The long climb back...

Training information, scheduling practice sessions, etc.

The long climb back...

Postby grgreer on Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:59 pm

I don't know if I can be as perseverant as Marble or Dickens, but I thought I would give this off season workout thread a try. I may update once a week.
I was released from the Dr on Nov 1. I began a slow workout regimen to avoid soreness. Two to Three days a week for 4 weeks, full body workout, VERY light weights, 2 to 3 sets per body part, 15 to 25 reps. Some low impact cardio on the elliptical. This week I broke off into my old format of chest/tris-M/H, back/bis-T/F, legs/shoulders-W. I started some slow jogging (10 minutes) on the treadmill as tolerated. I have been doing relatively light weight for high reps (20). My initial goal is to bring back the endurance that 9 months of not being able to lift has taken away. I will worry about weight in late January to February.
My goal is to be competing on the field next year, whenever that happens.
grgreer

Re: The long climb back...

Postby Rich McClain on Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:51 pm

Good Luck Gordon with your recovery. Slow and steady to get up to speed is a good way to approach it. You'll be back to form in no time.
Richard McClain
JUST SHUT UP AND TRAIN!
Rich McClain

Postby miked on Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:55 pm

Like Marble said, slow and steady wins the race. It looks like you already have that approach well in hand.

Hang in there and we will see you at SoMD!
miked

Postby grgreer on Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:39 pm

Again, I never said that I would be diligent. The winter cold and cough made their way through the Greer household and slowed things down a bit. Still working on endurance. Bench up to 335+, but still trying not to push the pace. Still working on reps. Nothing exciting by any means. Took a couple weeks off due to holiday travel and sickness, so still working on endurance, slowly strengthening lower body. low impact cardio on elliptical, and not hurting anything. Happy New year to all.
Gordon
grgreer

Postby TheHammer on Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:39 pm

Just keep at it as you can... inch by inch
Try not. Do or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

David Marble
The new sheaf gnome
and board lurker extraordinaire
TheHammer

Postby Rich McClain on Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:28 pm

Slow and steady wins the race.
Richard McClain
JUST SHUT UP AND TRAIN!
Rich McClain

Postby grgreer on Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:35 pm

Lifting is going good. 3x a week minimum. I am taking my son to Gold's with me. He is 14, 5'11" and about 210. Strong, but no technique. Struggles with technique. I have backed off on all of his weights and focus on getting his form better. He also favors his right side. He is helping me with my patience. :)
My weights and endurance are coming back. Bench is up to 365x5. Leg strength is good. I keep myself to moderate weight and do 15 reps per set. The biggest thing is my endurance is slowly coming. I am able to do all of the exercises in my workouts (usually 300 reps (give or take) when you add up all of the sets) I really need to stretch more. The back feels good. It gets tired, but it is manageable. I have to check with my Dr. as to when I am allowed to throw.
grgreer

Postby grgreer on Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:37 pm

Oh, and track season is starting up. I start working with the throwers in high school this month.
grgreer

Postby grgreer on Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:02 pm

I am feeling good. Did some smith machine squats and felt good. I need to start with some light cleans, and some other movements to incorporate the low back in dynamic movements. I have been throwing light discus and shot with the kids for demo purposes. I need to pick it up a bit. Wills, your phone will be ringing. I am looking at the McHenry (deep creek) games as a warm up, then on from there. Middle school track is just starting meets up here in Winchester. (short season due to budget cuts) Strength wise, I am not where I was before the injury, but I am also a year older.
grgreer

Postby Mike Wills on Fri May 18, 2012 2:37 pm

Here is the belt I was telling you about:

http://www.jackalsgym.com/store.aspx?prod_id=RH-SM-BELT
Mike Wills

Postby grgreer on Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:40 pm

I will have to start saving up. It looks like I would like it. I am especially impressed that they dropped the price of the belt on the website by a whopping $1.05. Almost 1/3 a gallon of gas. I might wait to see if it goes down another 3 or 4 cents. :)
grgreer

Postby grgreer on Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:22 pm

Well. Its time. See some of you tomorrow at Penn Ren. :)
grgreer

Postby grgreer on Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:05 am

Well, I would not call my return complete as of yet. I did make it throught the day with no injuries at Penn Ren, but was a bit sore. I think I fell on the only hard spot in the sand on my last caber attempt. :shock: It was great to be out there again. All in all, I was happy that I was able to do all of the events and get three clean picks. I will be working on low back strengthening anf flexibility. More practice on the throws would not hurt. Hope everyone had a safe fourth of July.
grgreer

Return to Training