Training - Richmond area

Training information, scheduling practice sessions, etc.

Training - Richmond area

Postby Burke on Wed May 29, 2013 3:36 pm

Hi all. Just an FYI for all the folks who live and train in the Richmond VA area. There is a great training facility at 3413 Carlton Street, it's Incite Fitness / The Weight Room. Olympic lifting, strongman training, weight lifting (general), cardio and more. Really nice folks train there as well. Very positive atmosphere.

Just thought I would throw it our there. hope all is well.

Also, are there any HG event training groups still active in the Richmond area?
"The True Measure of a Man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good".
Burke

Re: Training - Richmond area

Postby TheHammer on Wed May 29, 2013 4:15 pm

Richmond? not so much. Patrick and I were talking about possibly getting together in powhatan/cumberland which isn't too far away... but we haven't ironed anything out. My wife and I are just training in the back yard.
Try not. Do or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

David Marble
The new sheaf gnome
and board lurker extraordinaire
TheHammer

Postby Burke on Wed May 29, 2013 7:03 pm

Thanks for the update !

Would you mind keeping me posted in case things change and you folks do begin some training gig? Thanks if possible :mrgreen:

All the best
Gene
"The True Measure of a Man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good".
Burke

Postby jaredwilliambarber on Fri May 31, 2013 9:34 pm

The Weight Room is where its at! First time is free, come check it out. https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Weig ... ts&fref=ts The owner just released a GroupOn that's a real good deal.

As for training, I know myself, Gene, and a couple other guys are interested in training. I'm told there's a field in Richmond that would work great for training, I don't know how hard it is to get/make implements.
jaredwilliambarber

Postby McNamee on Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:04 am

Just bushhogged about an acre last week and set up a wob standard. need to burn a whole lot of brush and grind some stumps. I want to set up some throwing lanes for hammer and weights. I really want to complete it buy July/Aug time frame. I was even thinking of bringing in sand for the implement landing areas to help identify distances. I will most likely plant a clover/fescue mix for the field. Also need to set up sheaf standards but I want to use the military surplus aluminum radio poles for that, so if anyone has a line on those please let me know.
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure. than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat. T.R.
McNamee

Postby TheHammer on Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:18 pm

I have set in my back yard....

David Marble
The new sheaf gnome
TheHammer

Postby McNamee on Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:03 pm

so is that the set you use or an extra set?
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure. than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat. T.R.
McNamee

Postby TheHammer on Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:49 pm

That is the set I use, but i'm willing to loan it to the field as long as my wife and I can throw there. If you want your very own set go here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/12-ea-4-ft-Rib-Aluminum-Military-Antenna-Mast-Support-Poles-w-o-Bag-NEW-/121065803114?pt=US_Radio_Comm_Antennas&hash=item1c30158d6a I bought two sets to make mine... it will go about 36 feet with that many poles.

David Marble
The new sheaf gnome
TheHammer

Postby JosephR on Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:31 pm

I didn't want to make a new thread. But I am interested in getting into heavy athletics. Are there still groups that train in the Richmond,VA area?
JosephR

Postby TheHammer on Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:29 am

Not in Richmond, but Powhatan. (on the Cumberland side) We meet three days a week. Shoot a PM to McNamee to get the address.

David Marble
The new sheaf gnome
TheHammer

Postby JosephR on Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:03 am

Thanks for the response I'll do that.
JosephR

Postby gonzocult82 on Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:36 pm

I train in West Point. Its about the same distance from Richmond as Powhatan/Dave Marble. So if you are on the east side of Richmond, I'll be a bit closer.
Chris Parker
gonzocult82

Return to Training