Hammer Boots

Training information, scheduling practice sessions, etc.

Hammer Boots

Postby BrianB on Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:23 am

Is there any consensus on how high people like them to be, or all just personal preference? I know some people use a lower-cut hiking-style boot, and some a higher, military-style boot, but just wondered if there was any rhyme or reason for what people went with. . .
BrianB

Re: Hammer Boots

Postby TheHammer on Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:36 am

I like a higher cut, I feel like it lets me lean back a little farther. But that is just my personal preference.
Try not. Do or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

David Marble
The new sheaf gnome
and board lurker extraordinaire
TheHammer

Postby Rich McClain on Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:38 pm

I've always had high boots but I never really thought about it much. Like TheHammer says, I do like the security in feeling I can lean back further in them. It is more of a personal preference.
Richard McClain
JUST SHUT UP AND TRAIN!
Rich McClain

Postby BrianB on Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:15 pm

Thanks gents. Any other considerations? Leather better than mixed materials? Steel shanks OK, or make it too hard to install blades? Do you wear your regular size?
BrianB

Postby TheHammer on Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:45 pm

Steel shanks would actually allow you to use stove bolts (bolts that have rounded heads) which is way more comfortable. I used stove bolts on boots with no shank, and on a particularly might hammer throw pulled one of them out through the bottom of the boot.

David Marble
The new sheaf gnome
TheHammer

Postby Rich McClain on Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:34 pm

Over here in Western Pennsylvania we call them Carriage bolts. Basically they have a rounded head with a squar neck next to the threading. The other important part is to make sure the sole of the boot is solid. My first ones were a waffle sole which allowed the bolt over 3 years to compress all the way down to the nut on the outside. The boots I have now are some form of combat jump boots (I was never in the military) that have a solid sole and I have yet to tighten the nuts for over 2 years now. I also built my blades from stock steel bought at a local hardware store. Not including the boots I have about $30 in parts and 2 hours in time. I did burn up my grinder sharpening the last set I built. You would think a bench grinder that costs $40 would last more than 10 years. :shock:
Richard McClain
JUST SHUT UP AND TRAIN!
Rich McClain

Postby TheHammer on Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:52 pm

I did the same Rich, only didn't burn my grinder up...

David Marble
The new sheaf gnome
TheHammer

Postby Crush on Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:42 pm

While there is a case to be made for the "personal preference" of High vs. Low boots, do not forget the most important thing in your boot configuration. Unles they have a monstrous heel, you want to elevate the heel (easy as gorrilla gluing something to the heel). This allows for the knees to float through positions necessary for far throws with out the stress that being flat-footed would cause. This operates along the same principal as front squating which should never be done flat footed, but with your heels on a 5lb. plate or even higher.

Blessings,
Crush
Ephesians 3:20
"Now unto him that is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think,
according to the power that worketh in us..."
Crush

Postby BrianB on Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:18 pm

Thanks all -- definitely looking for something with a heel -- I could of course use the extra ground clearance. . .
BrianB

Postby FrankH on Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:43 pm

Isn't it Mike Wills who has hammer boots with big old heels that look like 70's platform shoes? When he has those puppies on, he's nearly 6'4". Adds about a foot, I guess. :P (jk)

I think it's mostly personal preference. Mine are mid-height. I think most guys go with whatever boots they happen to have, and modify/adapt as they need to. You definitely need rounded bolts, though, and probably nice wide washers. Several guys out there sell hammer blades, if your budget allows, (Larry Brock maybe?) although strip steel from Lowes/Home Depot or even old lawnmower blades can be used. It's nice if they're purdy, but they don't have to be.

My first blades were about 10 inches long, made from strips of steel I bought at Home Depot and filed to a triangular point. I walked around in them for the first time like someone walking in swim fins. Dave McClelland got an eyeful and hollered "nice hammer boots!" so I took the hint and chopped them down. Later I bought blades from a local artisan, friend and thrower who no longer makes them.

Some guys build up the heels, some bend the blades directly down for an inch or so before straightening them out, kind of like this: (Boot) Z___ . Some do both.

A final point to consider is that you might want to make one blade a little shorter than the other. The short (maybe 1 1/2 inches shorter) blade goes on the right if you're swinging to the left so it can release easier as you turn your body. Again, personal preference.

Good luck with your throwing, Brian-- Frank
"...never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never... " --Winston Churchill

"A goal without a plan is just a wish". --Larry Elder
FrankH

Postby BrianB on Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:08 am

Awesome, thanks Frank! I got some blades from Larry Brock, but they are still in the bubble wrap, since I haven't obtained any boots to put them on yet. Travel the next two weeks, but hoping to be able to get out and throw/learn how to use the blades the rest of July/August. Stay strong and good luck with your treatments -- let us know your progress.
BrianB

Postby robert monroe on Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:33 pm

O.K.SO I NOW HAVE A QUESTION.HOW FAR SHOULD U B ABLE TO THROW B4 USING BLADES?AND-I NOTICED STOREY DIGS HIS TOES/BLADES IN @ A SHARP ANGLE & HIS HEELS R WAY OFF THE GROUND,WHAT TYPE OF ADVANTAGE DOES THAT POSE VS. ELEVATINF THE HEELS W/BLOCKS OF WOOD ETC?
trry harder and you will suck less
robert monroe

Postby Rich McClain on Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:12 am

The first part is a trick question. Probably the best answer would be I was able to throw about 10 feet further with blades. No one can really tell you how far you should throw because of to many variables, (ie. height, strength, arm length, core flexibility, etc.)

As far as the heels up vs built up heels I's say both allow you to sink down with your knees so you can get a better angle during winds and at time of release. I would like to think that building up the heels is the better of the two.
Richard McClain
JUST SHUT UP AND TRAIN!
Rich McClain

Postby robert monroe on Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:15 pm

mr.mclain,thanks..the reason why i asked about the distance 1st is that mike barron & one other pro @ doswell last freezing/snowing/rainning games october told me i shouldnt even think about blades til i can throw bout 95-100.said that blades dont give too much in the way of distance,just stability
robert monroe

Postby Rich McClain on Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:46 pm

I disagree. I've almost always thrown with boot blades. Because of this, I've been able to learn and adjust to throwing in them. I started throwing in the high 60's without them. Once I began to employ them I saw a dramatic increase in distance by about 8' immediately after switching. I'm no pro but I use all that I have to throw far.
Richard McClain
JUST SHUT UP AND TRAIN!
Rich McClain

Postby FrankH on Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:58 pm

+1, Rich.

I would translate the pro comments to "learn the basics of throwing properly before adding hammer boots". Learning how to throw while also using hammer boots is a lot to think about. Once you can stay long and keep the hammer to the right (rightie) or left (leftie) most of the time, you're probably ready to add hammer boots.
"...never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never... " --Winston Churchill

"A goal without a plan is just a wish". --Larry Elder
FrankH

Postby TheHammer on Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:03 pm

I agree with Frank and Rich, I abstained from using boots for fear of wrecking my knees further they they already are. But at a point i saw my thorws weren't going farther, and i was actually pulling on the hammer hard enough that it was pulling me off my feet. At that point i had the basics down and my technique wasn't terrible so the only thing i had to learn at that point was adjusting to using the boots.

David Marble
The new sheaf gnome
TheHammer

Postby robert monroe on Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:18 pm

THANKS TO ALL.I APPRECIATE THE INFO.SEE U ALL @ VSG.DONT THINK I WILL HAVE BOOTS THEN BUT WHO KNOWS
robert monroe

Return to Training