Off season training for motivation and other malarkey!

Training information, scheduling practice sessions, etc.

Re: Off season training for motivation and other malarkey!

Postby kiltedhitman.4 on Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:53 pm

Two in one day....OH THE MAYHEM!! I didn't workout twice, just got around to logging them today. Today was a much better training session. Focused on some accessory work and didn't have near as many people there as last night :D ! Lets make this quick.

1) Stretching
2) Chins/ Hanging Rows/ Banded Scarecrows
4/10/10 x 4
3) Hammer Curls
10x10
20x10
30x10
40x10
50x10
60x10
4) Concentration Curls
25x8x4
5) Dumbell Pec Flyes/ Press
25x10/10 x 4
6) Low Back Hyperextensions on Ball
10x5
7) Overhead Lateral Dumbell Raises
30x10
40x10
50x10

Song of the Day: Buried Alive- Alter Bridge

Got going with this one and couldn't stop. Had a awesome level of motivation going and didn't want to waste it. Got to the health foods store and got some much needed herbs and natural supplements. The guy that runs the place is a Rastafarian and has a great sense of humor :lol: . He always calls me "Big Guy" with his accent and it cracks me up. He makes some awesome all natural smoothies and lets people in the store test them. It is a tiny little place but you could spend hours looking at all the stuff that fills the shelves. Well, I need to get some sleep, looks like I am going to work tonight! Hope you all have a good night and thanks for reading. Promise to be more interesting the next time around.

"Continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential."
-Winston Churchill
Neal Collins
kiltedhitman.4

Postby kiltedhitman.4 on Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:31 pm

HOLY SH@T!! How do we go from 6 inches of snow to 80 degrees in 5 days? This is getting insane :o ! Just for the crowds information, I prefer the cold. Looks like I am going to be working tonight, so I squeezed in a workout before I have to lay down a get some sleep. Nothing special AT ALL! Decided that Sunday I am going to get some sushi and have a good old squat day to celebrate my birthday (which is Monday, the 27th.) Last year I did sled work for my birthday. It was a good workout, but I was left gasping for breath on the pavement. So, this year I will be enjoying my pain with weight on my back or front or cradled in my arms...haven't really decided yet :shock: !!

1) Stretching/ Foam Rolling
2) Dumbell Bench
20x10
50x10
100x10x2
3) Skull Crushers
25x10
45x10x3
4) Tricep Pushdowns
80x10
120x10
180x10x2

I told you it was nothing special. I can't sleep at all after a heavy compound movement workout and trust me...I need my sleep for my job!

Song of the Day: Time Bomb- Dave Matthews Band

I drive a 99 Buick Park Avenue. Don't really care whet people think, 34 miles to the gallon and paid off is enough for me!! It also keeps the cops off my ass :lol: !! Had a gentleman (I will use that, because ASSBAG is a little harsh) driving a jacked up Chevrolet tailgate me for about 4 miles at 60 mph. I got to a stop light and he decided to rev his engine and honk his horn. Maybe he was mistaking me for an elderly individual that would slide off the side of the road and let him past. He blared on the horn and something about the last honk got to me. I came out of that car like I was a Marine DI on the first day of boot camp! :roll: I guess the veins were busting out on the side of my head and I calmly asked the college age Hampden-Sydney student
( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hampden%E2%80%93Sydney_College) What was wrong with his horn and how I could help him fix it? He was at a loss for words, so I suggested it was operator error and I could fix that easily if he did not want to adjust it his damn self!! He then replied with "Yes sir!" That surprised me more than anything, at 29, do I really deserve the title Sir? I was satisfied and went back to my car. The truck was never closer than 5 car lengths for the nest 4 miles until he turned off. This is what happens when anger and rage is not released in small doses. Someone catches the proverbial "Shit storm". I know, some of you are thinking.." He could of had a gun or hit you with his truck." Not that I think I am invisible by any means, but I was meek and mild for far too long and it has taken its toll on me. I just need to find a better way of releasing it. Hope you enjoyed the story and thanks for reading! Guess what, now we have a tornado watch and it is storming its tail off.

" He who angers you conquers you." -------> That is so true!!
~Elizabeth Kenny
kiltedhitman.4

Postby kiltedhitman.4 on Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:05 am

Managed to work my way into the gym a few days ago, then work called me and I wasn't able to log anything. This will be a quick one.

1) Stretching
2) 15 Minutes@ 3.5 and 15 degrees
Then their was a long wait while I watched the clown using the half rack do off balance "hop squats" with 135. Then I decided to use the dumbells and stop wasting my time.
3) Dumbell Curls (I love doing the pyramid and watching people laugh when I start off with 10 or 15 lbs!)
15x10
30x10
45x10
60x10
75x10
90x10
75x8
60x8
45x8
30x8
15x8
The guy moved and I got down to work!
4) Overhead Press (Tried a narrower grip and relied more on my lats.)
45x10
90x6
135x6x2
225x5x2 (Belt and wraps)
245x1 (Bombed on the second one.) (Sleeves)
5) Chins
3x5
6) Cable Flyes
50x10
90x10x2
50x10x2
7) Concentration Curls
30x10x4

Song of the Day: Dragonfly- By: Shaman's Harvest

No huge stories to tell. Just worked, all day after this workout. Sorry, didn't mean to let it pop and fizzle like that!

"Obstacles are things a person sees when he takes his eyes off his goal" -Unknown
Neal Collins
kiltedhitman.4

Postby kiltedhitman.4 on Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:34 am

Time to make up for the last post, or lack thereof! Monday, Feb, 27th was my birthday. I was called to work at 4am and didn't get off until 10pm :shock: ! In that time, I did about 10 minutes worth of work. OH THE JOY! It was a beautiful day and I enjoyed being on the river as much as I could. (Our mainline runs alongside the James river from its headwaters in Eagle Rock all the way to Richmond. It provides a nice view.) Managed to get to the bar and have an adult beverage with some friends and got some good food. Since then, I managed to crack my tooth and was sent home from work :( on Feb. 29th. I also have managed to get some more tattoo work done for a gift to myself :lol: . To the workout.

1) Stretching
2) Front Squat
45x10
135x8x2
225x5x3
275x4x3
3) Overhead dumbell tricep extension
40x10
90x10x3
4) EZ Bar Curls
25x10
45x10
65x10
115x10
5) Exercise Ball Low Back Hyperextension
10x5

Song of the Day: This Can't be Good- Blake Shelton

I managed to squeeze this one in between the grunters and the cross dresser that does nothing but legs. The atmosphere at this place is like a circus. Two days ago, they had a potluck lunch. Not in one of the rooms :shock: !! No, they had the tables set up on the "fitness floor" and had people walking throughout the free weights carrying plates of food. It smelled delicious and I am sure that it was, but I was pissed!! I get yelled at for making a noise that resembles heavy breathing and then you have people come in with artery clogging fatty foods to eat. These same people are also enrolled in the cardio monitoring program that has been set-up between the local hospital and the YMCA. Sort of counter productive, don't you think?? Let them have there cake and eat it too! Thanks for reading and hope everyone else is having a good week and is getting amped about the new Highland Games season that is set to start here shortly!

"First we make our habits, then our habits make us." - Charles C Noble
Neal Collins
kiltedhitman.4

Postby kiltedhitman.4 on Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:34 pm

Got up to my chiropractor today. I commute an hour and half just to see my chiropractor.....he is so worth it!! Got there today and he had a family emergency. His fill-in was a petite woman that I remember he was training a few months ago. I thought, "What in the hell is this woman going to do for me?" :roll: I quickly found out. She was like a chiropractic ninja. All stealth and no wasted energy! She was awesome!! When she aligned my lumbar, I had to give the woman a high-five! (I almost hugged her!!) I went ahead and extended my drive to the house that I just moved out of, to check the mailbox. Good thing I did, because my copy of Diesel Power was there and God knows what would've happened if I didn't get that!!! :shock: Also, the house is back up for sale....problems and all!!! From experience, don't ever use Long and Foster Real Estate. Now to the training.

1) Stretching
2) Stiff-legged Deads
135x6x2
225x6x3
315x4x4
3) Narrow Stance Push-ups
4) Scarecrows
Heavy Band x10x4
5) Lateral Raises
35x10
55x10
65x10x3

Song of the Day: Not a damn thing worth listening too!!

I can't seem to get psyched about training. All of my movements are sucking and it isn't clicking like it needs to be around this time of year. Going to try to start off next week with a new attitude and stop trying to change my past and work on the future! Time to suck it up and get that hardcore S@$! out of hibernation. :lol: You will be the first to know how it goes. I am going to take a shower and read my magazine. Thanks for reading and enjoy your weekend!!

"The battle, sir, is not to the strong alone; it is to the vigilant, the active, the brave..."
--Patrick Henry--
Neal Collins
kiltedhitman.4

Postby kiltedhitman.4 on Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:04 pm

Just go from work. Let me layout my schedule for the last 30+ hours. Running errands all day yesterday until 7pm when my amily got into town for a late birthday celebration dinner, then went to my friends tattoo shop and hung out there. Let me remind you, i didn't think I would be called for work. The phone rings at 1130pm for a 130am train. DAMN!! Got me again. Down a ton of B12, Monster and hit the road. I got off of work today at 3pm and have not been to sleep since yesterday morning!! That being said, pardon my errors and screw-ups in this post :roll: .

1) Stretching
2) Clean and Press HELL (No leg drive)
45x6
65X6
85X6
105X6
125X6
145X6
165X6
185X6 (Belt and Wraps)
225X5
245X3
3) Chins
3x5
4) Standing Skull Crushers
80x10x4

Song of the Day: Seven Mary Three - Cumbersome

I can't even see straight right now, so I am going to cut this short and will finish on my next post. Thanks for viewing

"My sons! *sigh* My sons, If you are to become true ninja you must work harder. Your path in life will not be an easy one. The outside world will not be a friendly place for you."
- Master Splinter (You know you love it!)
Neal Collins
kiltedhitman.4

Postby kiltedhitman.4 on Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:12 pm

Another day, another training post forgotten in the haze! I had time to hit the gym, get a haircut and then I was called for work. I got home at 3am and died a quick death into the covers! I do believe that my back, chest and shoulders are getting bigger. I can no longer reach across my body to scratch my side/back. :shock: So, something positive is coming from all this time in the gym. The thing is, I never doubt my time in the gym. I never see at as "wasted" I learn something new every day. As Henry Rollins was quoted, "The Iron never lies to you. You can walk outside and listen to all kinds of talk, get told that you’re a god or a total bastard. The Iron will always kick you the real deal." Time to get kicked some "Real Deal"!

1) Stretching
2) Tricep pushdowns
80x10x2
160x10
210x10
2) Bench Press ( I am not a huge follower of the BP Gods. I don't believe in it, but it does need to be "reckoned with" from time to time)
45x10x2 (Couldn't get my back as tight as I wanted, but went ahead and focused on bar movement/speed and keeping tight)
95x8
135x6x3
225x4x4
315x3x5 (Wrist wraps on)
3) Chins
3x5
4) Close grip Lat Pulldown
100x10
210x10x3
5) EZ Bar Curls
25x10
45x10
95x10x3
6) Hanging Leg Raises (Really surprised how much this hits my lats) :roll:
10x5

Song of the Day : Sevendust- Unraveling

As soon as I get off of here, I will be heading back to the gym. Some low back work and shoulder stabilization and strengthening. ( Have to take care of those shoulders if I want to get a 16 ft. WOB!!! :roll: :lol: :o ) Probably looking at being called out for work in a few hours. We are going into a curfew next week ( They close the track from 6am-6pm to replace it over a set distance) So, they are running 35 trains from 4am this morning through midnight tomorrow. That is an insane amount on track that has maybe 70% of that on a regular basis.) I don't plan on seeing my my pillow for a LONG-LONG TIME!! I will fill you in when I get a chance. Have a great weekend and hope everybody is ready for St. Patty's day next weekend! I took some leave and will be heading into the mountains. And as always, thanks for reading :D !

And now, a quoted from one of my favorite movies...Open Range

Charley (Kevin Costner): You the one killed our friend?
Butler (Kim Coates): That's right. I shot the boy, too. And I enjoyed it.
[Charley pulls out his gun and shoots Butler]
Neal Collins
kiltedhitman.4

Postby kiltedhitman.4 on Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:05 pm

The weather is gorgeous outside, which has led me to get bronchitis! ;) Got to the doctor today and was running a 100+ fever (didn't even feel week or hot, but I was coughing my head off!) Luckily, I got in a good upper back workout in. I plan on getting a early morning training session in tomorrow. My workouts are pretty awesome when I am sick with a respiratory illness. :shock: I generally end up gagging and puking...but the sickness goes away faster. I iwll leave that for tomorrows post.

1) Stretching
2) Hang Cleans
45x6x2
95x5x3
135x5x2
185x5x3
3) Lat Pull Downs
100x10
200x10x3
4) Heavy Band Scarecrows
10x5
5) Chin-ups
3x5
6) Clean and Press
135x6x5

Song of the Day: Sick Puppies- Riptide

Went out a dinner date with a girl that I recently met. Little did I know that it would lead me through a damn MINE FIELD that was laid by my ex!! :shock: I get back from great dinner that we both enjoyed and just got to laugh a lot. I drove the hour home and went to bed. I was then awoken by a text at 3am. It was my ex asking "Who is ............?" I should of went with my initial thought of "none of your damn business!" But I explained how we met and what we did. I then received the fires of hell upon my ass!! We have been broken up for a few months and this is my first date. She then called me a liar, a cheat and said that she always knew that she was right about me cheating on her when I went out of town for work (I guess trust was not her strong suit!). I was blown away, then she told me to lose her number and she was done with me! I just stopped typing and went back to sleep. I will swear on my grandfathers grave that I did none of the things she accused me of. That being said, I was getting chewed out by a woman/girl that was dating another guy by the 2nd week after we were apart! I call hypocrite and jealous!! :o :shock: Now that I have vented about my personal life (like I always do!) I can relax. Funny thing is, I have a lot of my friends coming up to me and hugging me and telling me that I deserve better, and they know nothing about this story. Guess there is a plan for me somewhere! Hope all are having a good week. Have a good night/day and thanks for reading!!

One joy scatters a hundred griefs.
- Chinese Proverb
Neal Collins
kiltedhitman.4

Postby kiltedhitman.4 on Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:51 pm

Good rainy evening to all that are reading! Thank God that it rained and knocked down some of this pollen so that I can take a full breath without choking. I got home at 2pm and tried to get some sleep since I have been up since 1am and was pretty exhausted. That didn't work, so when 7pm rolled around, i was up putting on my gym clothes as the rain fell. Got up to the gym and was surprised to see the crowd that was still there. Managed to get one of the crap racks and began to do my warmup.

1) Stretching
2) Clean and Press (Strict-no hip drive)
45x6x2
95x6x2
135x4x2 (Wraps)
185x3x2 ( Sleeves)
225x3 (Belt)
245x1x2
3) Lateral Front Raises
45x6x4
4) Tricep Pushdowns
60x10
100x10
170x10
5) EZ Bar Curls
25x8
45x8
65x8
115x8
6) Dumbell Overhead Extensions
50x10
80x10
100x10

Song of the Day: The Lady is a Tramp- Frank Sinatra

Going to lay off of the up back for a little while and let it rest. When I get back to it, I plan on hitting a rep and weight PR for the barbell. I don't know why, but I can always overhead press more with a axle than I can with a standard barbell :roll: . Wish the YMCA would get some better bars and stop buying the crap that you find at Wally's Workout Warehouse Emporium and Beauty Salon :o :shock: !!! Now for the story of the beginning of my week. I was called to work on Monday morning at 130am to take a coal train to Newport News. I was called to work with a Engineer that no one trusts. The saying goes " Can I meet you at 2am in a dense fog and feel like I won't die?!" You never will with this man!! He thinks he knows every rule and has been suspended more times than almost any other employee in Richmond. I was on duty until 130 pm Monday and then I got called out of the hotel for a return train with the same individual. He would not shut up and to top it off, Richmond was in a deep fog from 2am until almost 930am. On more than one occasion I was left questioning if I should pull the emergency lever that was in front of me as my but cheeks were tearing a hole in the seat!! I can't tell you how happy I was to get on the radio with the Yardmaster and announce our arrival time!! If I ever work with him again, It will be too soon!! That being said, thanks for reading and hope you had a awesome St. Patrick's Day!! I had a squat workout the day prior, but I forgot to post it and I can't remember it now!! (Thank you alcohol, for that one!!)

"The only thing that ever consoles man for the stupid things he does is the praise he always gives himself for doing them."
-Oscar Wilde
Neal Collins
kiltedhitman.4

Postby TheHammer on Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:03 am

You ready to start throwing? Saturdays at my place... will be throwing in the back yard until we get the lot cleared out.
Try not. Do or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

David Marble
The new sheaf gnome
and board lurker extraordinaire
TheHammer

Postby kiltedhitman.4 on Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:41 am

I will try to make it, Dave. I have reached the point that I don't make promises anymore due to work. I am ready to throw though!! Just keep me informed on times and things like that and I will let you know.
Neal Collins
kiltedhitman.4

Postby kiltedhitman.4 on Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:50 pm

Slacking on my posts. Not much to speak of in the way of training. I have been shortening my time in the gym and moving over to throwing at the end of at least 2 training sessions a week. Working on the double spin for the lwfd and hwfd and have even fooled around with the windmill :shock: ! Did get some time in today. Was doing some light hang cleans along with some other shoulder movements. Moved it outside to throw and launched some lwfd on the mud from yesterdays rain. Borrowed the roller measuring stick from the YMCA and found that I threw a 63 ft. single spin. Was feeling good and windmill'd a few. Didn't measure, want to work on my form some more before I get numbers for comparison.

1) Stretching
2) Hang Clean (Taped wrist and thumb)
45x5
90x5
135x5x2
185x5
225x3x2 (I pressed the last rep for 5)
3) Banded Shoulder External Rotation
10x4
4) Barbell Lateral Overhead Raises
20x8
40x8
60x8x2
5) 25 MINS OF THROWING

Song of the Day: Red Fang- Wires

While doing my hang cleans, I was aware of the "aesthetically pleasing" college age gentleman and his rather attractive girlfriend watching me perform my movements and then attempt overhead pressing with the guy doing the coaching. I noticed at the end of every movement they were putting the weight down and the guy was rubbing his shoulder like it hurt. Knowing from my ignorant past (some will argue that it is still ignorant) I could see that their grips were too wide and even more importantly he was coaching her to keep her elbows out like she was flying and he was doing the same. I thought about laughing and waiting for the inevitable destruction of a shoulder :o ! I have attempted to help to many people, just to be snapped at and told off. Airing on the side of being a dumbass, I approached. I was careful to not be an ego driven jerk and told them that I could see that it was causing them some pain. The guy looked at me and to my surprise asked if I could help. We went through some movements with just the bar and got the form down. He noticed a difference immediately and was able to do more weight :D . I was overly excited and got a kick out of my information actually helping someone. This all plays into my New Year's goal of trying to help whoever I can in the gym. Good start, for it being MID-MARCH :shock: !! Hope everyone is having a good week and is getting ready for the season!! Thanks for reading!!

In my dreams I hear again the crash of guns, the rattle of musketry, the strange, mournful mutter of the battlefield.
-Douglas MacArthur
Neal Collins
kiltedhitman.4

Postby kiltedhitman.4 on Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:27 pm

I guess while I am sitting around doing nothing, I will post a workout. I have still been focusing on my throws and have had several training sessions that are not worth posting. Today I decided to start working on managing my diet and supplementation like I do my training. Got all my supplements in early this morning and ate a good breakfast. The day just got better from there. Got in a visit to the chiropractor and then headed off to the gym. Since I am working at Clifton Forge this week, I get to train at Elite in Roanoke. My only problem with this place is the groups of wannabe bodybuilders that congregate around the equipment and talk for 30 minutes at a time. I don't have time for this crap and it really pisses me off. Enough of that, time to train.

1) Stretching & Foam Rolling
2) Box Squats
45x8
95x6x2
135x4x3
225x3x3
315x3
405x3
495x2x2
520x1x4 ( This felt ridiculously strong and easy and I haven't squatted this heavy in months due to back pain.)
3) Chin-ups
3x5
4) Dynamic Overhead Press
135x10x5
5) Landmine Caber Lifts
180x10x3

Song of the Day: Black Label Society- Fire it Up

Not much going on, other than work. I hit 82 hours of work time several more hours in a hotel in 6 days and was mandated by the FRA (Federal Railroad Administration) to take 48 hours off. I really don't know what to do with myself when this happens. I enjoy my time off, but it isn't like I had anything planned. So, I am going to the dentist tomorrow to break up the boredom. :shock: I am getting really anxious for Southern Maryland. Can't wait to throw and see what I am hitting on this early in the season. Not going to lie, I always felt like my games came together at Meadow/ Richmond, I just wish the weather was more cooperative when my throws were going up! I am going to hit the bed early and get another session in sometime in the morning. Thanks for reading. Thanks for getting it over 2000 views and I hope to see you on the field!
Neal Collins
kiltedhitman.4

Previous

Return to Training