Nice week in the basement

Training information, scheduling practice sessions, etc.

Nice week in the basement

Postby miked on Sat Mar 08, 2008 1:31 pm

The week started off slow, no workout monday or tuesday.

Wednesday did a good max effort Pull workout culminating in a new PR in the clean, 295.

Thursday had a good max effort push workout and narrowly missed a PR in Push Press. I dumped 295 from about 2 inches shy of lockout. It made a really pretty noise when it hit the floor, despite the rubber mats. Holly thought I was dead. I think I probably would have gotten it if I had tried again, but I was a little scared, I must admit, with no partner/spotter.

Saturday morning, leg workout. Hit a nice PR in the Front Squat, 405. Props to BJ, he was standing behind me yelling something unintelligible the whole time, and then punched me multiple times in the back as I racked the weight.

So, it looks like the off season is working out for me. Hopefully I will be able to refine the technique some more and translate the increased strenght into longer throws.
miked

Re: Nice week in the basement

Postby Stephen Malutich on Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:11 pm

nice lifts mike....buy a long bathroom mirror and hang it up where u are doin your push presses and you miss lifts a lot less :O)

helped me break a lot of barriers when dealing with olympic lifts....seeing the weight go up builds a lot of confidence and allows you to snap your head under the bar properly without fear of 350lbs landing on you

not only that you can admire the fruits of all those curls you've done over the years practicing the "is it this way to the gym" pose
Stephen Malutich

Postby Clancelt on Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:32 pm

I have one of those mirrors. I just like having another pretty face to work out with. It does motivate you! :D
I'll spank you smartly with my spank ray.
Clancelt

Postby Rich McClain on Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:51 pm

Another pretty face!? LMAO!!!!! :lol: I too have one of those mirrors. I use it to bitch at the other guy for poor form. Second round of snow hitting now. Supposed to be about 14". UGH! I want to throw! :x
Richard McClain
JUST SHUT UP AND TRAIN!
Rich McClain

Postby Clancelt on Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:07 pm

Rich, don't be hate'n :P
Clancelt

Postby Rich McClain on Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:22 pm

At least I'm regular! Does that mean I'm not full of crap? Just kidding. I need to drop about 4" around the gut. I have trouble doing cardio in the garage, but I am thinking of ways to get it all moving. See you in 3 short weeks!
Richard McClain
JUST SHUT UP AND TRAIN!
Rich McClain

Postby miked on Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:46 pm

I have been planning on putting a mirror on the wall to keep an eye on form. This is the first time I have based my entire regiment on olympic style lifting. I think being able to see myself will help with the technical stuff. I can tell I am still a bit off on timing and positions in the cleans/snatches and push presses. And, I am still finding the groove in the front squat. I nearly lost the 405 out front, but then BJ yelled something and I thought "don't @%&@$*! dump it."
And, I am getting a little tired of Holly laughing at me while I practice my posing routine. I mean, hey, so what if I am in tighty whiteys?
As you can see by my avatar, I can definitely hit the double turkey wing pose with some serious pop.
miked

Postby Mike Wills on Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:56 pm

You may have to consider making a pilgrimage to Bunker Hill next weekend for a little lifting.
Mike Wills

Postby bjketchem on Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:22 pm

It was a sweet lift ...and as I explained to you, the shots to the back was simply to "check your core stability with 405 pound resting on your clavicles" :lol:
I will be the new, improved and almost as good-looking Mike Wills.
bjketchem

Postby Jeff Storey on Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:33 pm

Mike Wills wrote:You may have to consider making a pilgrimage to Bunker Hill next weekend for a little lifting.

are ya'll selling tickets to that gun show?
I used to think this kitchen was big, until I saw you guys in here...
-AGM's mom
Jeff Storey

Postby miked on Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:49 pm

You know Mike, I was planning on asking you if Willsy's House of Pain was open, yet. I want to come out and get a little session in and have you critique my DL form and help me figure out a way to get the heavy weight moving without rolling my back up.

So, yes, I accept your invitiation. :mrgreen:
miked

Postby Mike Wills on Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:54 pm

When do you want to come up? I was thinking Saturday about 10-10:30am...what do you think? Any other takers?
Mike Wills

Postby Clancelt on Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:23 pm

Well I was going to take you up on the offer Mike, but I just googled Bunker Hill and it's a 2.5 hour drive for me :shock:

I could of used the pointers. Well, and I might stand a better chance at lifting than throwing :lol:
Clancelt

Postby Mike Wills on Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:46 pm

My address is:

389 Charming Lane
Bunker Hill, WV 25413

However, even though the address changed about 7 years ago, some of the map.GPS programs still list the address as:

210 Southside Lane
Mike Wills

Postby Rich McClain on Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:00 pm

That must have been when you moved there, Charming. :P

Bunker Hill is cool though, I live on Sherman and Bryan lives on Stonewall. Are there any other military references to addresses?
Richard McClain
JUST SHUT UP AND TRAIN!
Rich McClain

Postby Rich McClain on Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:45 pm

Minor setback, all better now. I had planned to get in some workouts this past weekend, but I had to push Sue out of the snow and tweaked my right knee. Well with the last week of Principles of Accounting and a tweaked knee, I didn't lift. I finished the class strong to get an "A" and hit the garage tonight.

Day one/cycle 7 focus on explosive

It has been 6 days since I last worked out and 27 days since the last day one.

Temperature in garage, 34 degrees.

Snatch 95x5, 115x5, 115x4
Snatch Hi-pulls 135x3x3
Hexbar Jump shrugs 255x3, 275x3, 295x3
Up-right rows 85x3x3
Seated Arnold Press 50sx3x3
Core Twists 45x3x3
Crunch Holds 60 sec
Superman Hold 45 sec

There is still some snow on the way for this weekend, but once that is here and gone there should be no more snow. If I can get the ally cleared, I should have some room to move and practice spins.

see you all in a few short weeks!
Richard McClain
JUST SHUT UP AND TRAIN!
Rich McClain

Postby Jeff Storey on Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:16 am

Hey Mike, I'm game if you'll have me, and the Sheaf Daddy doesn't need us for caber fetching.

And Rich, I currently live on Bunker Hill Rd, in The Plains, and I used to live on Walsingham Ln, Marshall Va, just minutes from the birthplace of John Marshall, a famous something-or-other. :lol: and Walsingham was some general after the Revolutionary War.
Oh, and I used to go to school literally next door to the Second Manassas Battlefield. and my current college is on the other side of a small town from a little-known but important battlefield, and the address is Battlefield Drive.
My friend's house literally has a Civil War cemetery in the front yard. the neighbor's house was formerly a store that housed a makeshift hospital and there are several unmarked graves of Union and CSA soldiers there.
Oh, and the Famed Grey Ghost of the Confederacy (and namesake to my favorite cat) used to shoot cannon over my old house to confound the railroad in Marshall.
I'm sure if I thought about it, I could get u some more. You'd have to dead from the neck up not to "get" history in Va, because it happened. right over there!
-AGM's mom
Jeff Storey

Postby Mike Wills on Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:14 am

Yeah Jeff...that's cool...still haven't heard any confirmation back from MacDickens on the day and time.
Mike Wills

Postby miked on Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:01 pm

Hey Mike, I am still waiting to hear back from Bryan who is still waiting to hear back from Jim about fetching cabers this weekend.
We were supposed to do it Saturday. But, if we aren't then I am coming to the Bunker HIll Sports plex.

If we do, then can we get pumpalicious next Saturday???
miked

Postby miked on Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:16 pm

Hey Mike, we are running up to Hurry Burry to harvest some cabers on Sunday. Holly asked me to devote only one day this weekend to HG stuff, so . . . . can we get pumpalicious next weekend?? :(
miked

Postby Mike Wills on Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:58 pm

That would work better anyway. I have what feels like a pulled IT Band??? in my right leg. I have never pulled anything on the outside like that, and it isn't a tear like the hamstrings...feels like something that I can work through as long as I can take the pain...but a few days off would probably help.
Mike Wills

Postby Jeff Storey on Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:16 am

okay, sounds good to me too.
is there throwing happening this weekend? I have an itch that I need to scratch!
-AGM's mom
Jeff Storey

Return to Training