Diet tip

Training information, scheduling practice sessions, etc.

Diet tip

Postby Clancelt on Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:20 am

Ok, this is actually kind of funny. I was reading the April 2008 Musclemag and there was a article about burning fat. Had a workout routine, mostly ab work to build some def and cardio for overall cal burning, and a nice little diet plan. The author was really pushing fiber supplementing because the usual high protein diet most of us eat is really shy on the fiber content.

I started going over my diet and you know what, he's right. Other than a bowl of Allbran in the morning, I had almost zero fiber in my diet. So I need to fix that! In the article he recommended Metamucil, 2 servings first thing in the morning and 2 more in the afternoon. I don't like the taste of that stuff so I picked up a bottle of Fibersure. It has NO taste. You can actually mix it with a glass of water and it still taste like plain old water. It's also 5g of fiber per serving, Metamucil is only 3g.

So starts my new addition to the diet plan. My wife, the RD, walks into the kitchen just as I finish downing a shake which now includes 10g of fiber. She sees the bottle and ask what it's all about. I tell her about the article I read and my plans. That is when her professional advice kicks in.

"Don't take a whole serving to start. ease into it slowly. It takes a while for your body to adjust to an increase of fiber intake"

Not something someone who just downed a double dose wants to hear! :shock:

My advice, listen to my wife. She is very smart with this kind of stuff. Wow that stuff works fast..... ugh.
I'll spank you smartly with my spank ray.
Clancelt

Re: Diet tip

Postby FrankH on Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:35 am

Still recovering from a bout of diverticulitis, and armed with antibiotics and an order to supplement with and eat more fiber, this sounds like good advice to me! Bryan McClain recommended Fiber One bars, so I'm eating one with breakfast. 9 grams of fiber, and they taste pretty good. Plus a supplement at night.

Geez, are we geezers or what? Talking about fiber-- and getting into it, no less! We're getting old, my brother! :shock:
"...never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never... " --Winston Churchill

"A goal without a plan is just a wish". --Larry Elder
FrankH

Postby Sheaf daddy on Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:51 pm

Fiber One bars taste great - My kids love them! and they have 9 grams of fiber. I actually do one mid-morning and sometimes one at night.
Trish: Colin go get your bike and put it away!

Colin: Okay but someone is going to swoop down, stop, take a picture and sell it on the internet.
Sheaf daddy

Postby barbe705 on Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:54 pm

Haven't you people ever heard of fruits and vegatables?
barbe705

Postby Clancelt on Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:56 pm

Are they made of meat?
Clancelt

Postby Jeff Storey on Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:05 am

veggies, it's what meat is made of. mmm, veggies-by-proxy....
I eat vegetarians, is that sufficient? please advise.
I used to think this kitchen was big, until I saw you guys in here...
-AGM's mom
Jeff Storey

Postby barbe705 on Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:03 am

I was a a vegatarian for 17.5 years. I'd advise not trying to eat me.

brent
barbe705

Postby scotbybirth on Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:44 am

Too much fiber.... uhhhggggg.... :o (as he reads on....) Your wife is absolutely right! The recommended daily intake for the average person is about 30-35 grams, if I remember correctly.... that's not including if you are on a high protein or low carb diet. I tried it once, and was miserable :shock: If you can find them, try the kashi go lean bars- very tasty, and good amount of fiber (not too uncomfortable). Also, Ginny and I were out yesterday (Vitamin World in Williamsburg Outlet Mall) and discovered Cytosport Muscle Milk with fiber... I have not found it online yet though... MMMMMMMm...... veggies!
"All men with honor are kings, but not all kings have honor... Honor is a man's gift to himself." -Liam Neeson as Rob Roy MacGregor.

-Chris Kenyon
scotbybirth

Postby S McCracken on Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:58 pm

benafibler also works well and has no taste i put it in everything even egg whites. Also make sure you get a fiber that desolves completly, medasludge will clean out your colon but has little health benafites like a good desovable fiber source.
I like grren beans with my meat does that count for veggies?
North American Highlander Ohio Chair
http://www.nahighlander.com
S McCracken

fiber, veggies, and vegetarians

Postby randy on Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:14 pm

from what i hear, fiber's the stuff that makes ya poo. maybe i'm blessed in that dept...i'm a twice-a-day kinda guy.

so fulla crap, my cup runneth over!

ahahahaaahahhaahahahh

veggies are the colorful things that get heaped on my plate next to the meat. and since i'm a longtime member of the Clean Plate Club, veggies on the plate means veggies get et.

just saw an article on the news about a recent study on long life...outta 450 of those good ol' timers, not one vegetarian! good enough data for me!
(20% were 40-yr smokers! many were obese or overweight! turns out, the gift of long life appears to be a gift after all -- appears to be genetic!)

this discussion brings to mind the "Mad Max" character on John Boy & Billy who once addresses PETA with the statement, "If God hadn't intended us to eat animals, He wouldn't have made 'em out of meat!"

wwwaaaaaaahhhahhahhahahhhahahhahahahaahhahhaha!!!

rking
STAY HUNGRY!!
randy

Postby S McCracken on Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:16 am

get your fiber up and you will go 3-4 times a day.
S McCracken

Postby Sheaf daddy on Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:58 am

and that is a good thing?

oh by the way the whole urban myth that the average american has 10lbs of redmeat in their bowels is BS

Colin: Okay but someone is going to swoop down, stop, take a picture and sell it on the internet.
Sheaf daddy

Postby S McCracken on Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:29 pm

you saw Beverly Hills Cop this weekend too.
S McCracken

Postby Sheaf daddy on Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:55 pm

no but is always funny how many people quote that as a real statistic and they forget that is came from an Eddie Murphy comedy.

Sheaf daddy

Postby scotbybirth on Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:06 pm

10 lbs. ? I thought it was 5....
"All men with honor are kings, but not all kings have honor... Honor is a man's gift to himself." -Liam Neeson as Rob Roy MacGregor.

-Chris Kenyon
scotbybirth

Postby Sheaf daddy on Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:03 am

still - not true - get a colonoscopy sometime. You don't weight 5lbs less after the "cleansing" process

Sheaf daddy

Postby Clancelt on Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:07 am

But you will walk kinda funny... :lol:
Clancelt

Return to Training