Trouble with sheaf

Training information, scheduling practice sessions, etc.

Trouble with sheaf

Postby McNamee on Tue May 15, 2012 11:58 am

So I have been working on my sheaf and have cleared 24' and now working on 25-26' problem is my sheaf is tending to leave the fork early sending it flying to my left. I thought about putting tacky on my forks but would rather fix this with technique. Any help is welcome as I am trying to reach a goal of 26' by the worlds in two weeks.

Thanks,
Patrick
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure. than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat. T.R.
McNamee

Re: Trouble with sheaf

Postby Rich McClain on Tue May 15, 2012 4:03 pm

Excellent. From my personal experience you are putting a great deal of force on the sheaf. Prior to this current issue you were told not to look or peek at the sheaf. Well now you can, sort of. What you don't want to do is look over your shoulder. You want to do is follow the sheaf up with your head while pushing with the opposite hip through the bag. As I was told last year, "just keep pulling on the sheaf until you hear it stop ripping." Just keep pulling on the sheaf in the same upward motion where you probably stop right now. You may need to take an extra step forward as you are engaging more of your back now where before it was more arms.

I hope this helps.
Richard McClain
JUST SHUT UP AND TRAIN!
Rich McClain

Postby Rich McClain on Tue May 15, 2012 4:05 pm

If we get a chance prior to worlds for any sort of practice, I can probably show you what I mean. See you soon.
Richard McClain
JUST SHUT UP AND TRAIN!
Rich McClain

Postby FrankH on Wed May 16, 2012 10:08 am

I hesitate to chime in given my recent poor sheafing, but it sounds like you might be transitioning from your swing to your pull a hair too soon.
"...never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never... " --Winston Churchill

"A goal without a plan is just a wish". --Larry Elder
FrankH

Postby Mike Wills on Wed May 16, 2012 10:15 am

Scattering to the side means you are pulling too early, and if it goes back across your body then you are pulling too late. No need for tacky on the fork. Think of the motion as a check mark instead of an arc. Get a big back swing and then try to drive the bag down over your right foot. Keep the left arm loose and relaxed until you are ready to finish the check mark and engage the left hand instantly and violently in conjunction with the leg drive and back extension on the pull.
Mike Wills

Postby TheHammer on Wed May 16, 2012 10:29 am

Thinking of the motion as a check mark instead of an arc has probably been the single most helpful terchnique i have ever gotten. If you want me to take a look we are throwing saturday mornings in cumberland... no standards just a big tree in the back yard.
Try not. Do or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

David Marble
The new sheaf gnome
and board lurker extraordinaire
TheHammer

Postby FrankH on Wed May 16, 2012 3:12 pm

Cumberland is in the far western, Appalachian portion of Maryland, United States. It is populated with people (and bears) who spend large amounts of their time making moonshine, tipping cows and wrestling tortoises. Known for their body piercings and colorful "tats", they settle arguments by tossing heavy implements for distance and tree trunks for accuracy.

During "down" time, Cumberlanders drink large quantities of beer, eat the flesh of mammals and consume Apple Jacks out of the box. The are also prodigious pickers, doomsday preppers and storage locker bidders.

(See: "Cumberland", Encyclopaedia Brittanica, 132nd Ed. for further information.)

P.S. Definitely pulling too early.
"...never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never... " --Winston Churchill

FrankH

Postby TheHammer on Wed May 16, 2012 3:46 pm

lol, but I'm talking about Cumberland Virginia...(mostly the same, just farther east)
Try not. Do or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

David Marble
The new sheaf gnome
and board lurker extraordinaire
TheHammer

Postby McNamee on Wed May 16, 2012 8:03 pm

Thanks all, still having trouble tonight with "premature departure" nothing to be ashamed of. I did not try to keep left arm/hand loose I'll try that tomorrow. I did have better throws today but not consistent.
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure. than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat. T.R.
McNamee

Postby FrankH on Thu May 17, 2012 11:29 am

So you're saying I'm confused? I would have to agree with you. I know Lee does... :D

Keep at it, Patrick. Sadly, my sheaf is going in the right place, just at very low altitude. :cry:

FrankH

Postby Rich McClain on Thu May 17, 2012 4:02 pm

McNamee wrote:Thanks all, still having trouble tonight with "premature departure" nothing to be ashamed of. I did not try to keep left arm/hand loose I'll try that tomorrow. I did have better throws today but not consistent.

I just posted a series of sheaf pictures on facebook including one where I am following the sheaf with my head and pushing my right hip through the throw. It should give you an idea of what I was trying to explain. I hope it helps. See you in a couple of weeks.
Richard McClain
JUST SHUT UP AND TRAIN!
Rich McClain

Postby FrankH on Thu May 17, 2012 4:40 pm

I am going to try that tonight, Rich. Thx.

FrankH

Postby McNamee on Sat May 19, 2012 3:11 pm

Had a great deal of success yesterday only sent it flying to the left twice. I'm not taking such a big back swing and the check mark thing really works when I focus on it. Plan to work on it some more today, thanks for all the help.
McNamee

Postby Douglas Felt on Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:16 am

Hey bud, I'm gonna chirp in my two cents if you are wiling to take it. About yen years ago I was having the same problems. This older gentleman I used to compete with in Jacksonville showed me a trick to loosen up. Grab your fork about a foot from the end of the handle and the forks with a comfortable split finger grip. With out the sheaf itself, draw back on the handle side bringing that arm parallel to the floor. Release and let your arms fall like a pendulum. Use your core to get your other arm parallel to floor. It's a weird rocking motion, left arm up, weight on left toe, rig ht toe pointed. Then reverse. Practice until it's fluid, with no weight. I gained about six feet on my toss.
Douglas Felt

Return to Training