Beginner in the Baltimore Area.. Advice? Contacts? Groups?

Training information, scheduling practice sessions, etc.

Beginner in the Baltimore Area.. Advice? Contacts? Groups?

Postby BmoreRook on Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:36 pm

I've been wanting to do this for a while and have no idea how to even start. Any advice or groups in the baltimore area that anyone knows of? I have a ton of questions and am not even sure if I'm the right size for this? I would think so, I'm about 6'1" 230lbs. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Mike W.
BmoreRook

Re: Beginner in the Baltimore Area.. Advice? Contacts? Groups?

Postby Gunny on Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:47 pm

Mike, Size doesn't matter. Just ask Sprout! I think he weights about a buck 75.
I'm in SOMO near the Patuxent River base, about an hour+ south of you. I haven't been too active this year but would like to get back into comps next spring. The throwing season is pretty much wrapped up for the year. If you're willing to make the drive, I have all of the equipment and can walk you through the events to see how you like it and give you some winter training advice.

Jim

PM me if your interested.
Semper Fidelis

James (Gunny) Justice
Gunny

Postby Dale on Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:58 am

Hello Mike:
Did you ever get answers to your questions? I am brand new to the forum and posted a similar question as a reply to the "Newbie In MD" thread. I am interested in getting involved but don't know anything about how to get started.

Thanks and best regards.

Semper Fi,
Dale
Cheers Mates & SEMPER FI,
Dale
Masters Athlete / SHA Certified Judge
Plank Owner - Clan Leatherneck Society & Foundation
Dale

Postby Rich McClain on Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:03 pm

The board is slower this time of year. There are a number of guys in MD, NoVA and PA that have just wrapped up their seasons and are starting their off-season. Sheaf Daddy aka Bryan McClain checks out the board and should be able to coordinate some throwers in your area and what to do.

Usually in the off-season people are recovering from nagging injuries and/or starting to lift heavy. Squats, Olympic lifting and drills are in order for the off season.
Richard McClain
JUST SHUT UP AND TRAIN!
Rich McClain

Postby Dale on Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:39 pm

Richard:
Thanks for responding. I don't know anything about getting started. Are there teams that compete or is it all individual? Are there clubs that I can join to learn from and train with? I really need someone with experience to guide me along here so I can find out if it is for me.

Dale
Dale
Dale

Postby Rich McClain on Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:17 pm

No problem. If you haven't already done so, go to thread under General tab marked "Getting Started - A guide for new throwers." The games consist of 5 to 9 events that you compete as an individual against athletes within your group. Groups can be based on age, athletic skill set, gender and weight. Masters = age 40+, Amateur B = age <40 and of beginning or moderate skill set. Not every group competes at every festival/games.

There are no clubs rather organizations that run the Heavy Events part of the festivals. There are various throwers that will get together for practices, travel to different festivals and sometimes just hang out. I'll let Bryan know that you're looking for people in your area to practice with and pick up pointers. You may want to register on http://www.nasgaweb.com which is another board that is the North American board which also has a section for newbies.

Let me know what ever questions you have.

Rich
Richard McClain
JUST SHUT UP AND TRAIN!
Rich McClain

Postby Aaron Miller on Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:32 am

Hi guys.
Sorry have been off the board since my last games. I see some newbies in Baltimore MD area. I live in Hanover PA but work in Ellicott City Howard County.

Myself and a few others in south central PA train together closer to the season opening. But I have most of the gear...not most of the skill but enough.

Send me a message and we can try to get together here soon.

Welcome to the sport.

Aaron Miller
Aaron Miller

Postby Dale on Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:09 pm

Thanks Rich, I appreciate the help. I'll keep trying to find some people in my general area.

All the best,
Dale
Dale
Dale

Postby Dale on Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:09 pm

Hi Aaron:
I live in Baltimore and would be willing to come up your way to check things out. Let me know if you guys are going to get together at all this winter.

Thanks for offering to help us new guys.
Dale
Dale
Dale

Return to Training