Richard McClain
JUST SHUT UP AND TRAIN!
Rich McClain

Postby Burke on Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:01 am

Hey Rich,

Thanks for the quick feedback. Looks like I had some poor information about what these bars can hold, good to know.

Thanks again
Gene
"The True Measure of a Man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good".
Burke

Postby grgreer on Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:34 pm

I wold imagine that it would depend on what the manufacturer tells you, if you have that information. I bought a cheap olympic set, and was told that if I wanted more than 405 on it, I should buy another bar. (I bought a York, 1500lb capacity bar) There is also a difference with the actual Olympic bars that are supposed to flex a bit and have a different temper. Weight capacities differ due to the manufacturing process.
This probably did not help much. :oops:
grgreer

Postby Burke on Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:12 pm

It did help, thanks - I appreciate the feedback !!!
Burke

Return to Training